2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure hope we bring Jordan Keras on.

Adam Sambono has to be considered too? X factor player we need. Would thrive under likes of Littlejohn, Fagan...

LDU for me with pick 1. He is AFL ready and have gone back and watched GiantRoo's clips and you can just see with the way he looks for the 45deg kick straight away and to keep the ball moving on. There some slight areas of concern and think that he isn't the inside bull that we need but he can go and get the ball in the contest if needed. He presents as someone that can have that duality of inside and out that is required.

Andy Brayshaw is someone that I am thinking could be a very good option later and within an AFL environment will become quite a good player. In the Nationals champs he didn't get too much of a run on the ball but this shows that he can also play other positions.

He is another that was played out of position in the national champs but, it might have been yourself who raised his name, I did keep an eye out for him when they played WA and he showed some really good passages down back and does have a bit of speed as well.

I'm a little perplexed by the noise around Dow, I thought he had a good champs but nothing that screamed top 3. Not a lot did really. I thought that Zac Bailey showed just about the same and there's little to no noise about him. Dow will still go 5-10 though.

I was all excited by Cameron possibly coming but just lately I would pass on him. Last week 13 of our 22 were 22 and they really did show something in parts throughout and for possibly the first time in a long time I could see the light at the end of the tunnel you might say. Eventhough it's not the strongest draft but I reckon there is still some quality in it. Keep building through the draft, back our recruiters in.
I'm not sure whether Cameron will ever be much more than he is now, but at the very least he's an important piece of a good forward line. Aside from the extremely injury prone Christensen, we have 0 competent small forwards on out list (Zorko and Taylor could do it, but are more valuable elsewhere). Richmond aren't great by any means, but look at the difference their army of small forwards make to an other wise average and overly defensive side. Having the likes of Lester and Keays trying to do that job just doesn't cut it.

I'm not sure whether Cameron will ever be much more than he is now, but at the very least he's an important piece of a good forward line. Aside from the extremely injury prone Christensen, we have 0 competent small forwards on out list (Zorko and Taylor could do it, but are more valuable elsewhere). Richmond aren't great by any means, but look at the difference their army of small forwards make to an other wise average and overly defensive side. Having the likes of Lester and Keays trying to do that job just doesn't cut it.
Agree with our current lack of small forwards on our list and pretty well much the ridiculous state that we have to have Lester and Keays in those positions. I just keep coming back to our age profile and our major need of midfield talent/depth as our greatest need. A lot of the leagues small forwards were taken mid range to late/rookie in the draft and would hope that we would do that this year. There's also Izac Rankine next year who looks like an absolute beauty and will go quite high in the draft showing his real value (which kind of counters my previous statement). I see our situation as state of building and then trading for need in 2/3 years time.

I am with a couple on our board that we need pace, explosiveness and/or a point of difference with our first 2 picks. Eg. Cameron Rayner, Lochie O'Brien, Jaidyn Stephenson, Jack Petruccelle, Jack Higgins.

Although if Nick Coffield is available (unlikely) with our 2nd pick I would go him there, the best user of the football in this draft crop, dare I say Witherden like.

There is also a possibility that Coffield/Dow or someone else could surge up the rankings ah la Tim Taranto/Clayton Oliver and be too good to refuse with our first pick.

So what's the choice for pick 2, we won't have pick 1, we'll beat the Blues bus weekend and North in round 22. Can't see North wining another game that leaves us with pick 2.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We cant be that stupid 3 yrs in a row..........beat Carlton then let a few players qualify for the Neafl finals......have early operations etc.

We cant be that stupid 3 yrs in a row..........beat Carlton then let a few players qualify for the Neafl finals......have early operations etc.

That stupid? Look how well we drafted last year without pick 1. We also preferred Schache to Weitering the year before and it didn't effect our other picks. There's also no standout number 1 pick this year.

Ridiculous to think not tanking is stupid

I hope we are exactly that "stupid".

This s**t has been covered ad nauseum for the last decade or so and it has well and truly been established that Brisbane does not, does not want a culture of tanking for the sake of draft position. Lets not go there again.

Yep, very rarely the number 1 pick ends up being the best player in his draft year in hindsight. I have seen a number of players named as the number 1 in different BF and MSM draft boards, Rayner, LDU, Dow, Fogarty, Brander, Stephenson, Cerra have all been rated that high through the last 12 months.

#lionsnevertank

I hope we are even "stupider" and beat the Suns and the Dogs as well...

In fact, I wouldn't mind us winning every single game til the end of the season!

Well said SB....I just think #1 rather than #2 will strengthen our hand in negotiations in ALL the drafts! You never know what player may become disgruntled out there. I am more than happy with our progress this season and beating Carlton would be a great injection of joy but we always win our last game of the season which gives us hope for the next season but I like to think we are a bit more "clueier" (as SB would put it) this season as we already have the 2018 hope!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst i don't agree with your statement, i think it is quite funny.
The most important thing for our young group at the moment is confidence.
Confidence in themselves, the game plan and the direction of the footy club.
The best thing for that is wins, and we have a few winnable games coming up, no way we even consider throwing them games for a guaranteed pick 1. In what is widely considered a pretty shallow draft. Even if we win 3 more games, we will still get pick 2.

The best thing for that is wins, and we have a few winnable games coming up, no way we even consider throwing them games for a guaranteed pick 1. In what is widely considered a pretty shallow draft. Even if we win 3 more games, we will still get pick 2.
Pick 1, 2 or 3:), = Meh.

You are right Dlions.........

I tell ya. Paddy Dow is were we should be investing. I haven't watched many draftee games this year compared to the past few years so I don't really know who was considered top 10 material. I looked up some names from the draft board and out of all the blokes I've seen Dow was the one who stuck out for mine. Raynor I'm 50/50 on, can he play midfield minutes is the major question. He's a good prospect but whispers wanting to stay in Victoria worries me, although not sure if true or not. LDU projects to be a is consistent '200 gamer' but he lacks point of difference IMO. Reminds me a bit of a upgraded Redden IMO who at his prime was an honest workman who plays his role, neat skills and willing tackler. Nothing wrong with that but I feel we are in a position to be a bit more aggressive. Dow has a point of difference to our current crop. Has some break away pace, attacks the contest hard, reads the ball in congestion and off ruck hands very well, late birth month and a slighter frame suggest he still has room to grow physically. He's 8-10 kgs lighter than his opponents but still manages to stand up in tackles and dispose of the ball which is a good trait to have. Never gives up even when out bodied. Bendigo country player as well which is another box ticked.

Feel much the same SM, i would like a midfielder with a great point of difference. I was big on Rayner for that exact reason, but understood there was a significant risk with his fitness. Seen Cotters post about Dow and he really sparked my interest in him, looks like a potential great fit for us.

Interesting with the birthdates too, a few of the top rated prospects are in a similar position, with Rayner, Dow, Coffield and Cerra all having October births. (From Bishops Phantom thread) Wonder how much effect this has on the perceived strength of the draft.

I like Hunter Clark that you suggested earlier too. Having a look at a few phantoms and where players are projected to go I'd be happy with

Pick 1/2 Dow/Rayner
Port pick Lachie Obrein
2nd rounder Hunter Clark
If we were then able to match a Ballenden bid with a pair of later picks, it would make for another strong draft for us.

Agree with our current lack of small forwards on our list and pretty well much the ridiculous state that we have to have Lester and Keays in those positions. I just keep coming back to our age profile and our major need of midfield talent/depth as our greatest need. A lot of the leagues small forwards were taken mid range to late/rookie in the draft and would hope that we would do that this year. There's also Izac Rankine next year who looks like an absolute beauty and will go quite high in the draft showing his real value (which kind of counters my previous statement). I see our situation as state of building and then trading for need in 2/3 years time.
Is Rankine a small fwd or midfielder?

Here is a combined draft board from 6 phantom drafters from the footy prophet website. Gives a good spread of opinions. Click on image to increase size. Will Sutherland has selected cricket.
391067_bed45da96b12a06c78e82a8fab0ae100.png

http://footyprophet.com/big-draft-board/

I had a dream that we drafted Gryan Miers...

What? Doesn't anyone else dream about potential draftees :cool:
Actually funnily enough, l dreamed about talking to Dow and he said that out of any club he would like to go to Brisbane because when he travelled to Ausralia, the Lions were helping him a lot. It even had a backstory where we were doing some run for a school or something lol. However, l rarely remember my dreams so l take this as prophecy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back