2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice article, liked the part about his commitments this year and the time that he is putting into his schooling and football. I especially liked the part about accessing a private trainer. They're small things but in AFL land would mean more IMO. Find it interesting about why AFL clubs would be querying about the surfing. I thought that they were wanting their players to do things outside of football. On that note, natural footer which would suit surfing on his forehand with the breaks up here. Would get the club to throw that in when they do their interview with him.
I would have thought extra curricular activities would have been encouraged.
In his case - I would imagine he must be quite good and their concern would be whether he would pursue it more full time.
But i would think once he has made the decision to follow footy then that is the decision made.

Sure did. Signed a new contract and then quit a few months later.... Was pretty unhappy with the way Carlton had started doing things.
I wasn't talking about anything that happened with Carlton. The article states that he covers the state leagues, which he did when he first arrived at Brisbane in 2015. Since the start of last year he's been your club's SA and WA recruiter.

I wasn't talking about anything that happened with Carlton. The article states that he covers the state leagues, which he did when he first arrived at Brisbane in 2015. Since the start of last year he's been your club's SA and WA recruiter.

Sounds like Graeme Hadley has left the building then?

I think it will be interesting to see how Rayner tests out in the new endurance tests at the draft combine. He has an October birthday and the draft prospects with the birthday's later in the year tend to have more upside. He is a bit of a unique case though as he is such a strong, powerful athlete that I think he has probably cruised to this point of his young career on his talent and physical strength hence his poor testing results in the beep test earlier in the year. Since being added to the AIS program and having access to elite coaching and conditioning staff I'd be surprised if his endurance hasn't improved. He has no doubt been informed that it is something he needs to work really hard on.

In the article below Rayner states himself that his goal in the AFL is to be a midfielder who can push forward. With that in mind it is even more likely that he's been told from guys like Luke Power that he'll have to improve his endurance dramatically. As a member of the Vic Metro leadership group he is obviously a good young kid and more than likely sets a good example as a hard worker on the training track so I think it is more likely than not that he'd be taking the advice regarding his endurance on board.

http://essendondfl.com.au/rayner-grabbing-afl-opportunity-with-both-hands/

The 17-year-old’s future in the AFL certainly looks bright, as his aggression in the midfield allows him to be a dynamic player.

“I want to go into football and become a predominant midfielder that can push forward,” he said.

I feel like our list is lacking a game changing, match winning star player and Rayner definitely has the potential to be one of those. He excels in just about every aspect other than his fitness so it is a wait and see on whether he can improve that aspect of his game. Even if he works his fitness to the point where he can spend a 5 minute burst in the centre of each quarter he'd be very handy I think. He's got the potential to be one of the most dangerous forwards in the AFL so if he spends the majority of his time up there with smaller bursts in the middle where he is capable of dominating the clearances we'd have a real game changer on our hands. He is the type that can change the course of a game in 10 minutes by kicking two goals in 5 minutes in the forward line and then moving into the middle for the next 5 minutes and winning a couple of clearances and setting up another couple of goals.

Prospects will continue to rise and fall as the season comes to an end and the draft combine rolls around and in this time I'll continue to monitor Rayner's progress as he is one of the more exciting prospects to come through in the past 5 or so years in my opinion.

I think it will be interesting to see how Rayner tests out in the new endurance tests at the draft combine. He has an October birthday and the draft prospects with the birthday's later in the year tend to have more upside. He is a bit of a unique case though as he is such a strong, powerful athlete that I think he has probably cruised to this point of his young career on his talent and physical strength hence his poor testing results in the beep test earlier in the year. Since being added to the AIS program and having access to elite coaching and conditioning staff I'd be surprised if his endurance hasn't improved. He has no doubt been informed that it is something he needs to work really hard on.

In the article below Rayner states himself that his goal in the AFL is to be a midfielder who can push forward. With that in mind it is even more likely that he's been told from guys like Luke Power that he'll have to improve his endurance dramatically. As a member of the Vic Metro leadership group he is obviously a good young kid and more than likely sets a good example as a hard worker on the training track so I think it is more likely than not that he'd be taking the advice regarding his endurance on board.

http://essendondfl.com.au/rayner-grabbing-afl-opportunity-with-both-hands/

I feel like our list is lacking a game changing, match winning star player and Rayner definitely has the potential to be one of those. He excels in just about every aspect other than his fitness so it is a wait and see on whether he can improve that aspect of his game. Even if he works his fitness to the point where he can spend a 5 minute burst in the centre of each quarter he'd be very handy I think. He's got the potential to be one of the most dangerous forwards in the AFL so if he spends the majority of his time up there with smaller bursts in the middle where he is capable of dominating the clearances we'd have a real game changer on our hands. He is the type that can change the course of a game in 10 minutes by kicking two goals in 5 minutes in the forward line and then moving into the middle for the next 5 minutes and winning a couple of clearances and setting up another couple of goals.

Prospects will continue to rise and fall as the season comes to an end and the draft combine rolls around and in this time I'll continue to monitor Rayner's progress as he is one of the more exciting prospects to come through in the past 5 or so years in my opinion.

I'm kinda boring and safe with draft picks but I think I like LDU for us at this stage. I tend to think we have game winning and star quality in our keys (both ends) and we just need a solid and efficient contested midfield core to bring them to the fold. Berry, Matho, LDU may seem pretty blue collar but I'd back it to be pretty effective in 3 years time.

Somehow I think Rayner will end up at North Melbourne given they've clearly put the cue in the rack and we'll win more games than them over the next 6 games, including one against them in Brisbane in the last round.

Somehow I think Rayner will end up at North Melbourne given they've clearly put the cue in the rack and we'll win more games than them over the next 6 games, including one against North in Brisbane.

I'd think he'll be at GWS. If that $9 mill offer is true and they have pick 1 plus whatever to offer then it would be hard to see Kelly not ending up there.

Big hypothetical here.. BUT if North happen to have pick 1 and they trade it to GWS for Kelly, would the draft point deduction from the Whitfield saga be taken from that? Or just their original first round pick?

Big hypothetical here.. BUT if North happen to have pick 1 and they trade it to GWS for Kelly, would the draft point deduction from the Whitfield saga be taken from that? Or just their original first round pick?

Pretty sure their ramifications just eradicate their first pick. Everything else is fine. dlanod help, curious myself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it would be like when Adelaide and Essendon were stripped of high picks. They can trade back into those rounds.
That makes the most sense. It would be pretty cruel of them to just keep pushing picks down, although they did ban Sydney from trading so really anything can happen

Pretty sure their ramifications just eradicate their first pick. Everything else is fine. dlanod help, curious myself

It's not completely unambiguous as nothing has explicitly stated when the 1,000 point penalty gets applied, before or after trade week. However IMO (and lining up with the AFL.com.au reports and their draft order) it'll get taken off GWS's first round pick at the end of the season, so trading in pick 2 will leave it untouched.

I thought doing a deal like last year was just a dream but if we get pick 1, and if GWS get pick 2 from the Roos and if they are convinced we want Rayner - because LDU is no great need for them - well then...........

That said, I am leaning to Rayner ATM. We have the only pick 1 we will have in my time - I hope. I want a player that will grow into a Dangerfield, a Martin. Not just a "good" midfielder. Vanilla. A Robbie Gray/Cyril up forward for 5 years till he fully matures into a genuine superstar mid appeals to me.

I thought doing a deal like last year was just a dream but if we get pick 1, and if GWS get pick 2 from the Roos and if they are convinced we want Rayner - because LDU is no great need for them - well then...........

That said, I am leaning to Rayner ATM. We have the only pick 1 we will have in my time - I hope. I want a player that will grow into a Dangerfield, a Martin. Not just a "good" midfielder. Vanilla. A Robbie Gray/Cyril up forward for 5 years till he fully matures into a genuine superstar mid appeals to me.
While that sounds good, it will only benefit us if he stays for his career. With rumours around flight risk, l don't know if we should take that chance with a pick 1

While that sounds good, it will only benefit us if he stays for his career. With rumours around flight risk, l don't know if we should take that chance with a pick 1

We start to operate like that we will never win another flag. Most of these rumours seem to be big footy paranoia - nothing to do with the real world. Trust the club to do due diligence, and if they decide this is who we need, trust the club to retain him.

We start to operate like that we will never win another flag. Most of these rumours seem to be big footy paranoia - nothing to do with the real world. Trust the club to do due diligence, and if they decide this is who we need, trust the club to retain him.
Its good in theory but there are definitly prospects out there that don't want to come to Brisbane. It's not BF either, draft watchers, forgotten their names (someone Anderson l think), said that he is a genuine flight risk. We can trust the club all we want but if a prospect doesn't want to come, we are wasting it (Wines, Wingard)

I agree with this.

If the club is continually being frightened out of picking best available and /or best fit for our needs, by "flight risk" we may as well pack up shop and go play in the Little League.

That said, I believe it would definitely help our cause if draftees were bound to a minimum of 3 years to the club that selects them.

images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back