List Mgmt. 2017 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality of the situation is that we really dont need a Tom Lynch at Richmond , We could just have -
Himmelberg (we really should have gone hard at this kid)or any big foward that is strong and has the ability to chace and tackle and understands the game plan

We have a unique situation where our team is Midfield based with quality rotations, We do need to find a Rance replacement though and thats where the 2 players in Balta & Allen really fit our needs.

Player that really suits our game plan is Tom McCartin , Really like what this kid offers and what he will become, He's only 17 year old
194cm 85kgs and has a massive tank finished top 10 in the yoyo test and is a hard worker running up/down the ground with a very good leap

Kid will need work with his goal kicking but is young enough to mould him into a Nick Riewoldt type of foward which suits our game plan perfectly
You are either seriously underestimating the impact of our champion key forward or you think he will play forever. Jack is 29, Lynch is 25 and if we can afford him as a free agent, we must get him. Himmelberg would have cost us a first round pick and although a nice type, is not in the same league.

McCartin kicked 9.18 from 13 games, so his kicking clearly needs a lot of work. There is bugger all footage of him I can find. Do you have any or are you going off what you've read/been told?

Considering we're getting Naish, should be taking O'Brien as they're fairly similar outside types? Not an urgent need right now
O'Brien is a classy user who runs all day. Depends who else is available and who else we've already picked but I wouldn't be against it if we already had say Brander and Balta (dream result) in the bank.

You are either seriously underestimating the impact of our champion key forward or you think he will play forever. Jack is 29, Lynch is 25 and if we can afford him as a free agent, we must get him. Himmelberg would have cost us a first round pick and although a nice type, is not in the same league.

McCartin kicked 9.18 from 13 games, so his kicking clearly needs a lot of work. There is bugger all footage of him I can find. Do you have any or are you going off what you've read/been told?

O'Brien is a classy user who runs all day. Depends who else is available and who else we've already picked but I wouldn't be against it if we already had say Brander and Balta (dream result) in the bank.

Im not under estimating the impact of a Key Foward but saying that getting a Lynch type is not easy and they dont fall out of tree's - Getting Tom as a FA is not going to be easy and the chance of getting him to Richmond is probably less than 10%

Whilst Jack Riewoldt was a 'Star' Foward 2-3 years ago, He no longer plays that role and we dont require him to be that player any longer ,Just be a 40-50 goal foward that is more defensive and creative - Himmelberg can be that type of player and is close to being that within 1-2 years (if he gets a look in from Patton/Cameron/Lobb)

I have a good client who has a son thats friends with Tom and been speaking with him a bit about what he's doing, You wont see alot of vision around due to Tom missing a bit of football due to his injuries last 2 years, I have seen tom play just once but my client seen alot more and is a very good judge of football - He was the person who mentioned Richmond has an interest

There is a small snippet on the draft Hub

there is a clip of McCartin in the Draft machine, he's a very good mark judging by that clip.

also Bishop have you got the new Y&B book & read the chapter on our recruiting? curious as to your thoughts?

Just watched the international rules game and there must be a couple of Irish players that are worth rookie drafting.
One guy 'Walsh' was lighting quick and I think would make a very good outside midfielder.

Did anyone pinpoint players they thought worth taking a chance on? If so, what traits did they have that would make them worth picking up?

i like the looks of who we are being linked with. any of balta, allen, brander, bonar, o'brien. I like the look of ballard too.

naish i'm not sold on and same for hayes.

if i had pick 1 i'd take andrew brayshaw

just my 2 cents

be it sam hayes or not we need another ruck because soldo will never make it
I doubt we will recruit a ruck but I have to agree with your opinion of Soldo. He is a gumby.

Ill give you a name - Ben Miller .......... You will love him

he is Rioli fast for a player 197cm
i will learn to love anyone who pulls on our jumper and plays his guts out.

Me too (except Ben Lemon)
lennon didn't try his guts out he didn't chase and then had a sook after getting dropped and hit us up for more cash and tried to leave. then you see someone like townsend comes over fails at first put in the magoos and not given another go never complains plays his arse off for over a year until finally given one last shot when he was trying to get jack to hook him up with a trades job and then plays his role and makes himself impossible to be dropped. one is a super talented lazy cocksmack the other is a battler who has a heart of a warrior and will run through a brick wall for his mates and fans

be it sam hayes or not we need another ruck because soldo will never make it

Don't agree with that give the kid a chance only 20 years old and took up the game late. Ruckman always take time.For the games he played he held his own against more senior rucks and took a few nice grabs.Needs to get involved more and build his tank,but to right him off now is to early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't agree with that give the kid a chance only 20 years old and took up the game late. Ruckman always take time.For the games he played he held his own against more senior rucks and took a few nice grabs.Needs to get involved more and build his tank,but to right him off now is to early.
just my opinion mate i hope he proves me wrong and has a great career but i dont rate him

Assuming we dont have to use 17 on Naish, you're not suggesting we take him there right? Or even our next pick? There are likely to be other kpf/kpd and mids who are much better options.

The Naish selection could decide if we go with a tall like him. But I would personally prefer our best rated kpf/kpd + mid + Naish (assuming we have to take him < 25).

So if all our prefered options are taken, and we rate this kid, we take the chance as you suggest. However, we have changed the game, that 2nd ruckman is obsolete, but if he can become our number 1 and be a NickNat, we take him.

If he a Hampson type...... what da ya reckon? Pick 25 at best?

just my opinion mate i hope he proves me wrong and has a great career but i dont rate him

I agree, Soldo will be a backup ruck at best to fill in for injuries but will never make it No. 1. I also don’t think Moore or Chol will ever get near the level, which is why we need to be picking up at least 2x KPP this draft.. if we get Naish after our first 3 picks, I’d be hoping we went:
1- Brander/Allen
2- Balta
3- best available

The more I read this thread, the more unsure I am of who we will or won’t get in the draft...
I think the only certainty is that we will draft pat Naish. A lot on this thread counting chickens, assuming no one will bid on him before pick 17. I hope he slides, but I wouldn’t be unhappy if we had to use our first to get him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back