24/11/17 6pm National Draft: Picks 47, 51, 58, 60 + 61

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be something to this - a poster on the Geelong board mentioned that a 'moderately reliable source' told him that he wants to head back to South Australia.

Could see him filling the role that Gray is filling this year - the deep lying forward who is isolated one on one. If he could play spurts in midfield it would be even better.

Wouldn't swap Pittard though. Menzel is the type you take as a free hit to improve your list, not make it weaker by getting rid of a running half back. Unless we're really into Johannisen too...

Straight swap its probably fair.
I would only agree if Menzel didn't have his extensive ACL history. Realistically speaking, he is still in a higher risk category. If we swapped our 3rd round for their 2nd, or possibly our 4th for their 3rd, then yep.

I think this rumour might have legs. I also have a baseless suspicion, just a hunch, that Mackie might end up at Port as an assistant coach when he hangs up the boots.

Someone explain guys
If pittard is going to Geelong and Menxel port
Aren't they both better off just letting them go as free agents and getting the pick 20ish as compo for both of them?

Someone explain guys
Aren't they both better off just letting them go as free agents and getting the pick 20ish as compo for both of them?
1 in 1 out. No compensation. That's the reason why we chucked a late pick for Gus so it didn't effect our compo for Chappy and Pearce.

Isn't free agency compo linked to games played and $ for next contract? If so Pittard would be worth lots more than Menzel so a straight swap would be dumb on our behalf.

In the Geelong games I've watched this year Menzel's impressed me more than any player other than Dangerfield and Selwood. Extremely talented and you can see why Geelong stuck by him. He's also a very strong overhead mark.

Given our lack of reliable, accurate goal kickers I think he'd be a great inclusion.

Menzel ain't coming here
Troy more likely
And anyway Menzel will get a new 2 year deal at the Cattery, the clubs in negotiations with him anyway

Menzel ain't coming here
Troy more likely
And anyway Menzel will get a new 2 year deal at the Cattery, the clubs in negotiations with him anyway
Ah ok then, fair enough. Case closed guys, let's all go home.

Menzel ain't coming here
Troy more likely
Thanks Scotty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys seem to grossly overate players in this board
Pittard is a one season wonder, crock of crap clangering footballer
Better tan Mackie well three premiership hmmm, Stewart in his first season has done quite well and Bews is developing into a great small defender I mean he's keeping Betts and Elliot to one goal games. So compare him to Mackie but not Bews and Stewart.

Don't use the premierships argument fella....

Better tan Mackie well three premiership hmmm, Stewart in his first season has done quite well and Bews is developing into a great small defender I mean he's keeping Betts and Elliot to one goal games. So compare him to Mackie but not Bews and Stewart.
Overrating players you mean like packaging Guthrie and magic beans for pick 8, carn

Menzel is heading towards a 60 goal season. Nothing to sneeze at.

Thing I dont like is he's had 14 tackles in 12 games.
Knees mean he can't really apply pressure, much more 1D than his pre-knee days, which is shame as he was looking like a future star of the comp.
Personally think it amounts to nothing, don't think he'll leave and don't think we'll sign Pittard either.

Think he's just waiting until the end of the year, if he gets through unscathed, likely with 50 or so goals then it'll be used as leverage for a better deal, which for him means security of more than 1 season.

It's one thing to fantasize about signing Menz, I fully appreciate where that comes from. But putting him in the midfield? His game is based on running in straight lines because he can barely turn. He's as pure a forward as you're likely to see in todays game and nothing more, the injuries have limited him but his remaining attributes and smarts are still enough to make him seriously damaging.

I doubt he'll go, but we'll see. It's interesting how with Dusty, Kelly, Casboult, Reid etc. trade and FA speculation has begun so early this year.

With this kind of grammar and the Ford factory closing down, what kind of career options are available in Geelong? Murdering teenagers in hotel rooms and getting away scott free still available?!

Someone explain guys

I would think it's better for one of the clubs to trade for one of the players. That way a compensation pick suddenly appears from nowhere.

Lets say both players were rated end of first round.
Option one is straight swap - which is the same net result as both going as free agents to each other's club.

But let's say we trade our second round pick for Menzel (arguing to the afl that his knee history is a concern).
Then Geelong take pittard as a free agent and we get an end of first round pick.

Net result the players still swap clubs, but we also get an upgrade of our second round pick.

Of course you work the deal together with Geelong so we both benefit a bit and it works with any pick value.

Lol this Hella bloke is the same one asking about Jacko in the list management thread, let me guess not better than Rhys Stanley or Aaron Black but would pick him & Pittard up for free even though the latter won't get a game ahead of a scragger like Bews or an evergreen Mackie.

Ahh big footy early trade talk :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back