Status
Not open for further replies.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have a feeling RTB will play ibbo, ballz and susan purely to lift the exchange rate for them. If we can do a mayne = Bhill with all 3 we will be smilier than a cheshire cat. I would think JJ is firmly in our sights. Our other massive need is a true FF. Throw some money at Josh Schache or Mcgovern???
Very hard to judge our forward line preseason, if all goes well we look okay, especially with Bennell, Balic, and Cox to
hopefully make an appearance.
Jake Patmore is rumored to be the first WA player picked, but the kid I like the look of is Hunter Clark, versatile player
that kicks with either foot.
This kid doesn't hold back and just attacks the ball, really takes the game on.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have a feeling RTB will play ibbo, ballz and susan purely to lift the exchange rate for them. If we can do a mayne = Bhill with all 3 we will be smilier than a cheshire cat. I would think JJ is firmly in our sights. Our other massive need is a true FF. Throw some money at Josh Schache or Mcgovern???

McGovern isn't really a true KPF. Not sure he offers us much that McCarthy doesn't. More a medium forward than KPF tbh. Would probably fit into the side somehow but doesn't really solve the problem. Would cost at least a second rounder. We may have other priorities, if by some miracle it was possible to beat the eagles for his signature (given his brother plays there).

It'd be great to get a mature aged guy in but I feel we've got more chance of finding a Podsiadly than luring a non-WA born gun KPF. You'll only find a Podsiadly once in a blue moon as well. Perhaps Brett Eddy was our chance but he didn't really fit our list model. So basically it's Hogan (won't happen for 2-3 years at least) or off to the draft. If we have a top 10 pick and there's still a gun KPF available just go for it. They'll always be quality mids available in the top 20 of every draft.

If JJ is tempted across here though good luck having that top 10 pick. He'd be very close to worth it too if the pick is between 6 and 10 IMO. Gun player. Our top priority if Sandilands goes is a ruckman though. Not suggesting using a first rounder, I wouldn't personally but a future second rounder could be on the table.

Last edited:

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we are truly doing a four year rebuild, most of the ingredients are already there. Don't know if we can
get lucky twice, with the players bought in at that value.
Sure the ruck could be an issue, but the hardest player to replace for me is Johnson, who can play on the
third tall, but also an elite half back.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
If we are truly doing a four year rebuild, most of the ingredients are already there. Don't know if we can
get lucky twice, with the players bought in at that value.
Sure the ruck could be an issue, but the hardest player to replace for me is Johnson, who can play on the
third tall, but also an elite half back.

If Hamling and Collins prove capable of taking the oppositions best two talls we could use Alex Pearce in the MJ role which would be fantastic. Big IF though, both are still pretty inexperienced and aren't particularly big for key defenders either. There's also Logue to consider but I want to see him play a bit before pigeonholing him in a particular role.

meesy

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Hamling and Collins prove capable of taking the oppositions best two talls we could use Alex Pearce in the MJ role which would be fantastic. Big IF though, both are still pretty inexperienced and aren't particularly big for key defenders either. There's also Logue to consider but I want to see him play a bit before pigeonholing him in a particular role.

Pearce is the only one around 200 capable of manning up the uber talls like Jenkins and Buddy. Pretty sure Collins, Logue and Hamling give away 5cm to these guys. Not saying height is everything but you would struggle if those kinda guys got their hands free.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Pearce is the only one around 200 capable of manning up the uber talls like Jenkins and Buddy. Pretty sure Collins, Logue and Hamling give away 5cm to these guys. Not saying height is everything but you would struggle if those kinda guys got their hands free.

Yeah, that's why I said it was a big if. It would be an utter luxury and a dream scenario. Having said that, Lukey Mac was still able to provide plenty of rebound in his prime despite him usually manning the best forward so it's not like Alex couldn't still launch attacks from HB.

Aaaand now I'm depressed that we won't be seeing him until at least mid-season

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
A.Pearce, Hamling and Collins are all not great kicks. Only really Hamling has shown he can play on smalls. It'd be a disaster all of them playing in the same backline IMO. I find the suggestion of playing A.Pearce whose probably the worst kick of the lot as a third tall bizarre tbh. I don't really rate Collins tbh so I'd just play Hamling and Dawson/A.Pearce. Collins is good depth though.

Just play Logue who was drafted as a third tall defender there or if we play him midfield just do what half the teams in the league do and play a medium who can play tall and has above average skills there. I'm thinking guys like Josh Gibson and Dane Rampe.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Joel made 100kg of Buddy mince in the Grand Final.
I don't really want him playing that role though. A Pearce seems much better equipped for it, although against the Swans there are multiple talls forward so it is a bit inevitable that he will be outsized at some stage. Just need to get a balanced group down there, and at the moment we have a bunch of weaknesses (mainly age and skills) in our talls that will get slowly addressed with A Pearce, Logue and Cox phased in.

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
A.Pearce, Hamling and Collins are all not great kicks. Only really Hamling has shown he can play on smalls. It'd be a disaster all of them playing in the same backline IMO. I find the suggestion of playing A.Pearce whose probably the worst kick of the lot as a third tall bizarre tbh. I don't really rate Collins tbh so I'd just play Hamling and Dawson/A.Pearce. Collins is good depth though.

Just play Logue who was drafted as a third tall defender there or if we play him midfield just do what half the teams in the league do and play a medium who can play tall and has above average skills there. I'm thinking guys like Josh Gibson and Dane Rampe.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm struggling to think of any KPD that stood out for me as 'great' kicks. Many decent ones. Harry Taylor comes to mind but I can't think of any with similar skills to, say, Walters who I consider a great kick. There were many times I was a bit nervous when Elvis went on one of his bolts though he was smart enough to stick with safe kicks often to guys in space, from memory. It makes me wonder how essential it is a skill for KPD? Maybe it's more important for mids are HBs to run off their opp and get in some space to get the ball, or the hand pass or small kick to the Heath Black, Chris Yarren types?

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm struggling to think of any KPD that stood out for me as 'great' kicks. Many decent ones. Harry Taylor comes to mind but I can't think of any with similar skills to, say, Walters who I consider a great kick. There were many times I was a bit nervous when Elvis went on one of his bolts though he was smart enough to stick with safe kicks often to guys in space, from memory. It makes me wonder how essential it is a skill for KPD? Maybe it's more important for mids are HBs to run off their opp and get in some space to get the ball, or the hand pass or small kick to the Heath Black, Chris Yarren types?

All true but that's not the point I'm making, I'm saying that playing three KPDs in the one defence will limit rebound and will course more turnovers. KPDs can be reasonably poor kicks but need to be good decision makers. You won't see many cut open teams like a Walters or S.Hill can but you'll see them score very high disposal efficiency stats even more so than guys you'd consider good kicks. If anything you're kind of strengthening my point tbh.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
View attachment 343040

Well he is good mates with Bennell. ;)

Fwd Line
Bennell - McCarthy - Dusty
Walters - Apeness - Langdon

Being fed by
Sandi - Fyfe - Neale
Hill - Mundy - Hill

We could dream. :eek:

Interesting question though, we were into Hogan which would have cost big dollars and I would assume the plan would have included Fyfe's larger contract.... so where did the Hogan money go? McCarthy would have been super cheap. Hill with his personal dramas and 'only want to play with my brother' would have also come at a discount. Can't imagine Kersten and Hamling on huge contracts.
According to Richmond posters - Dusty thought Harley was too much of a party animal and told the club. :drunk::thumbsu:

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

There's a few out there and most of the good teams have one (McGovern, Gibson, Rampe, Morris, Enright, Grundy etc) but I take your point that it's usually or ideally left to the running HB's.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm struggling to think of any KPD that stood out for me as 'great' kicks.
J.McGovern (and our own Johnson) but I agree, it's very rare. I don't recall Alex Pearce being that bad a kick in juniors. Maybe it's just the pressure? Given the gates were wide open last year I don't know how any of our back line could have their kicking fairly assessed.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's a few out there and most of the good teams have one (McGovern, Gibson, Rampe, Morris, Enright, Grundy etc) but I take your point that it's usually or ideally left to the running HB's.

How many of those players are actually over 190cm though. Most of those guys are genuine medium sized players who can play small and tall. So valuable.

Gussman

All Australian
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
View attachment 343040

Well he is good mates with Bennell. ;)

Fwd Line
Bennell - McCarthy - Dusty
Walters - Apeness - Langdon

Being fed by
Sandi - Fyfe - Neale
Hill - Mundy - Hill

We could dream. :eek:

Interesting question though, we were into Hogan which would have cost big dollars and I would assume the plan would have included Fyfe's larger contract.... so where did the Hogan money go? McCarthy would have been super cheap. Hill with his personal dramas and 'only want to play with my brother' would have also come at a discount. Can't imagine Kersten and Hamling on huge contracts.

Well Mundy, MJ, Suban, Ibbo, Ballas and Sandi are all likely on big dollars and coming off contract at the end of the year. Likely freeing up quite a bit of money.

Also if I had to guess a team Martin would go to I would say Collingwood cause he looks the part or Hawthorne.

This year is a good year for KPP in the draft apparently. If we can do a Mayne =pick 20ish for each then upgrade those picks plus our first for an a high draft pick we could grab a good KPF in the draft. If we can grab JJ too then that would be amazing. However I doubt JJ will leave the Bulldogs.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Well Mundy, MJ, Suban, Ibbo, Ballas and Sandi are all likely on big dollars and coming off contract at the end of the year. Likely freeing up quite a bit of money.

Also if I had to guess a team Martin would go to I would say Collingwood cause he looks the part or Hawthorne.

This year is a good year for KPP in the draft apparently. If we can do a Mayne =pick 20ish for each then upgrade those picks plus our first for an a high draft pick we could grab a good KPF in the draft. If we can grab JJ too then that would be amazing. However I doubt JJ will leave the Bulldogs.
My guess is there will no more mayne deal from other club except mayne do very well with collingwood. Most club will be waiting to do GU,silvagni, Barlow, deboer , ryhs Palmer kind of deal. Basically freo will go in with 1st ,3rd and fourth rd. This left freo massive gap of afl experience between best 26 players and the rest.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
My guess is there will no more mayne deal from other club except mayne do very well with collingwood. Most club will be waiting to do GU,silvagni, Barlow, deboer , ryhs Palmer kind of deal. Basically freo will go in with 1st ,3rd and fourth rd. This left freo massive gap of afl experience between best 26 players and the rest.

You realise all these players are free agents. Clubs can take them for free anyway if a contract is agreed despite the fact we'd get the compensation pick if the contract was big enough.

If I had to guess now Sandilands (maybe not - I give it 60/40) and Johnson will retire, Mundy and Ballantyne will still be at freo, Ibbo will play elsewhere and Suban and Clarke will be out of the system completely.

The gap between the best 26 players and the rest shouldn't be much different to most rebuilding sides tbh. We'll probably look at the trade market again so we can probably find some there if we decide we need to.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
You realise all these players are free agents. Clubs can take them for free anyway if a contract is agreed despite the fact we'd get the compensation pick if the contract was big enough.

If I had to guess now Sandilands (maybe not - I give it 60/40) and Johnson will retire, Mundy and Ballantyne will still be at freo, Ibbo will play elsewhere and Suban and Clarke will be out of the system completely.

The gap between the best 26 players and the rest shouldn't be much different to most rebuilding sides tbh. We'll probably look at the trade market again so we can probably find some there if we decide we need to.
Will be , as spurr ,Dawson , d pearce ,griffin add up there is lot of afl experience there , as you mention most of the rookie list players will be cut , I don't see there is any good local league players available as other club will look at them too. Who would want to come back home ? Jj too expensive , hogan contracted , brotherly love( b.hill already come back).

Last edited:

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
What is the value if sherriden ,croz and suban going home. Anyone here will do a deal sending them to bulldog and get Adams and JJ. Maybe giving them a draft pick .

For them Jj is rookie list before turn into very good player

Adams a second round pick ( lower end)

For freo draft year pick

Suban pick 24
Sheridden 16
Croz 20

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sandilands will not retire next year. That is a well-known fact. From the standpoint of eternity.
Agreed. Barring cat ass trophy, Sandi'll be in the ruck for us in 2018.

For freo draft year pick

Suban pick 24
Sheridden 16
Croz 20
Only chance of getting anything for them is if they eventually decide to leave as free agents - we MIGHT get some 3rd round picks. Hypothetically if we score a couple more 3rd rounders they could be on-traded on points value to a GWS or somebody looking heavily into father/son bidding in that year for a better pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back