2017 England v West Indies (3 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to see WI challenging England here, although their form in the warm up games hasn't been awful.

Happily, Kemar Roach is back in the side and in good form - a fillip for WI as he is a very good bowler at his best. Unhappily, despite the settling of the dispute between the WICB and some of their senior players, it didn't come in time for them to be considered for this tour, so they are still without, among others, their best bat in Darren Bravo.

Anyhow - first Test starts tomorrow, at Edgbaston.

Will be interesting to see how the D/N concept works over in England. Good signs with ticket sales thus far.

It's a bit unfounded given England's recent form, but think it will be closer contest than one would immediately think. I like the West Indian attack and while expect England's batsmen to come out on top over the course, I reckon there will be an innings or two where Gabriel, Roach and Holder have their way with them.

Hard to see WI challenging England here, although their form in the warm up games hasn't been awful.

South Africa's 3-1 loss shows that no team can beat England on home soil. They were previously the only team who has done well in England in recent times.
The Windies are decent in ODI and T20 , but weak in the test arena.

South Africa's 3-1 loss shows that no team can beat England on home soil. They were previously the only team who has done well in England in recent times.
The Windies are decent in ODI and T20 , but weak in the test arena.

You mean aside from Sri Lanka 3 years ago and Pakistan and New Zealand drawing with them in the last 2 years?

(Yes I know drawing doesn't equate to beating)

England are a good side, especially at home, but they're not untouchable. South Africa's own china-fragile batting, coupled with Moeen Ali, covered a few deficiencies in the most recent series. As an avid supporter of them in the Ashes, they need to get it sorted.

In a weird way this is probably one of the west indies' better chances to do a bit overseas in a while. They lost 2-1 in UAE and should have won 2-1 but aside from that, a couple of missed opportunities in SL 2 years ago is as well as they've done recently.

The pink ball factor, the unsettled England top order, and the suitedness of Holder and Roach to English conditions gives them a chance to do a bit. If Gabriel can play like he did against Pakistan earlier this year that would be a great help also.

Batting wise a lot rests with Braithwaite, Chase and Blackwood if they pick him. Not sure where else the runs in the top order will come from. Dow rich and holder give them a bit down lower.

In a weird way this is probably one of the west indies' better chances to do a bit overseas in a while. They lost 2-1 in UAE and should have won 2-1 but aside from that, a couple of missed opportunities in SL 2 years ago is as well as they've done recently.

The pink ball factor, the unsettled England top order, and the suitedness of Holder and Roach to English conditions gives them a chance to do a bit. If Gabriel can play like he did against Pakistan earlier this year that would be a great help also.

Batting wise a lot rests with Braithwaite, Chase and Blackwood if they pick him. Not sure where else the runs in the top order will come from. Dow rich and holder give them a bit down lower.

Not that you'd put a lot of stock in it, but Powell made some runs in the warm-up.

Not that you'd put a lot of stock in it, but Powell made some runs in the warm-up.

Powell has been a strange one since he came back into the fold. Absolutely destroyed their domestic one day comp. which doesn't sound like much but is rare for anyone to do as well as he did. 4 tons in 5 games at one stage I think. Has looked capable since coming into the test side but hasn't made the runs to back it up.

You mean aside from Sri Lanka 3 years ago and Pakistan and New Zealand drawing with them in the last 2 years?

(Yes I know drawing doesn't equate to beating)

England are a good side, especially at home, but they're not untouchable. South Africa's own china-fragile batting, coupled with Moeen Ali, covered a few deficiencies in the most recent series. As an avid supporter of them in the Ashes, they need to get it sorted.

Please, im talking consistent performances over time. South Africa always did well when they came over here. Sri lanka managed one fluke win in a 2 match series , when they usually get smashed.

Please, im talking consistent performances over time. South Africa always did well when they came over here. Sri lanka managed one fluke win in a 2 match series , when they usually get smashed.

The point remains mate. In 3 years they've lost once and been drawn with twice. None of those were by South Africa.

They're good at home, but not impregnable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoneman is just another Adam Lyth type player. No way can he be trusted for the Ashes tour..
Hales slammed a double ton in country cricket playing down the order. I hope he makes it onto the tour.

Stoneman is just another Adam Lyth type player. No way can he be trusted for the Ashes tour..
Hales slammed a double ton in country cricket playing down the order. I hope he makes it onto the tour.
I think Aussie fans hope he does too.

This is the best I've seen Cummins bowl in his limited international career to date. Simple run up and action. Sprayed it initially but has looked good since.

Just as I say that, Root hits a decent ball beautifully for 4

Well that went south pretty quickly.

Makes it so hard, even if you're regularly bowling good balls which we were for good portions of the first few hours, if you are bowling a boundary ball an over. Before a player knows it, he's 25, seeing it well and settled in.

Edgbaston serves up another road.Reminds me of last summer when every wicket was like this..
Only reason PAK were able to steal a draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back