2017 England vs South Africa [4 Test matches]

Remove this Banner Ad

It staggers me that Bavuma can be targeted and Duminy isn't.
One is still very young, averages 10 more away than at home so clearly isn't fazed by unfamiliar conditions, passes 50 every 3.8 innings, and has proven repeatedly that he can dig his team out of a tight spot.

The other is in his mid-30s, averages virtually the same at home and away, played arguably 2 of his 3 best innings in his first two tests, passes 50 every 5 innings, and has an almost identical strike rate (can't f***ing fathom how it is relevant to either player really especially when you have De Kock in the team) to the first bloke. Hell, even Bavuma's bowling is probably as good as Duminy's.

Well, Duminy is being questioned. The only reason he's probably in the team is because Rossow took a Kolpak deal.

Bavuma was decent in this match but his overall record is pretty ordinary. 1 hundred in 21 Test matches at 32 is pretty damn poor and you could understand if this sort of thing was a factor in some of those fringe players taking Kolpak deals.

South Africa need to accept their batting unit isn't what it was and move De Kock up the order. He's being wasted in the team at #7 when they're struggling to field a Test standard top 6. If England can move Bairstow to 5 there's absolutely no reason De Kock can't do the same.

Well, Duminy is being questioned. The only reason he's probably in the team is because Rossow took a Kolpak deal.

Bavuma was decent in this match but his overall record is pretty ordinary. 1 hundred in 21 Test matches at 32 is pretty damn poor and you could understand if this sort of thing was a factor in some of those fringe players taking Kolpak deals.

South Africa need to accept their batting unit isn't what it was and move De Kock up the order. He's being wasted in the team at #7 when they're struggling to field a Test standard top 6. If England can move Bairstow to 5 there's absolutely no reason De Kock can't do the same.

Almost all of the Kolpak players from memory are bowlers.

Yeah the only batsmen on Kolpak at the moment are Roussow and Ackermann. Guess you could say Vilas as well as a keeper-batsman.

All would be thereabouts on the fringes of their test squads. Ackermann very promising and a big loss for the future, but with Markram and de Bruyn had some stiff competition anyway.

Playing De Kock so down the order is crime. He is such a talented kid and he has to bat with tail-enders ?

A few have been mentioned above as well as I believe Stiaan Van Zyl. That being said Van Zyl wasn't up to it ether and probably wouldn't have played Tests again.

Race quotas at the other levels have forced people like Tom Curran into county cricket..

the mass exodus of talent because of their quota's will result in them being a weak team. This touring side is easily the weakest S.A team I have seen. When they have a batting lineup full of Bavuma's they will be at Zimbo level .

Ingram is another one, though he had a chance. One would hope that talented black will emerge, but they don't put enough money into the grassroots level. Most of the non-whites go through their elite schools programs. Ntini was an exception.

Quotas will hurt more at lower levels than at the top.

The reason - assuming it doesn't get to the point where they have to pick 8 black players - that they will never fall to West Indian levels is because the culture differs markedly in SA cricket. It's been always based on hard work and discipline, even their gifted stars like abdv and Steyn have shown countless times that at the end of the day, their performances have just as much to do with hard work as they do with ability.

The West Indies - while their golden generation had passion and good cricket brains - wasn't founded on hard work. So when the talent level suddenly wasn't littered with freaks (though I still think there is more than enough there), the performances dropped off.

Putting in the effort to improve will ensure that if nothing else, SA remain competitive even if they drift back from the high level they've had for the last decade.

County clubs are paying them more than CSA can afford. The quota moaners do a good job overlooking that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few have been mentioned above as well as I believe Stiaan Van Zyl. That being said Van Zyl wasn't up to it ether and probably wouldn't have played Tests again.

Ah yes forgot about he and Ingram. I didn't mind van Zyl, would still be thereabouts.

Race quotas at the other levels have forced people like Tom Curran into county cricket..

the mass exodus of talent because of their quota's will result in them being a weak team. This touring side is easily the weakest S.A team I have seen. When they have a batting lineup full of Bavuma's they will be at Zimbo level .

Curran is Zimbabwean you muppet.

Curran is zimbo and moved to England as a teen right?

Well personally I'd go pride over dollars. Unfortunately money talks for a majority of the population. Not saying it's right or wrong, just not my cup of tea.

Well personally I'd go pride over dollars. Unfortunately money talks for a majority of the population. Not saying it's right or wrong, just not my cup of tea.

Mate we're talking like an exchange rate of one pound to 20 rand.

To players who at best were in and out of the test team.

JP got dropped for the captain ,while morris comes in which is a strange one guessing backing 20/20 form , an the poms go in unchanged,

Last edited:
Curran is zimbo and moved to England as a teen right?

Yeah turns out they were forced out of Zimbabwe by Mugabe's thugs..
Apparently the father got killed when their farm got raided. 2 of the 3 Curran brothers were born in England , but spent time in South Africa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back