Competitions 2017 Essendon Board Draft Game - Sign up/Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I like how you unnecessarily initialed players like Bennell and Morris but didn't do so for players like Martin and Reid
Oh I didn't realize Jamie is no longer playing, my bad. And there's a different Martin? Oh yes Stefan, I didn't think anyone would believe he was playing on a half forward flank :p:p

Final List:

FB: Zach Tuohy (Geelong), Jacob Weitering (Carlton), Aaron Francis (Essendon)
HB: Daniel Rich (Brisbane), Jake Carlisle (St. Kilda), Elliot Yeo (West Coast)
C: Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide), Dion Prestia (Richmond), Dayne Zorko (Brisbane)
R: Ivan Maric (Richmond), Patrick Cripps (Carlton), Dan Hanneberry (Sydney)
HF: James Sicily (Hawthorn), Cameron McCarthy (Fremantle), Christian Petrecca (Melbourne)
FF: Orazio Fantasia (Essendon), Tom Boyd (Footscray), Jake Stringer (Footscray)

B: Liam Duggan (West Coast), Blake Acres (St. Kilda), Mitch Brown (Essendon), Jake Melksham (Melbourne)

My Final Squad:
B: Tom Barrass (WCE) - Rory Thompson (GCS) - Rory Laird (ADE)
HB: Zach Williams (GWS) - Michael Hurley (ESS) - Kade Kolodjashnij (GCS)
C: Josh Kelly (GWS) - Nathan Fyfe (FRE) - Andrew Gaff (WCE)
R: Sam Jacobs (ADE) - Brad Crouch (ADE) - Matt Crouch (ADE)
HF: Mitch McGovern (ADE) - Jesse Hogan (MEL) - Jamie Cripps (WCE)
F: Steven Motlop (GEE) - Patrick McCartin (STK) - Rory Lobb (GWS)
I/C: Liam Shiels (HAW) - Brent Stanton (ESS) - Rory Atkins (ADE) - Josh Caddy (RIC)

Pick 1 - Nathan Fyfe (Fremantle)
Pick 26 - Michael Hurley (Essendon)
Pick 27 - Jesse Hogan (Melbourne)
Pick 52 - Rory Lobb (GWS)
Pick 53 - Andrew Gaff (West Coast)
Pick 78 - Sam Jacobs (Adelaide)
Pick 79 - Tom Barrass (West Coast)
Pick 104 - Rory Laird (Adelaide)
Pick 105 - Steven Motlop (Geelong)
Pick 130 - Josh Kelly (GWS)
Pick 131 - Zac Williams (GWS)
Pick 156 - Brad Crouch (Adelaide)
Pick 157 - Matt Crouch (Adelaide)
Pick 182 - Patrick McCartin (St Kilda)
Pick 183 - Mitch McGovern (Adelaide)
Pick 208 - Rory Thompson (Gold Coast)
Pick 209 - Jamie Cripps (West Coast)
Pick 234 - Liam Shiels (Hawthorn)
Pick 235 - Kade Kolodjasnij (Gold Coast)
Pick 260 - Rory Atkins (Adelaide)
Pick 261 - Brent Stanton (Essendon)
Pick 286 - Josh Caddy (Richmond)

Well now that the draft has finished, I think it's time for the trade period to open. As this is usually a pretty quiet period, I suggest we keep it short and sharp by ending it on Saturday at 10pm. Then in the following few days, try to do a write up (as short or long as you like) on your team before we get into the voting.

Also, if anyone that hasn't edited in their team sheet into their first post in the draft thread could do so then that'd be great :thumbsu:.

Well now that the draft has finished, I think it's time for the trade period to open. As this is usually a pretty quiet period, I suggest we keep it short and sharp by ending it on Saturday at 10pm. Then in the following few days, try to do a write up (as short or long as you like) on your team before we get into the voting.

Also, if anyone that hasn't edited in their team sheet into their first post in the draft thread could do so then that'd be great :thumbsu:.
It'll be interesting to see if anything gets done, willing to discuss options with people myself but it'll prove tricky with the restriction of only having 22 players. Or are we allowed to dip into the remaining players as sort of a free agency pool, if there's any 2 for 1 trades?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. I'd have MightyDons4 ahead of either. Mercuri Rising's defence just screams "leaky smalls" IMO.
Langdon doesn't leak many goals from what I've seen and Guthrie is a very good stopper when given the role. He has Saad and Johanissen for speed and dare which after the grand final I see many teams wanting line breaking speed in the back half.

Langdon doesn't leak many goals from what I've seen and Guthrie is a very good stopper when given the role. He has Saad and Johanissen for speed and dare which after the grand final I see many teams wanting line breaking speed in the back half.
Langdon is an okay stopper. Guthrie is good but Saad and JJ are poor defenders (well JJ is okay at best). If Essendon played against that defence I'd expect 10+ goals from Walla, Fanta and Green.

Interesting. I'd have MightyDons4 ahead of either. Mercuri Rising's defence just screams "leaky smalls" IMO.
Strongly disagree. The closest to "leaky" would be Johannisen, and it's a bit of a moot point - he'd be played as the most attacking defender, breaking lines off HB. Have the luxury of using Guthrie in a lock-down role, which he has excelled at. Saad is more than adequate defensively (and again is there to provide rebound too), and if those three don't cover it for whatever reason (or you want to swing an extra man back and let Johannisen/Saad/Guthrie off the chain) Langdon is playing 3rd tall but is more than capable of playing small. Getting a TON of rebound without really compromising on defence, as far as I'm concerned - wouldn't have picked anyone who was going to be torn apart just for the sake of more rebound, and I don't think I have. You're welcome to disagree. :)

Strongly disagree. The closest to "leaky" would be Johannisen, and it's a bit of a moot point - he'd be played as the most attacking defender, breaking lines off HB. Have the luxury of using Guthrie in a lock-down role, which he has excelled at. Saad is more than adequate defensively (and again is there to provide rebound too), and if those three don't cover it for whatever reason (or you want to swing an extra man back and let Johannisen/Saad/Guthrie off the chain) Langdon is playing 3rd tall but is more than capable of playing small. Getting a TON of rebound without really compromising on defence, as far as I'm concerned - wouldn't have picked anyone who was going to be torn apart just for the sake of more rebound, and I don't think I have. You're welcome to disagree. :)
Saad is easily the weakest link defensively. He's been torn apart on multiple occasions the past couple of years.

Langdon is an okay stopper. Guthrie is good but Saad and JJ are poor defenders (well JJ is okay at best). If Essendon played against that defence I'd expect 10+ goals from Walla, Fanta and Green.
Disagree on Saad, I think he does well enough and gives heaps going back the other way, more than worth it for me. On JJ, don't mind having one attacking HB that's average defensively, but that said he's not exactly a liability anyway.

Disagree on Saad, I think he does well enough and gives heaps going back the other way, more than worth it for me. On JJ, don't mind having one attacking HB that's average defensively, but that said he's not exactly a liability anyway.
Fanta gave Saad a bath in round 21, as did Walters a few weeks before that. Gold Coast have had more goals kicked against them by small forwards than any other team for a reason.

It'll be interesting to see if anything gets done, willing to discuss options with people myself but it'll prove tricky with the restriction of only having 22 players. Or are we allowed to dip into the remaining players as sort of a free agency pool, if there's any 2 for 1 trades?

Surely this is the case. If not there may as well be no trade period.

Fanta gave Saad a bath in round 21, as did Walters a few weeks before that. Gold Coast have had more goals kicked against them by small forwards than any other team for a reason.
Case in point, the game against us was his first in the seniors after 12 weeks out with a hamstring. And he didn't play that game against Freo, when Walters kicked four. Are you thinking of someone else? Or Freo vs. GC in Round 2 (which I don't remember)?

I can't say I've watched him religiously, but I don't know that I've seen him have a stinker apart from when he's been injured, which he was in the back half of 2015 & 2016.
He doesn't really shut his player down. They always seem to bob up for a couple of goals; added to his stinkers. He was like that for Coburg too.

Case in point, the game against us was his first in the seniors after 12 weeks out with a hamstring. And he didn't play that game against Freo, when Walters kicked four. Are you thinking of someone else? Or Freo vs. GC in Round 2 (which I don't remember)?
(also, another reason is because they're *ing Gold Coast tbf)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back