2017 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Very happy with the draw, however the first 4 rounds are very tough. Freo will be back in contention this year. We could easily be 0-4 to start the season...
Then we find out very quickly that Hinkley hasn't learnt from his mistakes and/or is totally unable to get this side up and we can move him on early, rather than string it out. No excuses of WADA next year. With him giving faith to the players burning us, the list is 100% his now and lives and dies by it with no blaming others.

So from this years fixture

Still play Brisbane and adelaide twice

Out
Richmond, Melbourne GWS

In
West coast, Collingwood, Gold Coast

I know this is off topic but crows members in Adelaide will have a great time in terms of timeslots - 1xThurs night, 4xFriday Nights, 3xSaturday Nights
Annoying, but they did better than us last year and had bigger crowds. We got what we deserved unfortunately. Given the respective clubs demographics of Members though them with 2 Thursday nights and us an extra Friday or Saturday night in place of ours would have suited us better and had 0 effect on them. Pensioners a late night is the same any day of the week, we have a lot of families at games.

I see the Eagles, Pies and Suns as three of the big improvers in 2017.
Based on what? Collingwood's trading was WTF? Suns got a heap of picks, which will be good for 2018 / 2019 if they come on and West Coast got Vardy and a 67 year old Sam Mitchell. GC will get some improvement if they don't have a horror injury run again, but not 'challenge for the eight' level.

Double up games - Brisbane and Suns from bottom 6 - both should improve, Adelaide top 6 will be about the same, West Coast and Collingwood of the middle 6 I don't see much change.

Eagles w/o Nic Nat. Redden and Jetta were meant to be massive ins for WCE midfield last year, both don't make the team because they don't fit into their structure. Mitchell will make a difference but will not make up the loss of Nic Nat.

Pies traded away all their defenders, yes they are a reasonably young side that will have their good games but I don't think they are going to make the 8.

Suns are basically conceded to a full rebuild so not sure where their improvement comes from. They will be better than they were when they have about 15 injuries but I fully expect us to win both games.

Melbourne, Essendon, Saints are your big improvers for mine. Its lovely the Crows got 2 of them :D

Based on what? Collingwood's trading was WTF? Suns got a heap of picks, which will be good for 2018 / 2019 if they come on and West Coast got Vardy and a 67 year old Sam Mitchell. GC will get some improvement if they don't have a horror injury run again, but not 'challenge for the eight' level.
The Suns should improve because I doubt they will 21 on the injured list by Rd 6 or 8 like this season. They won their first 3 before they racked up double digit figure injuries. I reckon they will be the biggest improvers in terms of extra games won and rise up the ladder. That is ignoring Essendon of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a decent fixture.
But wow the Roos in Adelaide? What is this?!

I was hoping we got more night games but oh well

I think doubling up on Collingwood will be ok, Brisbane should be dead last, but the other 3 are super tough. I think the Suns will be in our pushing top 8 bracket, WC top 4 and Adel top 6.

Looking through that fixture, I think we'll be looking at an 11 wins season. Tough year. We're going to need to keep our s**t together through the tough start and then improve rather than fall away through May/June. Something we've only done in 14 since Hinkleys arrival.

1 - Sat Mar 25 Sydney @ SCG 4.35pm
2 - Sun April 2 Freo @ AO 4.10pm
3 - Sat April 8 Crows @ AO 7.10pm (Home)
4 - Sat April 15 GWS @ Startrack 4.35pm
5 - Fri April 21 Carltank @ AO 7.20pm
6 - Sat April 29 Brisbane @ Gabba 4.35pm
7 - Sat May 6 - West Coast @ AO 4.05pm
8 - Sun May 14 Gold Coast @ Shanghai 1.20pm (Away)
9 - BYE
10 - Thu May 25 Geelong @ Kardinia 7.20pm
11 - Thu June 1 Hawthorn @ AO 7.20pm
12 - Sat June 10 Essendon @ Etihard 7.25pm
13 - Sat June 17 Brisbane @ AO 4.05pm
14 - Sat June 24 - Collingwood @ MCG 1.45pm
15 - Sat July 1 - Richmond @ AO 7.10pm
16 - Sat July 9 West Coast @ Domain 2.40pm
17 - Sat July 15 North Melbourne @ AO 1.40pm
18 - Sat July 22 Melbourne @ MCG 2.10pm
19 - Sat July 29 - St Kilda @ AO 4.05pm
20 - Sun Aug 6 Crows @ AO 4.10pm (Away)
21 - Sun Aug 13 Collingwood @ AO 4.10pm
22 - Sat Aug 19 Western Bulldogs @ Eureka Stadium 1.45pm
23 - TBC Gold Coast (Home)

Times are local.
NAB games?

This is not the thread.

Having said that the Suns should get more out of Hanley and Lyons, with GAJ and Swallow to return, than they got out of Prestia and O'Meara last year.

Pies have one of the best midfields in the competition, have added silk in Wells. Darcy Moore to be far better than Cloke. Grundy trending nicely.

Eagles add the most skilled player in the competition to their already awesome midfield, but Nic Nat is a big loss.

I'm not a subscriber to the Saints being on the rise, but the Dees definitely are.

Anyone for Easter in Canberra in 2017? We play the GWS on Easter Saturday on 15th April. Might have to do Sydney for Easter and drive down for the game.

No Sunday early 12.40 home games. BIG ******* TICK FROM ME.

Sunday twilight home games - Rd 2 v Freo clocks change back end of daylight savings so should still be warm and Rd 21 in mid August v Collingwood weather is getting better so not to bad for family viewing.

Pretty happy with this fixture tbh. Purely from a spectating perspective. Only two Sunday twilight games. Everything else seems pretty reasonable.

As for strength of schedule, who would put any stock into that after the last couple of years. Whether we're improved or we keep taking backward steps will happen independtly of the draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back