Fixture 2017 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

If we get 70k versus Melbourne we've done well. They're not that high drawing a team.
We're the home team.
In 2006, Melbourne vs Collingwood drew 78K

In 2011, Melbourne vs Collingwood drew 75K

Yeah it was the QB game, but what better time to have a massive crowd in a once off event?

You're underestimating how many Essendon supporters will be there. Melbourne will probably bring their fair share as well

Hey everyone. New here, been an Essendon member for a while.

My observation from attending games over the years, before the move Essendon was getting near or exceeding the 50k mark for most of the teams they were playing against at the MCG. I believe that was the driving reason why we got such a great deal more than anything else.

Also seems that the move has dented Essendons possible growth. I've known many casual fans that with the combined ticket increase, parking expense, being further away from the eastern burbs and limited seating choices haven't taken the next step in getting a membership.
Think you'll find Etihad is easier to get to for most people because it is next to one of the major train stations. Not all lines go straight to Jollimont or East Richmond.

A Friday night opener against Melbourne at the 'G as an Essendon home game would pull a massive crowd. 60-70k wouldn't be out of the question. It's the perfect time to use the current circumstances of both clubs to get a bigger attendance that what would be considered normal for these two (40-50k).

Knowing our luck with this s**t though, we'll get Freo away just for something different.

Think you'll find Etihad is easier to get to for most people because it is next to one of the major train stations. Not all lines go straight to Jollimont or East Richmond.
10 of the 15 suburban lines do though.

Etihad's definitely easier for V/Line passengers though, Gippsland line excepted.

What date does it get released? I couldn't find it on the AFL website.

The last couple of years it has been on the Thursday, so I'm expecting it to be Thursday next week. Thus it gives the AFL a series of leaks over the next week to constantly stay in the media and a major talking point before next weekend.

If we get 70k versus Melbourne we've done well. They're not that high drawing a team.
I'm bringing a car load when I normally only bring 1 person.

So that's 3 extras already Doss!

So if GWS are the AFL's Frankenstein and win almost every game for the next few years – with the weighted fixture system they should be playing against three of the top 6 sides twice. Does that put those top 6 sides at a disadvantage? Perhaps we would've been better off with two Frankenstein teams, at least they would have kept each other in check...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if GWS are the AFL's Frankenstein and win almost every game for the next few years – with the weighted fixture system they should be playing against three of the top 6 sides twice. Does that put those top 6 sides at a disadvantage? Perhaps we would've been better off with two Frankenstein teams, at least they would have kept each other in check...
I think that was originally the plan wasn't it?

Round one will be massive no matter who we play. I live in rural Victoria (2.5 hours from Melbourne). Most Essendon supporters here go to 3 or 4 games a year. Every single one I have spoken to is definitely going round one. Essendon supporters will be coming from everywhere round 1. It will be massive!

Think you'll find Etihad is easier to get to for most people because it is next to one of the major train stations.

The very train station that all lines running through North Melbourne very conveniently don't stop at on Saturdays and Sundays.

0 of 15 lines have a direct service to Telstra Dome

The very train station that all lines running through North Melbourne very conveniently don't stop at on Saturdays and Sundays.

0 of 15 lines have a direct service to Telstra Dome
I think you might be referring to flagstaff? Southern cross is the station next to Etihad and also the next stop after North Melbourne (including on weekends)

Round one will be massive no matter who we play. I live in rural Victoria (2.5 hours from Melbourne). Most Essendon supporters here go to 3 or 4 games a year. Every single one I have spoken to is definitely going round one. Essendon supporters will be coming from everywhere round 1. It will be massive!

If there is a march from Fed square, as proposed, the logistics could get very interesting.
Last year there were about 15k people and it pretty much filled the square and surrounds, and then it took forever to get everyone over the walk bridge to the G.
I reckon there could be a lot more this year.
It would want to start early, and have plenty of crowd control. It could stop traffic in the city at the intersection of Flinders and Swanston. And everyone would want to have pre purchased their tickets, because the queues to get in will be ginormous.

I think you might be referring to flagstaff? Southern cross is the station next to Etihad and also the next stop after North Melbourne (including on weekends)
Flagstaff is also open at weekends these days anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back