Analysis 2017 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Might as well get in early. Post what you want in here, then we can dissect it when it is released in a couple months. I'd like:

- Home game against Essendon

- Home game against Carlton

- WCE at the G

- Bye after Darwin

- Last game a home game at the G (Haven't had a home game at the MCG in the last round since 2010...)

Things I don't want:

Home or away game at the G against Essendon in round one (or round 2 if it's Essendon's first game in Melbourne). With the return of the prodigals it will be an absolute don the sash circus.

No home game against Saints at Etihad - if we have to have a home game at the toilet, make it against a non-Etihad side. Brisbane is my choice

Fewer 6 day breaks. None would be ideal.

Otherwise, your proposals get my vote.

I'm not scared at all of Essendon early, especially on a Friday night. Despite the fact we've lost the last two games to them we still finished comfortably above them in 2015 and I'd expect us to improve again in 2017. Yes, they'll get better but I rate our side well above theirs.

Home or away game at the G against Essendon in round one (or round 2 if it's Essendon's first game in Melbourne). With the return of the prodigals it will be an absolute don the sash circus.

My thoughts exactly. The upside of dishing them out a loss is outweighed heavily by the FIGJAM cloud that will be hanging over the city if they're "up and about" early in the season. (Bitter? Me? No.)

Bye after Darwin pleeease.

2x games against Richmond.

I'd rather play WCE at Subi. We need to beat them there sooner rather than later and our game against them this year was an important one for our young side. Part of the reason we beat Hawthorn IMO.

Would like to play North at the G though. Two games against Richmond and Collingwood ideally. Would like to play Freo/Brisbane/GC in the NT.

North and the Saints at the G please.

Play Essendon twice.
So you'd like to play an interstate side at Etihad to get a bad return from our one home game there?

Would much rather get a tiny crowd, playing an interstate side like Brisbane, rather than give up a home game playing a side (particular St Kilda, who play Etihad much better than the G) on their own deck.
If we have to play a home game there i'd rather try and get the best return. In reality that would be us playing another MCG side, but that isn't going to happen. Also if we are serious about being competitive and/or making finals it really shouldn't phase us or them where they play

If we have to play a home game there i'd rather try and get the best return. In reality that would be us playing another MCG side, but that isn't going to happen. Also if we are serious about being competitive and/or making finals it really shouldn't phase us or them where they play
I see what you mean, but if we want to be making finals we need to be maximising our chances of winning each match, the home game against GWS where only 8k odd turned up was a horrible look, but the most important thing was that we WON the match.

Gave it a crack, see what ya think!

Round 1 - Melbourne vs. St. Kilda (Saturday 28th March @ MCG)
Round 2 - West Coast vs. Melbourne (Sunday 2nd April @ Domain Stadium)
Round 3 - Collingwood vs. Melbourne (Saturday 8th April @ MCG)
Round 4 - Melbourne vs. Essendon (Saturday 17th April @ MCG)
Round 5 - Melbourne vs. Richmond (ANZAC Day Eve - Monday Night April 24th @ MCG)
Round 6 - Brisbane vs. Melbourne (Sunday April 30th @ Gabba)
Round 7 - Melbourne vs. North Melbourne (Saturday 8th May @ MCG)
Round 8 - Carlton vs. Melbourne (Sunday 14th May @ MCG)
Round 9 - Hawthorn vs. Melbourne (Friday 19th May @ MCG)
Round 10 - Port Adelaide vs. Melbourne (Saturday 27th May @ Adelaide Oval)
Round 11 - Melbourne vs. Adelaide (Saturday 3rd June @ MCG)
Round 12 - Melbourne vs. Collingwood (Queen's Birthday - Monday Afternoon June 12th @ MCG)
Round 13 - BYE
Round 14 - Melbourne vs. West Coast (Sunday 25th June @ Traeger Park)
Round 15 - Western Bulldogs vs. Melbourne (Sunday 2nd July @ Etihad Stadium)
Round 16 - Melbourne vs. Sydney (Saturday 7th July @ MCG)
Round 17 - Geelong vs. Melbourne (Sunday 16th July @ Kardinia Park)
Round 18 - Melbourne vs. Hawthorn (Saturday 22nd July @ MCG)
Round 19 - Essendon vs. Melbourne (Sunday 30th July @ MCG)
Round 20 - Melbourne vs. GWS (Sunday 6th August @ TIO Stadium)
Round 21 - Melbourne vs. Fremantle (Saturday 12th August @ MCG)
Round 22 - Gold Coast vs. Melbourne (Sunday 20th August @ Metricon Stadium)
Round 23 - North Melbourne vs. Melbourne (Saturday 26th August @ Etihad Stadium)

Days: 1 Friday, 10 Saturdays, 9 Sundays, 2 Mondays (including 16 games in VIC which includes 2 games at Etihad and 1 at Kardinia Park).
PLAY TWICE: Essendon, Collingwood, Hawthorn, North Melbourne and West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've probably done a terrible job of it. Tried to implement the whole playing so many teams from the top, middle and bottom 6 depending on which 6 you finished in during the previous season. Fixturing is harder than it sounds haha.

What I want:
- Home game v Essendon
- Bye after Darwin

What we'll get
- Away v Essendon
- 6 day break after Darwin

Is the ANZAC Eve game v Richwhat a permanent fixture?
I love that game!
Pretty much, seems that the AFL loves it as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back