2017 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we genuine GF contenders next year? Probably not. It is a year to take some development steps.

A good draw, meaning playing weaker clubs more translates to a higher finish and possible finals experience.

A bad draw means more experience against better opposition which is fine by me.

Our draft pick should not come into it.

All good.

I know some are already talking finals and even top 4 but I am firmly in the bounce but primarily in a rebuild camp. I don't think we are competing for a premiership next year and don't really care if we make finals or not - if we just squeeze in to the top 8 that would be perfect but just outside the 8 is heading in the right direction also. Although we have plugged some holes, we still have some other holes and we can't expect our new B22, that will likely be very different from this year to gel instantly and start producing the kind of performances that stand up in finals yet. I don't think it is going to take 4 years either mind you. If we win 11 or more games I think that'd be a decent pass mark for 2017.

So I think our fixture is good for where we are at. I like that we are playing tougher teams than the other bottom 6 sides because it will give us a better indication of how far off we are and the coaches and players can adapt accordingly (including future trades/recruitment). If we had a weak draw and won a heap of games, we'd likely be over confident and get destroyed in the finals. And getting thumped in finals is not great, just ask West Coast, who don't seem to know if they are in a premiership window still or not.

But the main thing I like about this fixture is far less travel which is great for getting more games and leadership out of our veterans in their last few years so they can pass on their knowledge (on-field) to our up-and-coming youngsters. For instance I still think we are underestimating the impact of Johnson's leadership down back in particular. All our young half backs will learn plenty playing alongside him next year, so if we can squeeze a few more games through less travel that's a big win for us.

I know some are already talking finals and even top 4 but I am firmly in the bounce but primarily in a rebuild camp. I don't think we are competing for a premiership next year and don't really care if we make finals or not - if we just squeeze in to the top 8 that would be perfect but just outside the 8 is heading in the right direction also. Although we have plugged some holes, we still have some other holes and we can't expect our new B22, that will likely be very different from this year to gel instantly and start producing the kind of performances that stand up in finals yet. I don't think it is going to take 4 years either mind you. If we win 11 or more games I think that'd be a decent pass mark for 2017.

So I think our fixture is good for where we are at. I like that we are playing tougher teams than the other bottom 6 sides because it will give us a better indication of how far off we are and the coaches and players can adapt accordingly (including future trades/recruitment). If we had a weak draw and won a heap of games, we'd likely be over confident and get destroyed in the finals. And getting thumped in finals is not great, just ask West Coast, who don't seem to know if they are in a premiership window still or not.

But the main thing I like about this fixture is far less travel which is great for getting more games and leadership out of our veterans in their last few years so they can pass on their knowledge (on-field) to our up-and-coming youngsters. For instance I still think we are underestimating the impact of Johnson's leadership down back in particular. All our young half backs will learn plenty playing alongside him next year, so if we can squeeze a few more games through less travel that's a big win for us.
Yes that is where I am at as well. Excited to see what the new toys and the new season brings.

Despite the long trip for the club, Blundstone Arena, Hobart versus North Melbourne, would have saved me driving to Launny again. But it's good the club have been given a year off from such travel.

Tasmania is nothing like Antarctica, Grape Bear.

On that poorly scheduled match against Hawthorn in July 2015, Fremantle played in 12 degree weather.
Did any of our players complain? No.
Did it rain, snow, or hail fall anywhere? No.
Did frost or ice develop anywhere? No.
You could learn something from that Grape Bear and cut the judgment.
i remember that day, it was actually warmer in launcenston then it was in melbourne, we had a very wet day that day and it didnt rain alot in that game in tassie.

We are looking good for round 1. I told myself - no posting till 2017. But again I can't wait. The draft - do we get SPS?
The injuries - well there are none...bring back footy.

I am thinking of booking a private jet to Crown, Melbourne ... hmm ok back to the cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back