2017 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

https://hurlingpeoplenow.wordpress.com/2016/10/27/strength-of-schedule-of-the-2017-afl-fixture/

'The biggest anomaly is Fremantle being handicapped harder than Port and North Melbourne, having been given almost a worst-case fixture within the bounds of the AFL’s policy. The Dockers drew the two strongest middle bracket teams (North and the Eagles), while many bottom sides get only one. They also get Richmond, the strongest bottom bracket side, and Geelong, one of the stronger top sides. This is nearly a worst case fixture – only replacing Essendon with a stronger bottom-6 side could make it tougher for them.'

In reality Essendon are the strongest bottom 6 side that we could have played while North are the weakest middle 6 side. Geelong also a relatively weak top 6 side.

https://hurlingpeoplenow.wordpress.com/2016/10/27/strength-of-schedule-of-the-2017-afl-fixture/

'The biggest anomaly is Fremantle being handicapped harder than Port and North Melbourne, having been given almost a worst-case fixture within the bounds of the AFL’s policy. The Dockers drew the two strongest middle bracket teams (North and the Eagles), while many bottom sides get only one. They also get Richmond, the strongest bottom bracket side, and Geelong, one of the stronger top sides. This is nearly a worst case fixture – only replacing Essendon with a stronger bottom-6 side could make it tougher for them.'
Calling North Melbourne a strong side is a bit of a stretch. They're odds on for bottom four in 2017.

Calling North Melbourne a strong side is a bit of a stretch. They're odds on for bottom four in 2017.

North and west coast will both slide

Richmond are ridiculously hit and miss as well

Just bring on 2017 already

The draw is good for our boys. Its under the radar. No blockbusters...who cares. My prediction is 14 odd wins to sneak back into the 8 in 2017.

North and west coast will both slide

Richmond are ridiculously hit and miss as well

Just bring on 2017 already
With the list turnover we would be in the slide category as well, if there was somewhere to slide to. I guess it is mitigated by our trades but we lack the stability of a well drilled best 22. Likewise we could expect champions like Fyfe, Sandilands, MJ and Bennell will lift us, but their status is unknown.

7 crappy Sunday afternoon games. Home attendance figures will be crap. That we double up on more Top 8 teams than the Eagles is also crap.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Positives:

- No travel to NT or TAS

Negatives:

- 2 games on FTA in Victoria....pretty painful meaning we'll be subjected to campaigners like Dermie and that smiling prick I would love to punch (Brad Johnson). Also means I'm on track for FIFTEEN trips to the Pub/Sports Bar because I don't have Foxtel

- 4 games in Melbourne and then one the VICTORIAN membership doesn't cover (Geelong)

AFL all about the fans....get ****ed on that one.

Foxtel would be half that cost;)

Can't get Foxtel at my house....no word of a lie there as I've tried already. Either way 15 chances to want to punch Brad Johnson or Dermie....watch out for incorrect name calling and bias

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh. Both teams played in the Grand Final.

It's much, much better than the last few years where every second week, you'd be watching Richmond, Carlton, or Collingwood dish up boring shite in front of 35,000 at the G or away to the Crows.

In my opinion they Friday night match should be two teams who were within six spaces of each other the year before. Hawthorn v GWS is going to be as potentially close as the Crows and Cats, same as Collingwood and Port, or Melbourne and St Kilda.

I agree that it is better than having copious amounts of Collingwood, Richmond etc... games shoved down our throats, but to hand two teams a monopoly on marquee fixtures is beyond a joke. All teams should receive one Friday Night game in a year, that is just being fair.

All teams deserve national exposure. It's about making sure all footy fans can enjoy watching a variety of players. Yes, this will result in some boring games but odds are we will get surprisingly close games as well. Really, is this any different to what is occurring now? All I'm saying is share the Friday Night games because if the Bulldogs have a shocking hangover then we are in for a lot of dogshit Friday footy.

North will be absolutely pitiful next year. They severely lack any outside run and they will get dominated by teams who can match it with them on the inside. Furthermore, if they come up against a team with fast running backs then they are going to get scored against heavily over the back.

Richmond will be interesting. They have some decent mid depth now, but Dimma isn't a tactician. He's going to need a bit of help to get something to work in his now deficient forward line.

$60 a month for foxtel is cheap.
One of the funniest things I've seen on this site a few years back was some bloke from NSW having a big melt about the pre-season comp not being shown on FA TV and how he couldn't afford Foxtel for footy. Then later on in the thread revealed that he was paying off a 800k mortgage and 2 cars loans. Geez, do you think you might have over extended yourself?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...k=9f4d8840627514f1041f27a250319421-1477549143

Day game but this is what led to the decision to stay away from nights to decrease booze consumption.
Seems to make sense to bring it back now that the Freo snipers from that era have retired, and stopped antagonizing the crowd. Now they just have to worry about the Freo fans instead.

That 07 derby was terrific, I think that's the best derby I've been to. Freo seem to have won most of the highest quality matches- I'd have that game, the late 2003 derby when Daniel Kerr and Paul Medhurst(?) kicked back to back GOTY contenders and the Demolition Derby as the best three.

The demo derby is overrated for mine, sure the fight was epic and it came down to wire but as an actual game of footy it's of a very poor standard.
Do you think so? You've probably watched it more than I have.

I feel the same way about the Ballantyne derby. Awesome game to win, after the siren finish, but that game was a pretty poor one overall until the last minute or so.

Well obviously the best derbies are the ones Freo win Quinz. We could have told you that.
It's been so long since you've won one I can't really confirm that. It was all the way back before Fyfe became a walking game of Operation wasn't it?

I really hope the first Derby at Burswood is a split crowd. Not only would it be a fair way to open it, the atmosphere would be awesome.

I agree that it is better than having copious amounts of Collingwood, Richmond etc... games shoved down our throats, but to hand two teams a monopoly on marquee fixtures is beyond a joke. All teams should receive one Friday Night game in a year, that is just being fair.

All teams deserve national exposure. It's about making sure all footy fans can enjoy watching a variety of players. Yes, this will result in some boring games but odds are we will get surprisingly close games as well. Really, is this any different to what is occurring now? All I'm saying is share the Friday Night games because if the Bulldogs have a shocking hangover then we are in for a lot of dogshit Friday footy.

North will be absolutely pitiful next year. They severely lack any outside run and they will get dominated by teams who can match it with them on the inside. Furthermore, if they come up against a team with fast running backs then they are going to get scored against heavily over the back.

Richmond will be interesting. They have some decent mid depth now, but Dimma isn't a tactician. He's going to need a bit of help to get something to work in his now deficient forward line.
Considering there are eight Thursday night games or something this year, it is piss easy to get every team at least three Channel 7 night time matches a year.

Always love the chip on the shoulder from the Freo faithful.
I have tried hard to pick holes in this fixture and.....

Probably the fairest fixture I can remember...in fact I will go out on a limb and say this is the BEST ever.

- Travel 5/5 -1 * Brisbane followed by bye; 2 * Adelaide is good and 1 * Sydney. No complaints!
- Games - fair for where we finished. The comp is very even and teams like Essendon, Carlton, Pies, Port, Melbourne could be anyone's guess.

We have moved from $51 to around $24 in the odds, and I think we are a lock for the 8, so if you have a house - chuck it on the Dockers, they are a lock for the 8. small print:anything I say is usually wrong so ignore any gambling advice from the worst Freo punter in history.

Back to common sense : IT IS A GOOD DRAW! Please stop the whinging and ridiculous analytic unfair thing. No 8 has ever been the same in history and it won't be again this year. GWS, Sydney and Dogs will be top 8. That is all I know, everything else is history in the future. So we play these 3 teams once, and will most likely lose them (especially because 2 are away games - and I think we can beat the Dogs...again).

If you are still with me, hear this, with a full strength team we WILL win most of our home games against medium teams. In the past we had many tough home games which we lost, and many medium games away which we lost. The equation is easier when you lose away hard games and win easier home games. The comp has evened up - sure...

This fixture is actually pro purple.

Last edited:
Great draw.

Games at the G for once, no friccin Tassie game & let's not pretend getting N Melb twice is some great penalty.

Who would you rather play twice Port or Roos?

Also rather Geelong twice than GWS, Sydney or Bullies.....hello Eagles (they've got a significantly tougher draw with St Kilda & Port coming on too).

We don't deserve Fri night football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back