• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Meow

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2008
Moggs Creek
AFL Club
Geelong
Will be released around the end of October (4 weeks from now) if previous years are any indication. Finished top 4 this season and Simonds will be unavailable until Round 8 or 9, so our fixture will undoubtedly prove more difficult than this year. We must play at least two top 6 sides twice and a maximum of one bottom 6 side twice under the AFL's current criteria.

What do we think is on the cards? I'll start:

-Hawthorn, Bulldogs, Sydney, West Coast and Melbourne twice
-Pre-finals bye is scrapped. Not only do I expect some backlash over the Prelim results, but the AFLPA have made lots of noise in recent years over the lack of a second H&A bye.
-NAB Cup either shortened to two matches per side or discarded in its entirety
-Season opener outside of Victoria (hasn't happened since 2012). Interstate trips vs. Adelaide, Freo, GC, Sydney, West Coast and North (Hobart).
-Sydney, GWS, West Coast, Port, Brisbane, St Kilda, Melbourne and Richmond at Simonds Stadium
-Should the AFL purchase Etihad, hopefully no "home" games there

Last edited:
Under the weighting thingo, isn't it most likely we play three Top 6 teams twice, one Middle 6 team twice and one Bottom 6 team twice?

Lock in Hawthorn twice (Easter Monday is set to fall in Round 4 btw), and probably the Swans too.

My god. Who gives a s**t.

-Season opener outside of Victoria (hasn't happened since 2012). Interstate trips vs. Adelaide, Freo, GC, Sydney, West Coast and North (Hobart).
-Sydney, GWS, West Coast, Port, Brisbane, St Kilda, Melbourne and Richmond at Simonds Stadium
Very much doubt we'll play in Hobart, the potential crowd size at Etihad is too big.

Also don't think we'll get Richmond at KP.

Very much doubt we'll play in Hobart, the potential crowd size at Etihad is too big.

Also don't think we'll get Richmond at KP.

The home games vs. Bulldogs will go to Etihad from now on IMO, leaving someone like Richmond or Carlton to take their spot on the Simonds circuit. Their membership numbers will swell next season and a game with both clubs in the top 4 could result in a near-sellout at Etihad. Richmond, on the other hand, are likely to be garbage.

AFL will give North a "blockbuster" Tassie game to keep the locals interested. It's been Richmond in the past several years and figured it might be our turn. The fixture might only draw 20-30k at Etihad anyway if North aren't faring well.

We didn't really take maximum advantage of our soft draw this year so it doesn't really matter imo how it works. With our stadium finished though I want us to play 9 home games there.

The home games vs. Bulldogs will go to Etihad from now on IMO, leaving someone like Richmond or Carlton to take their spot on the Simonds circuit. Their membership numbers will swell next season and a game with both clubs in the top 4 could result in a near-sellout at Etihad. Richmond, on the other hand, are likely to be garbage.
Agree that any home game vs the Bulldogs will probably be at Etihad, but I think Carlton or Essendon are more likely to replace them on the Simonds circuit than Richmond.

AFL will give North a "blockbuster" Tassie game to keep the locals interested. It's been Richmond in the past several years and figured it might be our turn. The fixture might only draw 20-30k at Etihad anyway if North aren't faring well.
Maybe, wouldn't lock it in though.

Hawks
Pies
Dogs
Sydney
GWS

Big crowds or tough sides.

Can only play a maximum of three top 6 sides twice FYI. Generally agree with the sentiment of your post though. Must take full advantage of games against mid-lower table sides - we're likely to receive 3-4 less under the AFL's weighting rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that any home game vs the Bulldogs will probably be at Etihad, but I think Carlton or Essendon are more likely to replace them on the Simonds circuit than Richmond.

Carlton and Essendon haven't been to the Cattery since the likes of Brownless, Hocking, Gary Snr, Couch etc. were still running around and half the outer was a gravel hill. Richmond still travel to KP semi-regularly, so they're the more likely opponent IMO.

Carlton and Essendon haven't been to the Cattery since the likes of Brownless, Hocking, Gary Snr, Couch etc. were still running around and half the outer was a gravel hill. Richmond still travel to KP semi-regularly, so they're the more likely opponent IMO.
Last two games against Richmond have both had attendances of 45,000+ at the MCG, which obviously we cannot fit at Simonds.

Our last two games against Carlton have had attendances of 32,000 and 33,500 - both under the new Simonds capacity. Less than 30,000 turned up to the Geelong-Essendon game at Docklands this year.

Can only play a maximum of three top 6 sides twice FYI. Generally agree with the sentiment of your post though. Must take full advantage of games against mid-lower table sides - we're likely to receive 3-4 less under the AFL's weighting rule.
Hmmm whoops. Ok then, swap Hawks for the Saints then. We have to be able these young, fast, aggressive teams as they are the future it seems.

Last two games against Richmond have both had attendances of 45,000+ at the MCG, which obviously we cannot fit at Simonds.

Our last two games against Carlton have had attendances of 32,000 and 33,500 - both under the new Simonds capacity. Less than 30,000 turned up to the Geelong-Essendon game at Docklands this year.

That richmond game was their home game if I remember correctly. I don't care if richmond supporters, hawthorn supporters, collingwood supporters etc. are locked out of simmonds, its our home game and as long as the ground is full of season pass holders, then I'm happy. I'm sick of playing home games at Etihad, and would prefer to see 11 games at KP then 8 at KP, 2 at etihad and 1 at the 'G

That richmond game was their home game if I remember correctly. I don't care if richmond supporters, hawthorn supporters, collingwood supporters etc. are locked out of simmonds, its our home game and as long as the ground is full of season pass holders, then I'm happy. I'm sick of playing home games at Etihad, and would prefer to see 11 games at KP then 8 at KP, 2 at etihad and 1 at the 'G
I'd love that too, but the AFL's not going to do it.

Back