Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should be chasing Matt Kennedy. Country lad who doesn't have half the hype of Hopper.

Any others? It's an old list, but there's some desirable players there...

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/af...ount-of-giants-come-out-of-contract-next-year

Giants out of contract at the end of 2017
Dylan Shiel, 23
Jonathon Patton, 23
Devon Smith, 23
Josh Kelly, 21
Jacob Hopper, 19
Zac Williams, 22
Adam Tomlinson, 23
Matt Kennedy, 19
Harrison Himmelberg, 20
Matt Buntine, 23
Adam Kennedy, 24
Jeremy Finlayson, 20
Steve Johnson, 33
Dawson Simpson, 27

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/af...ount-of-giants-come-out-of-contract-next-year

Dylan Shiel, 23
Jonathon Patton, 23
Devon Smith, 23
Josh Kelly, 21
Jacob Hopper, 19
Zac Williams, 22
Adam Tomlinson, 23
Matt Kennedy, 19
Harrison Himmelberg, 20
Matt Buntine, 23
Adam Kennedy, 24
Jeremy Finlayson, 20
Steve Johnson, 33
Dawson Simpson, 27
Gee, looking at that list, Carlton will be a powerhouse next year!

Dylan Shiel, 23
Jonathon Patton, 23
Devon Smith, 23
Josh Kelly, 21
Jacob Hopper, 19
Zac Williams, 22
Adam Tomlinson, 23
Matt Kennedy, 19
Harrison Himmelberg, 20
Matt Buntine, 23
Adam Kennedy, 24
Jeremy Finlayson, 20
Steve Johnson, 33
Dawson Simpson, 27
Himmelberg's a possibility if we lose Lever

Has there been any real belief from anyone that we will get a needed midfielder this off season?

Anyone hinted that we still want Gibbs?

I have a feeling it's going to be a disappointing off season
It's only disappointing if you go into it with unrealistic expectations.

The problem isn't the club - it's people who think that PlayStation trades happen in the real world, and get upset when they don't.

How Keath goes tomorrow night could have big ramifications for list management. If he has a big debut then Justin Reid will have a fair bit to think about. The downgrade in input on Lever vs Keath weighed against the difference in salary cap room would make for some interesting data.

How Keath goes tomorrow night could have big ramifications for list management. If he has a big debut then Justin Reid will have a fair bit to think about. The downgrade in input on Lever vs Keath weighed against the difference in salary cap room would make for some interesting data.
And..... no.

If anything, it may come down to a choice between Keath and Otten, or (less likely) Keath and Hartigan. Lever is arguably the best young key defender in the competition. They will not be putting him on the trade table unless he wants to leave.

And..... no.

If anything, it may come down to a choice between Keath and Otten, or (less likely) Keath and Hartigan. Lever is arguably the best young key defender in the competition. They will not be putting him on the trade table unless he wants to leave.

Im not talking about deliberately trading him. Im talking about how much of our cap we're willing put on the table to match offers coming from the East which could restrict us from filling our midfielder deficiency. If we know we have a semi decent player to replace the role, then we may stay firm with our offer. If Keath fails to perform at the level then the cupboard is a bit bare behind Lever and we may have to throw the farm to ensure we keep him.

Im not talking about deliberately trading him. Im talking about how much of our cap we're willing put on the table to match offers coming from the East which could restrict us from filling our midfielder deficiency. If we know we have a semi decent player to replace the role, then we may stay firm with our offer. If Keath fails to perform at the level then the cupboard is a bit bare behind Lever and we may have to throw the farm to ensure we keep him.
We know how good Lever is. Keath's performance isn't going to make one iota of difference to Lever's contract offer.

I think we need to be into Hopper big time. He was likened to Dangerfield through his TAC cup days. His stats still compare at same age. Give Hopper a full time midfield role and he'll explode I think. We should have him ahead of Rockliff and Gibbs. Our 1st and cap space should get it done.
I saw plenty of Jacob playing here for the Ballarat Rebels and St. Pats, he's similar only in the regard he's a real inside beast and clearance king and whilst he's not slow he's certainly no Dangerfield speed wise and most certainly doesn't have the breakaway stoppage pace. Can take a decent overhead mark and hit the scoreboard up forward which is also a handy tool to have in his kit bag.

Whoever coined the likeness to Dangerfield was being a bit over the top IMO. That said I too would take him ahead of Gibbs and Rockliff even if only for the age factor.

And..... no.

Lever may be the best young DEFENDER in the Comp but he is certainly still unproven as a KEY DEFENDER,in that regard I'd say Caleb Marchbank is the best young proven KEY DEFENDER.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw plenty of Jacob playing here for the Ballarat Rebels and St. Pats, he's similar only in the regard he's a real inside beast and clearance king and whilst he's not slow he's certainly no Dangerfield speed wise and most certainly doesn't have the breakaway stoppage pace. Can take a decent overhead mark and hit the scoreboard up forward which is also a handy tool to have in his kit bag.

Whoever coined the likeness to Dangerfield was being a bit over the top IMO. That said I too would take him ahead of Gibbs and Rockliff even if only for the age factor.

I think it was champion data that drew the comparison to Dangerfield. I hope we are serious on Hopper. If Lever leaves we should be into Hopper and Rockliff/Gibbs.

Lever may be the best young DEFENDER in the Comp but he is certainly still unproven as a KEY DEFENDER,in that regard I'd say Caleb Marchbank is the best young proven KEY DEFENDER.
Either way, Lever is one of the top few. There is no way that Adelaide would voluntarily trade him. They won't be looking at his salary, saying "that's too high, we'll trade him instead". Lever may ask for a trade, in which case a trade will be done - but Adelaide will not part with him of their own volition.

Yep. I dont think lever will ever be a key defender. Hes so damaging as the third tall, and to put him in a lock down roll (or even try him out in one) would just be a waste.

Keath and Lever two very different players. Hartigan's basically a joke and we have no other KPD back up. Not sure Lever's great value is as KPD anyway. We need both (assuming Keath cuts the mustard).

And people calling for Godfather offers for Hopper are hilarious. He's played 16 games, is an in and under inside mid, not great speed, not great disposal. Might be a very good player but why not go to the draft, because you'll get a might be there too. Maybe a better than.

And people calling for Godfather offers for Hopper are hilarious. He's played 16 games, is an in and under inside mid, not great speed, not great disposal. Might be a very good player but why not go to the draft, because you'll get a might be there too. Maybe a better than.

No point solving our midfield issues through the draft now. Window is open now. Hopper would be a good fit for us. His contested ball is good, disposal isn't bad at all. He would be a risky pick up as he ain't proven yet. I think he'll be a risk that will pay off. Not sure about a godfather offer but we will have to pay up to get him across.

On SM-N910G using BigFooty.com mobile app

No point solving our midfield issues through the draft now. Window is open now. Hopper would be a good fit for us. His contested ball is good, disposal isn't bad at all. He would be a risky pick up as he ain't proven yet. I think he'll be a risk that will pay off. Not sure about a godfather offer but we will have to pay up to get him across.

On SM-N910G using BigFooty.com mobile app
How different is a risk on a 20 year old than a risk on an 18 year old? Especially when you consider big salary cap space and draft picks. You won't get Hopper for our first pick.

How different is a risk on a 20 year old than a risk on an 18 year old? Especially when you consider big salary cap space and draft picks. You won't get Hopper for our first pick.

Agreed, Hoppers only slightly more advanced than a draftee, it's a big outlay for a player who hasn't proven a lot. We need players who can walk into our system and play to a high level immediately and ideally add some more experienced support to a midfield that has Sloane as our only A-Grader in his prime. We need to stop thinking about 5-10 years time and actually think about now for once.

I don't have any major issues with getting Hopper, he sounds like a quality player down the track, but not sure he's the best fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back