Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ozzie if we picked up Rocky as a FA (which he is) during the offseason of '17, would you be happy? We improve immediately, plus can keep our picks.

No, because I don't think he is worth the money he would want. Also, I think Greenwood and Polholke can be that sort of player on the field.

Nice insults. I'm ok not winning a flag but I'm not ok with sitting back and doing nothing to try and improve the squad. Draft picks are overrated.

Agree to disagree.

[you have weird benchmarks too. On one hand you're absolutely satisfied to go 70 years without a flag, but on the flipside you belittle making two GFs in three years while thinking it a failure that Danger didnt deliver a Premiership for the Cats in year one]

Benchmarks? I was merely pointing in a robust way, sorry I do tend to fly off the handle at times. 18 years to me is nothing. With the sanctions and pure thievery by the expansion teams we have had to endure it is surprising we have come close to a GF in 2012 and this year. Buddy AND Yippett were meant to get Sydney across the line to a flag. They failed! That is a fact. PD and his 3 amigos were meant to get Geelong across the line to a flag. that is another fact. They failed.

My point is spending huge amounts on one players or even two is stupid. For every million dollar player, I would prefer 2x500k players.

I have no doubt we will be serious contenders for the flags for at least the next 3 years. I see Norf are loading up to get Heeney from the Swans for a million plus next year. I wonder how many draft picks that will cost them. If they are successful recruiting him, what happens when he does his knee?

Missed seeing Heeney is staying with the swans. Get used to this type of news. Fyfe will stay with Freo and Martin with Richmond. IMO when it is all said and done Rockliff will stay with the Lions as well. It is very hard to lure players away unless they want to go home. Eg. Betts, PD as prime examples. Gibbs chose to stay when he had the chance. The only ones doing it are those from the expansions teams looking to go back to Vic.

Benchmarks? I was merely pointing in a robust way, sorry I do tend to fly off the handle at times. 18 years to me is nothing. With the sanctions and pure thievery by the expansion teams we have had to endure it is surprising we have come close to a GF in 2012 and this year. Buddy AND Yippett were meant to get Sydney across the line to a flag. They failed! That is a fact. PD and his 3 amigos were meant to get Geelong across the line to a flag. that is another fact. They failed.

My point is spending huge amounts on one players or even two is stupid. For every million dollar player, I would prefer 2x500k players.

I have no doubt we will be serious contenders for the flags for at least the next 3 years. I see Norf are loading up to get Heeney from the Swans for a million plus next year. I wonder how many draft picks that will cost them. If they are successful recruiting him, what happens when he does his knee?
You are one strange cat.

Tippett and Buddy haven't retired yet so you can't say it's a fail.

Danger has played one year and got them a lot closer to a flag than they would have and that's a fail? You don't judge a recruit on whether they've won you a flag in their first year, that's wacko thinking.

Bulldogs did pretty well with their million dollar man Boyd.

No, because I don't think he is worth the money he would want. Also, I think Greenwood and Polholke can be that sort of player on the field.

I mean I think Greenwood could be a good player, and Poholke looks a good prospect, but they've played a total of 0 AFL games between them. Rockliff is no Ablett, but he's pretty underrated around these parts.

I mean I think Greenwood could be a good player, and Poholke looks a good prospect, but they've played a total of 0 AFL games between them. Rockliff is no Ablett, but he's pretty underrated around these parts.

You are correct but I meant in the near future. Let's say both Hugh and Myles make their debut this coming year and do a Gov ie hold their spots. Why would you need Rockliff for? They are the same type of player.

Have any grand finalists of recent years NOT been significant traders?

You're comparing two players who have done exactly zero with Rockliff?

Odds are Greenwood and Polholke will never achieve anything. Rockliff has been an All Australian.

You're comparing two players who have done exactly zero with Rockliff?

Odds are Greenwood and Polholke will never achieve anything. Rockliff has been an All Australian.

Okay, I will try and explain it simply. Yes, Rockliff is an AA player. The other 2 have yet to make their debuts I understand that. The point I'm trying to make is with their build they will be the same type of player as Rockliff. I'm not saying they will ever be as good but for team balance you need only a certain amount of players with their builds.

Greenwood will become a good player, he has shown me enough last year and given his BB career he is a top athlete. Polholke has shown more than Rockliff did as a junior, if he develops as predicted he will be a good player as well.

My problem with Rockliff is the money he will demand next year and I believe the rumour he has 2 drug strikes against his name. If that is true why would you go near him?

We can but IMO I don't think he is the type of player or person I want at the club. Simple as that. I'm sure there will be other FAs to consider.
Who, though? Fyfe, if he goes, will go to Vic. Martin will probably stay, as will Kennedy. Then there's those that are a level or two below like Zaharakis, Picken etc. who will probably stay as well.

I think Rockliff is the biggest chance to leave and come to us. He's no certainty at all, though, in fact it likely doesn't happen. But there's a bigger chance than the rest. Put it this way - if you had a choice between CEY and Rockliff, who would you take? As Rocky would likely push CEY out. You must grab any free opportunity to improve our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, I will try and explain it simply. Yes, Rockliff is an AA player. The other 2 have yet to make their debuts I understand that. The point I'm trying to make is with their build they will be the same type of player as Rockliff. I'm not saying they will ever be as good but for team balance you need only a certain amount of players with their builds.

Greenwood will become a good player, he has shown me enough last year and given his BB career he is a top athlete. Polholke has shown more than Rockliff did as a junior, if he develops as predicted he will be a good player as well.

My problem with Rockliff is the money he will demand next year and I believe the rumour he has 2 drug strikes against his name. If that is true why would you go near him?
Lets be honest, if we were remotely interested in Rockcliff, we would have done the deal this last trade period .......so we can count this guy out of the picture

Your comparison is valid, when you remember Rockcliff was only taken by Brisbane as a Rookie player ......the only valid point is that Rockcliff has immediate team production and Greenwood/Poholke are currently just ????????

Who, though? Fyfe, if he goes, will go to Vic. Martin will probably stay, as will Kennedy. Then there's those that are a level or two below like Zaharakis, Picken etc. who will probably stay as well.

I think Rockliff is the biggest chance to leave and come to us. He's no certainty at all, though, in fact it likely doesn't happen. But there's a bigger chance than the rest. Put it this way - if you had a choice between CEY and Rockliff, who would you take? As Rocky would likely push CEY out. You must grab any free opportunity to improve our list.
Thisiswhat's wrong EVERY year....people talk about the warchest and next years free agents, but every year that list dries up very quickly and then we again talk about "next year" yet again

You can't as a club do any planning around getting a Free Agent ......it's purely hit and miss /cream on the cake

Lets be honest, if we were remotely interested in Rockcliff, we would have done the deal this last trade period .......so we can count this guy out of the picture

Your comparison is valid, when you remember Rockcliff was only taken by Brisbane as a Rookie player ......the only valid point is that Rockcliff has immediate team production and Greenwood/Poholke are currently just ????????
Not sure about this. Maybe the club preferred to pay nothing and wait a year rather than give up a first?

Not sure about this. Maybe the club preferred to pay nothing and wait a year rather than give up a first?
That's just optimism talking .....they wouldn't have traded for Gibbs this year, with a view of getting Rockcliff next year .....one too many old players & they had a choice

That's just optimism talking .....they wouldn't have traded for Gibbs this year, with a view of getting Rockcliff next year .....one too many old players & they had a choice
Doesn't mean we don't go after Rockliff and Rockliff only next FA period.

Look, it's the situation that makes the most sense if we want to immediately boost our midfield without giving up picks. Whether the club completes this scenario is a different matter.

Thisiswhat's wrong EVERY year....people talk about the warchest and next years free agents, but every year that list dries up very quickly and then we again talk about "next year" yet again

You can't as a club do any planning around getting a Free Agent ......it's purely hit and miss /cream on the cake
Agree on the first paragraph, disagree on the second. You reckon Crows, Cats, Swans would have done no planning around Betts, Voldemort, Buddy?

Not sure you mean what I think you mean. Are you really saying we as a club shouldn't bother planning to get a FA? Or are you saying you cant bank a FA? Need clarification before I load the bullets ;)

If we can get Rocky on reasonable money, would have to consider him... & ensure we don't need to pay him if suspended on 3 stikes. It's not like he would require picks.

Doesn't mean we don't go after Rockliff and Rockliff only next FA period.

Look, it's the situation that makes the most sense if we want to immediately boost our midfield without giving up picks. Whether the club completes this scenario is a different matter.
Think you may end up being disappointed

Agree on the first paragraph, disagree on the second. You reckon Crows, Cats, Swans would have done no planning around Betts, Voldemort, Buddy?
They would have planned to have a go ..... But that's entirely different to planning your list management around getting them .....as I said "cream on the cake

However your thoughts re Rockliff next season depends on who we drafted .....given we brought in 4 midfielders, the landscape may have changed where Gibbs as an example is no longer a need ..... Club won't know that till we see mid season how Menzel, Knight, Greenwood, Milera, Gallucci, Poholke develop??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back