Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Population suggests otherwise

Why would they take it to tassie when the pot of gold exists north of the Murray

Should have gone to Townsville or Cairns, if they wanted a second Queensland team.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
As a draftee, Davis has a two year contract, so can't be 'demoted', even if that were possible.

Be interesting what we'd get for Dear. That 2 marking forwards have gone down and our only back up marking forward isn't being considered, is a pretty fair sign of his progress. But other clubs are generally obsessed with anyone over 195cm, so there's a chance we'd maybe get a 3rd round pick.

We can delist a contracted player, and we can rookie that contracted player if he gets through to us in the rookie draft.

Captain Furious

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We can delist a contracted player, and we can rookie that contracted player if he gets through to us in the rookie draft.
Got to wonder why we have contracts at all.

Be pretty harsh to delist a kid after a year when he didn't get a chance to even play an SANFL game.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
As a draftee, Davis has a two year contract, so can't be 'demoted', even if that were possible.

Be interesting what we'd get for Dear. That 2 marking forwards have gone down and our only back up marking forward isn't being considered, is a pretty fair sign of his progress. But other clubs are generally obsessed with anyone over 195cm, so there's a chance we'd maybe get a 3rd round pick.
Players can be delisted after just one year. It has happened before, and it will happen again. That said, Ben Davis won't be "demoted".

I think we'd be lucky to get much, if anything, for Dear. He just doesn't have the runs on the board, having never even come close to making his AFL debut. I think Dear will either be delisted or offered another contract (possibly only 12-months). I just don't see other clubs being interested if he can't even get close to AFL selection.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Got to wonder why we have contracts at all.

Be pretty harsh to delist a kid after a year when he didn't get a chance to even play an SANFL game.
Don't worry.. it's not going to happen. Davis will be on our senior list in 2018.

Players who get delisted mid-contract have the remainder of their contract paid out, and the clubs have to include those future payments in the current year's salary cap. It's not a trivial exercise, and the players don't lose out as a result of it.

If we delisted him, and then drafted him (again) in the RD, then he would still be paid the same as he would if he remained on our senior list.

Paladin

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Players can be delisted after just one year. It has happened before, and it will happen again. That said, Ben Davis won't be "demoted".

I think we'd be lucky to get much, if anything, for Dear. He just doesn't have the runs on the board, having never even come close to making his AFL debut. I think Dear will either be delisted or offered another contract (possibly only 12-months). I just don't see other clubs being interested if he can't even get close to AFL selection.
Your memory is shocking isnt it!

You obvously dont remember the big finish to last year Dear had and the concern another club would poach him. We gave him a nice 2 year deal for a reason. One SANFL game is quite early to write off his year.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Honestly, not if their pick is top 10. And McGovern is a great prospect and a player we don't want to lose.

But I think a top 10 pick is overs for him.

Anyway, I think he'll sign on, and be a great player for us. Gun.

I believe a number of players aren't signing as the AFLPA have asked the players to hold off on contract negotiations so to force a resolution on the CBA. Eventually the clubs will force a resolution as they will desperate to contract their players and the AFL will be forced to deal. After all it is the clubs the control the AFL with their votes.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Its not our job to make them stronger though. Its up to them to lift their standard and fix whatever is fundamentally wrong with what they are doing. If the problem is that good players are always leaving and they lose out on these trade deals, then the AFL could do something on that end to give them more chances of getting a favorable trade.

For example, if the club cant agree a trade for a player like O'Meara then give the Suns the option of sending him to the draft. If he gets picked up with pick 5, then give GC the very next pick, pick 6. This would give exact market value of the player as compensation. It might make the draft complicated, but it keeps the competition fair. I am sure there are better ideas out there, but we are an intelligent country, we can figure out a fair way to keep things even, but still holding clubs responsible for managing their own success rather than giving it to them on a plate.

I don't think it's got that much to do with having 23 1st round picks in the team. Most of the traditional Aussie rules state teams don't. We don't have high draft picks. It's about coaching, culture, playing as a team, balance of the team, etc.
Gold Coast had the pick of plenty of capable players but for some reason it hasn't gelled.
Every team deserves to be able to get a star player occasionally and to have all the theoretically best in a few teams is bad for the competition if they're in a team where they can't reach there potential.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I believe a number of players aren't signing as the AFLPA have asked the players to hold off on contract negotiations so to force a resolution on the CBA. Eventually the clubs will force a resolution as they will desperate to contract their players and the AFL will be forced to deal. After all it is the clubs the control the AFL with their votes.

So Shiel and Milera are scabs? I would think if that was the case it would have come out in the media. You have got 400 players that want to have a career in the media and would do themselves no harm by slipping a juicy story about a union telling its members not to sign contracts as part of a pay dispute.

I think it makes more sense what JJ (the bulldog) has openly said. He is going to back himself in. I think players like Gov and Lever were highly likely to take their games to the next level and that could be worth 100k a year to them. I dont think Gov can achieve that now with his massive lay off.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
So Shiel and Milera are scabs? I would think if that was the case it would have come out in the media. You have got 400 players that want to have a career in the media and would do themselves no harm by slipping a juicy story about a union telling its members not to sign contracts as part of a pay dispute.

I think it makes more sense what JJ (the bulldog) has openly said. He is going to back himself in. I think players like Gov and Lever were highly likely to take their games to the next level and that could be worth 100k a year to them. I dont think Gov can achieve that now with his massive lay off.
The worry with McGovern for me is with this time out of the game rehabilitating and then getting back to full fitness may make the call of home all the more stronger.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
The worry with McGovern for me is with this time out of the game rehabilitating and then getting back to full fitness may make the call of home all the more stronger.

Yeah it could do. My worry is that WCE also look strong. I think it would be less attractive to go home and play for a team with little premiership prospects. But both WCE and Crows seem to be on a similar level. The timing of this CBA is the worst because Lever and McGovern are two of the young players on our list that we absolutely must keep along with the Crouch boys. So far we have kept 1 of 4 long term which is positive. I am still thinking we are more likely than not to keep all 4.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

If you were part of the AFLPA wouldn't you ask your members to help the cause by not signing until the CBA was resolved. It will force a resolution as the clubs will start to get itchy feet and force the AFL to resolve it

I would be very very surprised if this isn't the case otherwise those on the AFLPA are genuinely incompetent

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you were part of the AFLPA wouldn't you ask your members to help the cause by not signing until the CBA was resolved. It will force a resolution as the clubs will start to get itchy feet and force the AFL to resolve it

I would be very very surprised if this isn't the case otherwise those on the AFLPA are genuinely incompetent

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe they would. But I would expect some leaks. Also, why did Shiel sign then? Why did Milera? I think there have been a few others as well, but I cant recall who.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

My first comment on the AFLPA. Is this the same organization that let its members be injected and banned and did nothing but go along?

If the 'holdout' was a thing it would be in the AFLPAs interest to highlight there is a holdout and what the reasons are. Get the fans involved as well

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do we even need 18 teams? I think 16 teams is enough. Not keen on a bye week, but I would rather drop to 17 than have another poorly supported team. I dont see what the benefit of having a team that is only getting 10,000 supporters at the home ground. Sometimes less is more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back