Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone we get in needs .. speed .. good hands ...and decent kick.

We are no longer a team that is slow. . Can't kick for s**t and pure inside. Even matt crouch who might be our worst kick isnt even that slow.

I think anyone with the skillset can play in our system so varcoe could. But imho hes too old... however he would do ok i think. If he's a free hit .. he would be challenging for the last few positions.

For me, the question is will he be in our best 22? No. Is there enough improvement in him to break into our best 22? No. Might as well take a punt with a late pick or promote a rookie instead.
He's about 3x as good as Mackay and has performed in big finals

We can afford to take him if it's for a 4th round or so , we don't have many 29 year olds so it's not a risk

He's about 3x as good as Mackay and has performed in big finals

We can afford to take him if it's for a 4th round or so , we don't have many 29 year olds so it's not a risk

He could be 3x as good as Mackay, and he still won't be best 22. I'd be expecting younger players to overtake them both by next season.

He could be 3x as good as Mackay, and he still won't be best 22. I'd be expecting younger players to overtake them both by next season.

Oh people have been saying they expect our younger players to overtake Mackay for the last 5 years...and that bedwetter is still being named on the field each week. He is an upgrade on CEY, Thommo and Gore...woah woah woah woah what is he good for. We could delist all three, save cash, have a solid senior and spend on two speculation picks.

I think Varcoe is OOC this year, which means we'd pick him up as a FA.

If we only have enough list spots so that our last live ND pick is around the 60 mark, it would be a choice between that pick and Varcoe.

I'm not going to say Varcoe is cooked, he's performed alright at Collingwood. I just don't see the value in getting a 30-year-old depth player.
hasn't been at collingwood 8 years so wouldn't be a FA. What we give in a trade is isn't the issue, it's how much his salary would cost; unless collingwood are planning on de-listing him, we'd need to offer him something decent. I'm not sure I see the point in getting him.

Varcoe wouldn't be the worst option to pick up cheap. We don't (won't) have much experienced depth left once Thommo retires, to go along VB, Pods, Reilly having retired over the past couple of years.

I could see him becoming extremely popular with BF posters, as a new whipping boy. We're getting a little short of those at present.

hasn't been at collingwood 8 years so wouldn't be a FA. What we give in a trade is isn't the issue, it's how much his salary would cost; unless collingwood are planning on de-listing him, we'd need to offer him something decent. I'm not sure I see the point in getting him.

There is no point getting him. It'd be like having another David Mackay, on David Mackay money, but with a contract that actually lasts longer than the rest of David Mackay's existing contract.

Would be disastrous and unnecessary list management

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Asked on the Pies board, Varcoe is out of contract at the end of this year, so I guess if it was true and he wanted to move over, we can probably set him at a reasonable deal should he find it acceptable to take backup sort of $.

Did anyone watch on the couch this week. They raised how older players are dropping off with some check list of what to watch out for. As silly as anyone might think that is, there is a noticeable trend in how once elite players now have seriously quastionable futures. Brown pointed out its not just a yard of pace that you lose its reflexes. Now not all players need to be scrapped by the time they reach 30, but only the elite few maintain a high quality beyond this age. Varcoe was never elite. Why would we possibly waste our time banking on him to be one of the precious few. Does the current question marks around an elite player like Pendlebury not set of alarm bells about even Bryce Gibbs? Let alone Varcoe. This whole discussion is beyond ridiculous.

Did anyone watch on the couch this week. They raised how older players are dropping off with some check list of what to watch out for. As silly as anyone might think that is, there is a noticeable trend in how once elite players now have seriously quastionable futures. Brown pointed out its not just a yard of pace that you lose its reflexes. Now not all players need to be scrapped by the time they reach 30, but only the elite few maintain a high quality beyond this age. Varcoe was never elite. Why would we possibly waste our time banking on him to be one of the precious few. Does the current question marks around an elite player like Pendlebury not set of alarm bells about even Bryce Gibbs? Let alone Varcoe. This whole discussion is beyond ridiculous.
It's a good point.

The best teams at the moment are fast fast fast.

That's why Hawthorn, Sydney, North are struggling. Their games are based on possession and precision which gets eroded when teams like us just never let up on them.

Guys like Pendlebury, Kennedy, Burgoyne, thrive on having time to use their skills.

So to Gibbs, would his skills but lack of speed help or hinder? May be a bit like Thommo - I don't want to see him back in. He just wouldn't fit anymore.

Varcoe? I don't rate. Has too many clangers, poor skill, bad execution. But as a pacy, pressure player - it could work?

But he'd take the spot of a Hampton, Mackay, Seedsman. I don't think he adds anything new.

It's a no from me, but don't give up on your dreams Travis.

It's a good point.

The best teams at the moment are fast fast fast.

That's why Hawthorn, Sydney, North are struggling. Their games are based on possession and precision which gets eroded when teams like us just never let up on them.

Guys like Pendlebury, Kennedy, Burgoyne, thrive on having time to use their skills.

So to Gibbs, would his skills but lack of speed help or hinder? May be a bit like Thommo - I don't want to see him back in. He just wouldn't fit anymore.

Varcoe? I don't rate. Has too many clangers, poor skill, bad execution. But as a pacy, pressure player - it could work?

But he'd take the spot of a Hampton, Mackay, Seedsman. I don't think he adds anything new.

It's a no from me, but don't give up on your dreams Travis.

Think you might be off the mark on Hawthorn, they are struggling because they have lost so many good players and funnily enough slow ones, Sydney are struggling because they have been smashed by injuries to good players.

I believe we are travelling so well because we have a tall team, and football for years has been won if you have quality big players, imagine coming up against us having 8 quite capable talls on the field, you can't put a midget on them as we will gain the aerial supremacy and play through that option. Most teams are lucky to have 5 big guys, it's an unusual way we have developed

It's like some people haven't watched Varcoe's Collingwood career at all but are experts in analysing him

Varcoe has shown a lot of ability has some speed and very evasive, the only question about getting him is fitting him in the salary cap, he definetly will not play for peanuts infact he will probably want more than he is worth, players leaving teams generally over value themselves and if you want them you must pay the $$$$

Oh people have been saying they expect our younger players to overtake Mackay for the last 5 years...and that bedwetter is still being named on the field each week. He is an upgrade on CEY, Thommo and Gore...woah woah woah woah what is he good for. We could delist all three, save cash, have a solid senior and spend on two speculation picks.
This is the query for me. How many players are we going to get rid of at the end of this year? Thommo is a given, it's likely that CEY and Gore will be gone, too. Wigg could be delisted (would be very stiff, though), and Kelly could be traded. That's five.

I feel like we'll want, and get, Gibbs at the end of this year. I also feel like we could promote both Greenwood and Beech. If we also get Varcoe, that leaves only one draft selection, and even then, that selection won't be live (it'll be Edwards). Surely we won't go into the draft with no live picks, and only one selection overall? Feel like we'd be better off going for a younger player mid-draft than getting Varcoe, if that's the case.

Varcoe has shown a lot of ability has some speed and very evasive, the only question about getting him is fitting him in the salary cap, he definetly will not play for peanuts infact he will probably want more than he is worth, players leaving teams generally over value themselves and if you want them you must pay the $$$$

I think most people who wouldn't mind Varcoe, wouldn't take him if he cost much. They are all arguing if he comes cheap enough and he doesn't cost at the trade table then yes. If he wants more than 250- 300k or cost us an actual pick we might have used in the draft, then I'd pass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back