Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be happy if we do pick 5 and 42 and Weller for Picks 2, 20 and 25. Better though we get pick 2 and to them Weller and 41

Both equate to about pick 4. More importantly it gives us a good chance to get someone of about equal development/talent/age (the mix more or less)
I think that is what going to happen... Both parties somewhat win win........ Good one

If we do hang onto Weller, we can't disc

Nah that's what Tim Gossage said. The SEN presenters were say no way easily a first rounder probably top 10.
Was it really Gossage? Man that guy is a flog

How does a person drafted in the 30's and ready to play 12-15 games next year and 20-24 the year after now be worth a pick in the 60's, no injury problems, just missing mums cooking at home, something is wrong with the system. How much would have been invested in his development, relocation costs, assisted trips to be home with family last year, etc.

I don't know ... But how is it that a guy:
  • drafted in the mid-30s
  • played 9, 11, 17 games in his first three years
  • ended up kicking progressively more goals each year too with 41 goals from 37 games by the end of his 3rd year
  • with no injury problems
  • soaking up 3 years of development from his first club
ends up walking out the door for #63 just because he wanted to play with his best mate (what a sook).

Shane Kersten come on down.

You win some, you lose some.

Watch the AFL get involved, give us pick 2, then conjure up a priority pick for their failed project (GC) just because they can. I'll take off my tin foil hat now.

They already have their hands over this deal, GC need a player to replace Ablett Weller will attract a younger fan base. He will be a 10 year player for them. Worth pick 2.

I don't know ... But how is it that a guy:
  • drafted in the mid-30s
  • played 9, 11, 17 games in his first three years
  • ended up kicking progressively more goals each year too with 41 goals from 37 games by the end of his 3rd year
  • with no injury problems
  • soaking up 3 years of development from his first club
ends up walking out the door for #63 just because he wanted to play with his best mate (what a sook).

Shane Kersten come on down.

You win some, you lose some.
Or

- wasn't best 22 by the end of the year
- coach was losing faith in him
- felt like he wasn't given a role that suited him
- got fed up with his teammates kicking it to Hawkins outnumbered
- left for more opportunity for a club starving for forwards
- knew he'd be best 22 for Fremantle, knows he'd play a different role that suits him more

Kersten isn't a sook, he left more opportunity. He could see his career wasn't going to well at the Cattery, they hardly tried to keep him. It was either leave and be best 22 elsewhere, or risk being delisted in a year or two on less money. He made the obvious choice.

Watch the AFL get involved, give us pick 2, then conjure up a priority pick for their failed project (GC) just because they can. I'll take off my tin foil hat now.
I think you think too much and become paranoid , give you pick 2 take it who care about what AFL do or don't after that .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They already have their hands over this deal, GC need a player to replace Ablett Weller will attract a younger fan base. He will be a 10 year player for them. Worth pick 2.
Exactly, as they should be if they want their experiment to last. I was trying to tell their fans on the main board that a player like Weller actually wanting to play for them is basically invaluable, and should mean more than a draft pick, that most likely will be some vic kid who asks to go home in a year. Alas, they could not comprehend the argument and along with the other club fans, kept getting stuck on over valuing draft picks and how we're hypocrites ect ect.

I'm normally pretty positive but I just realised that this could be an abysmal trade period if we have a "fair" trade for Weller and Matera and lose Balic for pick 66.

Out: Balic, Crozier, Weller, next year 4th
In: Wilson, Matera, pick 24, pick 66

If we are giving Balic away for peanuts, it had better be the pick given for Matera and we had better have a win with the Weller Trade

I'm normally pretty positive but I just realised that this could be an abysmal trade period if we have a "fair" trade for Weller and Matera and lose Balic for pick 66.

If we are giving Balic away for peanuts, it had better be the pick given for Matera and we had better have a win with the Weller Trade
Pick 2 ?

We won't accept a bunch of picks in the twenties for Weller.

Weller's manager said he'll play for Freo if a trade can't be worked out, and we clearly rate him a lot higher than that. I think the most likely outcome this trade period is we get Wilson for next year's second, Matera for a pick in the 40s and Weller stays.

I would also be surprised if the pick is 66 for Balic - remember we had a host of media sources saying the pick is reportedly 47 and one tweet from a Herald Sun journalist saying the pick is 'possibly' pick 66

We won't accept a bunch of picks in the twenties for Weller.
My point stands though, we have to win the trade or its an abysmal trade period. Two picks in the low twenties is roughly a fair trade, slight loss for us I suppose.

I do agree though, we wont trade him for that under any circumstances which is terrific. If GC want him, they can pay.

Weller's manager said he'll play for Freo if a trade can't be worked out, and we clearly rate him a lot higher than that. I think the most likely outcome this trade period is we get Wilson for next year's second, Matera for a pick in the 40s and Weller stays.

I would also be surprised if the pick is 66 for Balic - remember we had a host of media sources saying the pick is reportedly 47 and one tweet from a Herald Sun journalist saying the pick is 'possibly' pick 66
I hadnt seen those sources saying 47, thought that was just BF talk but yeah, I'm being pessimistic. No reason it shouldnt be 47. I also agree with your most likely outcome

My point stands though, we have to win the trade or its an abysmal trade period. Two picks in the low twenties is roughly a fair trade, slight loss for us I suppose.

I do agree though, we wont trade him for that under any circumstances which is terrific. If GC want him, they can pay.

I hadnt seen those sources saying 47, thought that was just BF talk but yeah, I'm being pessimistic. No reason it shouldnt be 47. I also agree with your most likely outcome
I thought we would get 47 because I don't think Melbourne have list spots for more than their 3 seconds.

I thought we would get 47 because I don't think Melbourne have list spots for more than their 3 seconds.
That was my understanding as well but assumed that reporter had some actual knowledge. Hopefully he his talking out his arse

Back