Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Stayed till the deadline and enjoyed the hype with everyone here before on the road again.

A few things in perspective I find interesting in terms of media bagging GCS is that they collapse the deal to being only Pick 2.
Points wise its between picks 3 and 4. That was right on the button in terms of a pick to replace Weller that would need to come from the top 5.

I am surprised the media has not made a lot out of GCS trade with West Coast where they effectively gave away 2990points for 1600 to 2000.
Thats a massive hit. Just don't get why they did that. If WCE come last or 2nd last its not so bad but that is not likely to happen.

I just can't believe that after all that we jumped past St Kilda's picks 7 & 8 with 2 & 5 while still bringing in Nathan Wilson.
And we're ahead of St Kilda too in terms of rebuilding. And they've been doing it since 2011. Loving it.

What's really interesting is that the Eagles are now out of the Ian Hill sweepstakes. Trading out of next year's 1st round is dangerous.

They got GCS’s second though, which is probably pick 19 to 22. Just a downgrade of somewhere between 6 and 20 places (my money would be on about 14 places). In return they’re going to hoover up all of the best 2017 WA talent, without competition from us.

HU0ADYC.gif
Knew you'd be busy. This is gold! Now get to work with some Thug Life gifs...

Massive result for the club, Lloyd is the man, two years in a row we have done brilliantly. Anyone that complains about this has no idea.

Can anyone tell me what we actually have left for the 2018 draft now? Is it just our first round pick and then nothing? Is that even legal - I thought we had to draft three players?

The draft keeps running until every club has filled their list. So hypothetically if a club de-listed 12 players and didn't trade in/out any picks or players the draft that year would be 12 rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still trying to get my head around what happened! The manner in which it unfolded. One of the most craziest moments, I never thought possible. I didn't think Pick 2 would be done. Pretty phenomenal the way it played out, I didn't realise until yesterday you could live stream the signings in the room where the paperwork gets lodged. So I watched it with some trepidation and was relieved when the Wilson deal got done. But with each passing hour, we whittled down to the last 10 mins and I thought oh no, the Weller trade won't go through and he'll most likely sit it out ala Cam Mac - not a good look since it's been done.

But the deal was struck, with what - a minute or less than to go?! Unbelievable, absolutely unreal. What a trade period....all those late deals got done, including Stringer, Shache, Abelett etc etc....but we just went BOOM and nailed it with seconds ticking down.....madness, my stream kept breaking up, interruptions galore...I was swearing at the computer, losing my headphones...I looked like Malthouse in the coaches box having a rage.....mental!

Really, congratulations Fremantle FC, you've done 2 years of great trading, you excelled in the heat of the moment yesterday and didn't crack, top stuff Lloyd...2 picks inside the top 5, obviously unknown quantities at the moment, but a great opportunity to add more young talent at the top end. Never saw that coming, that's huge!!! Shame we lost those 2018 picks, but I'm sure we'll worry about that at the appropriate time.

It was disappointing that Lachie requested a trade and when he did (the timing was bog awful!) and then it was maddening and cringe-inducing to hear him sell his soul on radio, but he got what he wanted and so did we. In the end, we all move on with what we've got and go to work. Great to see Bennell welcoming his good mate Wilson in "let's get to work". That's exciting.

So we say au revoir to Balic and Crozier and of course Weller, but we welcome Matera and Wilson and our upcoming draftees as we enter the next chapter. A new younger team is emerging and some top young talent is blossoming. Can't wait for draft night and for season 2018 to commence, new stadium, new found hope.....it all begins here. The future is bright....the future is Purple :)

Back