Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure if Lloyd's improved or the structure's/strategy's changed.
Maybe the shackles have been loosened and the rebuild flowchart rejigged.
Of course it could be both plus other things but the impression is something has changed significantly down at cobbler central and it appears this has happened since Monsieur Lyon started piping up about how recruitment is the absolute bedrock of success.

Of course it could be both plus other things but the impression is something has changed significantly down at cobbler central and it appears this has happened since Monsieur Lyon started piping up about how recruitment is the absolute bedrock of success.

Or when he started saying let the Cobblers do the Cobbling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has the DFA pool ever been as uninspiring as this one? It's like the anti-draft where rather than get excited about recruiting them, everyone is under extreme fear that their club might take one. I shiver whenever I look at the list of DFA named threads on the D+T board.

Colin BASKET CASE Sylvia was the straw that broke the Camels back. Midway through 2015 when we came to a settlement agreement that he be gone ASAP there was a presser with Lyon about this and he said that they had made too many mistakes and there had been an internal review and change in recruitment strategy. I think for BASKET CASE the writing was on the wall in the pre-season in the lead up to the 2014 AFL draft. They had just come off a trade period of no activity continually repeating that they would only go for quality with trades.

I think since 2014 things have changed and improved. Although you could have challenged this with the recruitment of Shane Yarran. It was a very late pick but somehow we missed the glassing incident which he managed to keep under wraps.

Since 2014 there has been decent ND picks:
2014: Weller, Blakely, Langdon, Hughes
2015: Tucker, Balic, Collins, Nhyhuis
2016: Logue, Darcy, Cox, Ryan, Duman

Only of the above was Collins delisted but I suspect that was give him opportunities elsewhere and not part of our long term plans due to depth in his position.

Have to agree none of the DFA's really strike a chord for me. Some I see a bit of value for other clubs to fill needs but not given our rebuild phase and need to get games into the younger players. Josh Hill for example I think still has some good footy in him in a team that can move the ball quickly.
I think its more likely we will pick up a few mature agers from the lower leagues than DFAs.

On McGovern I think a) interested to see how well he goes when not playing at Subiaco all the time and having to run more b) think his current contract will be more money than we would consider because he is one of basically just two players the Eagles can pin longer term hopes on (along with Yeo).

Have to agree none of the DFA's really strike a chord for me. Some I see a bit of value for other clubs to fill needs but not given our rebuild phase and need to get games into the younger players. Josh Hill for example I think still has some good footy in him in a team that can move the ball quickly.
I think its more likely we will pick up a few mature agers from the lower leagues than DFAs.

On McGovern I think a) interested to see how well he goes when not playing at Subiaco all the time and having to run more b) think his current contract will be more money than we would consider because he is one of basically just two players the Eagles can pin longer term hopes on (along with Yeo).

Mullet would've been ok imo.

I did too, but Trengrove and Thomas?

I thought Motlop, Watts and Rockliff were great pick ups, but now it feels like they've gone over the top.

Obviously if they win a premiership all good.
Couldn’t have put it better myself... which I did at exactly same time. High quality post cobbler.

I don’t. If they stopped at McKenzie then I’m onboard but Trengove and Thomas is u doing some their good work for mine.
They still keep their next year pick from Rd 1 to Rd 3 , worse come to worse delist trengove, Thomas, canon next year and replace them with new draftee . Three out three in.

Port Adelaide 2018 draft

1 first rd pick
2 second rd pick
2 third rd pick

* If DFA work they can sell their pick to club like Freo , if not delist them and draft 5 draftee .

Last edited:
Back