Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.png This bloke would be a fairly good 2017 recruit, although about as likely as Miranda Kerr hooking up with me!

No action 2017

But there are some VERY interesting names coming out of contract in 2018. Also we'll be able to roll some contracts forward and have a huge war chest available.

No action 2017

But there are some VERY interesting names coming out of contract in 2018. Also we'll be able to roll some contracts forward and have a huge war chest available.
Think this has been a regular post since Tippett-gate

Given his progress to date there is no way he is costing less than what he was drafted at

He's thriving
He is. If he doesn't nail a position this year, and there's no immediate prospect due to Davis / Tomlinson / Hayne, he might think he's too good for the reserves and look elsewhere.

It's rare that players who have failed to establish a place in the first team after two years get traded out for more than they were originally drafted with.

I think he's better than Tomlinson, or will be soon, and the point will be moot.

But GWS are trying to win a premiership, not play the kids. There's a reasonable chance Himmelberg becomes available.

No action 2017

Let's not be too hasty. I think there are some great players yet to be drafted who will be coming out of contract in 2019.

We cannot rush this!

He is. If he doesn't nail a position this year, and there's no immediate prospect due to Davis / Tomlinson / Hayne, he might think he's too good for the reserves and look elsewhere.

It's rare that players who have failed to establish a place in the first team after two years get traded out for more than they were originally drafted with.

I think he's better than Tomlinson, or will be soon, and the point will be moot.

But GWS are trying to win a premiership, not play the kids. There's a reasonable chance Himmelberg becomes available.

When he does let them delist him or sell him for a 4th rounder.

Think we covered this before - he's already playing in the same team with all of those guys. There's no either/or

If it was me in charge I wouldn't trade with the Giants. Let them delist those they can't afford to re-sign. Why give them picks. They want their academy blokes, let them fight for them. Every team should just stop trading with them and the Suns.

That wont work. There will always be a club willing to trade with them, not least Carlton. All it would do is let the other clubs get better deals on GWS and Giants players. The problem right now is that if the Giants and Suns cannot hold on to their players then they will basically become development clubs for Victorian teams. So GWS take Josh Kelly with pick 2 and then develop him into an elite player and then trade him to a Melbourne club for pick 2 a few years later. Who got better value with their pick 2? Its the Melbourne club with a guaranteed elite player who has already gone through the development phase. I would prefer us do the opposite and go hard for a guy like Josh. If we cant secure him, then at least we keep the other Vic clubs honest and give GWS more bargaining power when they deal with them. I would rather GWS win premierships than Carlton or Hawthorn with a team of ex-GWS/Suns players that they got on the cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly

Does the war chest actually exist?
Well we could afford Gibbs.

I have had enough of saving a war chest for a rainy day.

Time to spend on a gun player of need & load up for a flag.

Reid should be in the ear of player managers letting them know we want to spend...

Well we could afford Gibbs.

I have had enough of saving a war chest for a rainy day.

Time to spend on a gun player of need & load up for a flag.

Reid should be in the ear of player managers letting them know we want to spend...
I'd hope we go for a FA first and foremost. Would love to get a tall or a tough, yet skilled mid like Hunter Clark or Luke Davies-Uniacke with our first next year.

That wont work. There will always be a club willing to trade with them, not least Carlton. All it would do is let the other clubs get better deals on GWS and Giants players. The problem right now is that if the Giants and Suns cannot hold on to their players then they will basically become development clubs for Victorian teams. So GWS take Josh Kelly with pick 2 and then develop him into an elite player and then trade him to a Melbourne club for pick 2 a few years later. Who got better value with their pick 2? Its the Melbourne club with a guaranteed elite player who has already gone through the development phase. I would prefer us do the opposite and go hard for a guy like Josh. If we cant secure him, then at least we keep the other Vic clubs honest and give GWS more bargaining power when they deal with them. I would rather GWS win premierships than Carlton or Hawthorn with a team of ex-GWS/Suns players that they got on the cheap.

That sounds fine but eventually, Carlton will run out of picks to give GWS for their players. let's face it if SOS wasn't their list manager most of those GWS players would be struggling to find a club right now. The Melbourne clubs may get a top player or two but at what cost? They would have to delist players they would rather keep let alone ruin their salary caps. That means the other clubs can pick them up for nothing. The draft would have a better quality of kids for clubs to pick from. This pointless exercise of just bowing to the expansion clubs has to stop.

Also, I bet the VFL House dare not give the GWS any penalty for Whitfield, Allan and Lambert. They are truly gutless.

That sounds fine but eventually, Carlton will run out of picks to give GWS for their players. let's face it if SOS wasn't their list manager most of those GWS players would be struggling to find a club right now. The Melbourne clubs may get a top player or two but at what cost? They would have to delist players they would rather keep let alone ruin their salary caps. That means the other clubs can pick them up for nothing. The draft would have a better quality of kids for clubs to pick from. This pointless exercise of just bowing to the expansion clubs has to stop.

Also, I bet the VFL House dare not give the GWS any penalty for Whitfield, Allan and Lambert. They are truly gutless.
GWS list is now back to the same size as other clubs with no extras, so there is no longer a need for them to trade a stack of players to reduce their list quota.

SOS will need to live up to his name & look for another recruitment plan.

GWS list is now back to the same size as other clubs with no extras, so there is no longer a need for them to trade a stack of players to reduce their list quota.

SOS will need to live up to his name & look for another recruitment plan.

They are under cap pressure though Kane. Let them suffer like we have too. I thought they had this coming year with the higher list, I'm sure I read that. Vader would know for sure. My point remains. Why line their pockets?

They are under cap pressure though Kane. Let them suffer like we have too. I thought they had this coming year with the higher list, I'm sure I read that. Vader would know for sure. My point remains. Why line their pockets?
If they are under cap pressure, then may be opportunity to trade a player in for unders.

Think we covered this before - he's already playing in the same team with all of those guys. There's no either/or
He has played 4 games.

Round 17 Brisbane vs GWS, Himmelberg played alongside Davis/Tomlinson/Haynes/Patfull.
Round 18 Port vs GWS, Himmelberg played alongside Davis/Tomlinson/Haynes/Patfull.
Round 19 GWS vs Richmond, Himmelberg played alongside Davis/Tomlinson/Patfull (no Haynes)
Round 20 GC vs GWS, Himmelberg played alongside Davis/Tomlinson/Haynes/Patfull.

He was left out for round 21 vs WCE onwards.

Two ways to interpret that. It could be proof that he fits in alongside other tall defenders, and with Patfull moving aside he will be the logical replacement. It could be that they gave him a crack in some pretty easy matches without pushing aside any of their preferred defenders, and left him out as soon as they encountered a difficult opponent.

I think their back 7 is likely to be Davis/Haynes/Tomlinson/Shaw/Williams/Wilson (potentially A Kennedy instead of Wilson)...plus 1 of Himmelberg, Corr and Buntine.

Both Buntine and Corr were impacted by injuries last year. Buntine was made a vice captain at the start of 2016.

Alright I've been to a bunch of the Giants matches as my local team, and watched plenty more on TV. Himmelberg is composed and a natural contest-winner, and I would love to see him nail down a spot and take over a few games.

I reckon given a clear injury run and a likely conservative selection policy, Himmelberg will have to play out of his skin to push his way into a finals lineup.

Again, I remember hearing he was actually played up forward for those games. Now, I'm not entirely sure, but it would make sense if he played in the same team as four other tall defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back