List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

So up to the bye how are our amazing 2017 drafts/trades working out?
Witts the standout
I'd say Micky Barlow is doing what we expected and is worth everything we paid for him- and Freo hasn't missed him either
Lyons a pass but not setting the world on fire- probably because he's basically been playing centre half back and can't release
Hanley - well awful family reasons aside- we haven't seen anything from him yet
The 3 prize draft picks look like ordinary draft picks to me at this stage
No doubt they'll be better once they adapt to the pace and physicality of senior footy
Overall above average I'd say but not amazing

Witts the standout
I'd say Micky Barlow is doing what we expected and is worth everything we paid for him- and Freo hasn't missed him either
Lyons a pass but not setting the world on fire- probably because he's basically been playing centre half back and can't release
No doubt they'll be better once they adapt to the pace and physicality of senior footy
Bit harsh of the draft picks.
I think this is the first year we can actually bring our draft picks in and develop them properly.
Instead of throwing them in the deep end..
I cant wait to see what Hanley provides!

bit suprised Fiorini hasnt kicked on, he seems slower and indecisive this year, really freezes around the goals too tries to do everything but take the shot

the guy I am wondering about is Brodie, seemed to be ready made as an inside mid in JLT and have fallen off the radar

Witts the standout
Lyons B. I think he's been quite good. He's no world beater but 2015 he averaged 12 disp. Last year that jumped to 21. This year he's taken that to 25. Laying 5 tackles a game. His goals are down this year, but as you rightly said, he's sitting down back in some games!
His efficiency is down a bit, but that comes with the way good teams work out our only game plan within 2 seconds and pressure us. Cost us pick 43.
Witts B+
. Previous years we got smashed in hit outs. He's nullified that really well. Is never going to be that ruckman who gets 20 disposals or takes pack marks. Picks 44 & 62
Barlow B
. He's doing what he's always done. Professional and hard working and just what the kids need around them as they develop. Cost us nothing.
Looking forward to seeing Hanley

Bowes, Scheer will take time - but rather get games into them than previous years with Russell, Davis, Hallahan, Shaw, Tape, Broughton, Stanley
Ainsworth looked good in the small sample we've seen

Bit harsh of the draft picks.
I think this is the first year we can actually bring our draft picks in and develop them properly.
Instead of throwing them in the deep end..
I cant wait to see what Hanley provides!

You can't mark draft picks until 2 years in really

Ainsworth is quality, Scrimshaw was always going to take time, Brodie hasn't been given an opportunity but hopefully that's about to change after the China performance, Bowes and Scheer are going need some time

Sorry-re the draftees
I should clarify
I didn't mean they were" ordinary" as in no good, I meant just bog standard "ordinary"selections that will take time to develop
At this stage I don't feel like we've picked anyone's pockets
None of them has come in and gone"bang"
Like any ordinary draft selection their true worth will become clearer in the next couple of seasons

Sorry-re the draftees
I should clarify
I didn't mean they were" ordinary" as in no good, I meant just bog standard "ordinary"selections that will take time to develop
Like any ordinary draft selection their true worth will become clearer in the next couple of seasons
I understood and I agree, none have performed to a particularly high level yet so you could throw a blanket over them to some extent

No rising star noms, in the preseason with all the hype I'd have expected one from the lot at this point

Sorry-re the draftees
I should clarify

Generally higher selection go straight into their sides because they are a lower team to begin with.
GWS the exception but even with Taranto they knew they wanted him and were going to play him early on.

If we pick Mcluggage i reckon he would be putting in standard results in the NEAFL.
His selection in the lions team at the moment is questionable.

I understood and I agree, none have performed to a particularly high level yet so you could throw a blanket over them to some extent

No rising star noms, in the preseason with all the hype I'd have expected one from the lot at this point

So far the pick of the draftees have been McGrath (1), Taranto (2), SPS (5), SPP (15), Parfitt (26) - the other nominations have been Marchbank, Hipwood, Burton who played last year.

It is pretty hard to pick any pockets in the draft at 4, 6, 8 and 10 when the best you can hope for is for hopefully 1 star and 3 solid best 22 players going forward, anything more than that is a bonus.

In terms of trades for what we gave up for Witts, Lyons and Barlow they all represent good value. Hanley was the only trade we paid a price for so hopefully we see him back soon so he can prove his worth.

I keep thinking we should throw a 5yr $6mil contract offer at Dusty and see if he would like out of the Vic fishbowl and once again enjoy some anonymity in his life.

Employ a full-time baby sitter of sorts to keep him on the relative straight and narrow (which a friend of Deledio told me the Tigers have been using for a few years).

Is he too much of a risk?

I keep thinking we should throw a 5yr $6mil contract offer at Dusty and see if he would like out of the Vic fishbowl and once again enjoy some anonymity in his life.

Employ a full-time baby sitter of sorts to keep him on the relative straight and narrow (which a friend of Deledio told me the Tigers have been using for a few years).

Too much of a risk

I can't help but glance at the worst case scenario of repeating the spectacle of late 2015

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would be madness I think, he is a very bad egg off the field and would be a retrograde step for us

So from Scheer Bowes Fiorini Willis Ainsworth Brodie and Macpherson who do people think can step up to the level of Swallow Ablett Rischitelli?
ie fill the O'Meara Prestia roles
I hope I'm wrong but Touk seems to have stalled a bit this year.
Hoping he's not at the top of his development curve.
If Gaz leaves end of year our A grade mid stocks are really Swallow +/-Riska +/- Lyon
I think Touk is really a B+ as is Micky Barlow and Aaron Hall simply because he's one dimensional and only works one way
Obviously Hanley may rotate mid but really will do most of his work on a wing/half-back you'd think

What's your thoughts on B Ah Chee for B Matera would u need steak knifes as well or fair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back