List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a RFA - we have the right of last refusal on any offer that a club puts to him - if we match it we get to keep him on those terms

I imagine if another club offered $1.4m x 7 years why wouldn't we match it
Why wouldnt you match it?

You would only match it to force a trade.

Because no one pays $1.4 m per year for even 1 year if that player doesnt want to be there.

Why wouldnt you match it?

You would only match it to force a trade.

Because no one pays $1.4 m per year for even 1 year if that player doesnt want to be there.

You match if he's the best player in the comp and you don't have any cap issues and no other prospects

A bloke on the main board posted this, saying he has a source that the following is about Tom Lynch

2. Don't know the Victorian club that has tabled the offer or the length of the contract, just the amount and so do the Suns coaching staff and board. And know his manager has already told Rodney he won't renew beyond this contract. Cochrane has taken a Jaegar stance with the player, who will attempt to push through a trade this period. But has been told dreaming, so he's happy to run his contract down. He might struggle to pass a medical this period with his knee anyway and is no guarantee to play early next year. But he wants out desperately!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A bloke on the main board posted this, saying he has a source that the following is about Tom Lynch

2. Don't know the Victorian club that has tabled the offer or the length of the contract, just the amount and so do the Suns coaching staff and board. And know his manager has already told Rodney he won't renew beyond this contract. Cochrane has taken a Jaegar stance with the player, who will attempt to push through a trade this period. But has been told dreaming, so he's happy to run his contract down. He might struggle to pass a medical this period with his knee anyway and is no guarantee to play early next year. But he wants out desperately!

Lol

What a load of S***, no one is more committed than Lynch. Although I wouldn't blame him for exploring his options if next year was a failure aswell. We've heard it all before interstate players desperately want out of the Suns then they end up staying. It comes with having a superstar coming out of contract I suppose

On ZTE T84 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Regardless of who the new coach is, the one move to give the club a shot of stability would be an early resigning of Tom Lynch. We've got good kids signed up, we have May and Wright signed up, and Swallow. But if Lynch holds out too long and next year is tough, any reasonable human is going to get caught up in the idea of a move to a strong Melbourne team, packaged up with a nice financial windfall.

Boot Ablett, and throw money at Lynch now.

Regardless of who the new coach is, the one move to give the club a shot of stability would be an early resigning of Tom Lynch. We've got good kids signed up, we have May and Wright signed up, and Swallow. But if Lynch holds out too long and next year is tough, any reasonable human is going to get caught up in the idea of a move to a strong Melbourne team, packaged up with a nice financial windfall.

Boot Ablett, and throw money at Lynch now.

My understanding is that as Lynch and Ablett are both in there last years you couldn't directly give the Ablett salary saving to Lynch but you could restructure a couple of other players deals to front load them more to clear even more future cap space going forward.

We're facing a big cull and will probably want to take as many picks as we can this draft IMO.

Would you guys be open to our pick #9 traded for your picks #21 and #22?

We're facing a big cull and will probably want to take as many picks as we can this draft IMO.

Would you guys be open to our pick #9 traded for your picks #21 and #22?

Yes - I think we would, especially if we are still left with a #24 and #32.

Maybe throw back your 3rd rd pick (43-48) as we may have a use for it in a trade for getting a B grade mid

IMO Trade or Delist the following players (obviously not all these will go, but I am tilted):

Ablett
Grant
Hallahan
Mckenzie
Sexton
Lemmens
Rosa
Matera
Nicholls
Hall
Thompson
Shaw
Lonergan
Willis

14 players that could very easily be moved on. They won't all be, but these are who we should be looking at.

Last edited:
I've been watching Alex Keath tonight play for the Crows.Poise, athleticism, decision making holding a spot in a premiership contending team
It makes me do a double think on Clayton
Is he as bad as I think?
Every draft selection is a bit hit and miss and I'm starting to think it was more likely the complete lack of any player development protocols or pathway at the Club
You'd imagine Hawthorn Collingwood Adelaide would have millions to throw at player development.
I doubt we even have a Player Development Unit?Do we?Who's in charge?
Because I'm absolutely certain if Alex Keath had stayed here he wouldn't be at the level he is today- and lets not forget he spent about 5 years trying to make it as a cricketer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Trade or Delist the following players (obviously not all these will go, but I am tilted):

Grant
Hallahan
Mckenzie
Sexton
Lemmens
Rosa
Matera
Nicholls
Hall
Thompson
Shaw
Lonergan

12 players that could very easily be moved on, and we wouldn't be missing much.

As an addendum to my last post, I find the really sad part is, that with proper player development most of those could have been really strong 150 game+ players IMO
Theyall have enough talent (excluding Hallahan and Shaw)
Lonergan Sexton McKenzie are just wasted careers

I've been watching Alex Keath tonight play for the Crows.Poise, athleticism, decision making holding a spot in a premiership contending team
It makes me do a double think on Clayton
Is he as bad as I think?
Every draft selection is a bit hit and miss and I'm starting to think it was more likely the complete lack of any player development protocols or pathway at the Club
You'd imagine Hawthorn Collingwood Adelaide would have millions to throw at player development.
I doubt we even have a Player Development Unit?Do we?Who's in charge?
Because I'm absolutely certain if Alex Keath had stayed here he wouldn't be at the level he is today- and lets not forget he spent about 5 years trying to make it as a cricketer.

Yes your right , everyone on this forum lauded last years trade period and draft , his last couple of years have been good , but is he going to pay for the initial start up which looks horrible in hindsight or where they not devolped right?

Just to further my point from earlier, our team in2018 is hopefully looking something like this:

????-S.May-K.Kolo
A.Saad-J.Leslie-J.Harbrow
P.Hanley-D.Swallow-????
J.Martin-P.Wright-C.Ah Chee
B.Ainsworth-T.Lynch-S.Day

J.Witts-J.Lyons-????

M.Barlow-T.Miller-M.Rischitelli-B.Fiorini

Reserves:

D.Macphearson
B.Scheer
J.Schoenfeld
J.Bowes
J.Scrimshaw
W.Brodie
J.Joyce
M.Spencer
B.Crossley
D.Currie

The ???? are places we must bring in some bigger and experienced bodies.

-A small lockdown defender
-A midfield bull
-An outside player who has ELITE kicking skills

There is a lot of space in that reserves list as well for young players. With these if possible if we have the choice between younger players towards the end of the draft, would love to fill those rookie and late draft spots with locals if they are available and close to the level.

Last edited:

Well if it's on the main board of BF then he's gone I guess.

Just to further my point from earlier, our team in2018 is hopefully looking something like this:

????-S.May-K.Kolo
A.Saad-J.Leslie-J.Harbrow
P.Hanley-D.Swallow-????
J.Martin-P.Wright-C.Ah Chee
B.Ainsworth-T.Lynch-S.Day

J.Witts-J.Lyons-????

M.Barlow-T.Miller-M.Rischitelli-B.Fiorini

Reserves:

D.Macphearson
B.Scheer
J.Schoenfeld
J.Bowes
J.Scrimshaw
W.Brodie
J.Joyce
M.Spencer
B.Crossley
D.Currie

The ???? are places we must bring in some bigger and experienced bodies.

-A small lockdown defender
-A midfield bull
-An outside player who has ELITE kicking skills

There is a lot of space in that reserves list as well for young players. With these if possible if we have the choice between younger players towards the end of the draft, would love to fill those rookie and late draft spots with locals if they are available and close to the level.
You forgot D.Martin and T.Rockliff

Yes your right , everyone on this forum lauded last years trade period and draft , his last couple of years have been good , but is he going to pay for the initial start up which looks horrible in hindsight or where they not devolped right?

I've been a fan of Clayton's from his previous work at other clubs and was rapt when he was announced as the sun's list manager. I still whole heartedly believe he is a great recruiter but It has been development that has been our downfall all he can do is pick the players that show potential. It's up to the development team to bring that potential to reality. All his picks have been on the mark each year but 2-3 years later only 40% of them have followed through. Wether it be the assistant coaches or development coaches I think all of them need to be fired and replaced.

2 years ago he handed Melbourne picks 3 & 10 so we could get pick 6.
10 became 12 with academy picks and Charlie Curnow ended up going at 12. He'll be a star.
I'm beginning to believe Wallace when he said Clayton doesn't understand today's game.
And I wouldn't look too far into Evans saying Clayton is one of the best. He's doing everything possible to replace him with Wright

2 years ago he handed Melbourne picks 3 & 10 so we could get pick 6.
10 became 12 with academy picks and Charlie Curnow ended up going at 12. He'll be a star.
I'm beginning to believe Wallace when he said Clayton doesn't understand today's game.
And I wouldn't look too far into Evans saying Clayton is one of the best. He's doing everything possible to replace him with Wright

I think you have to look at Clayton's tenure as a whole rather one trade before we send him to the gallows , all list managers have howlers , even Wright last year sold the farm to get OÇockface , imagine if Clayton had done that last off season , he'd be strung and quartered just about now . Question does need to be asked about the set up though .

I think you have to look at Clayton's tenure as a whole rather one trade before we send him to the gallows , all list managers have howlers , even Wright last year sold the farm to get OÇockface , imagine if Clayton had done that last off season , he'd be strung and quartered just about now . Question does need to be asked about the set up though .
I am looking at his whole tenure. Garlett & Lonergan both first rounders.
2013 is regarded as a super draft & get Leslie at 20 just in front of Matt Crouch and Zach Merrett both will be A grade mids.
You can blame player development but Gorringe is still garbage elsewhere and Tape /Russell weren't picked up by anyone this year.
He's had a lot more misses than hits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back