No Oppo Supporters 2017 General AFL Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful solution to a problem that only exists in the minds of a handful of people.
I am totally against it.

You have to kick it cleanly through the goals, similarly to get a mark it can't be touched.

The problem exists with the score reviews not how goals can be kicked. It's like Cricket with the low catches, you can't always get an angle.

I would be a fan of removing score reviews. You get some good and some bad calls.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
he's like one of about 15 blokes in the entire league that don't seem like massive idiots tbh

I'm gonna bring shame to my family by backing Eddie on this one. The more simple the rulebook, the better for the game - last touch from the attacking team must be a kick - that's all you need.

I'm also against the deliberate out of bounds rule; it should either be a 'last-touch' rule or a throw-in every time - or maybe you could go 'last touch' between the 50 arcs, throw-in within them.

Any rules that take into account 'intent' need to go.

You'd end up with situations where players are trying to punch their team mates errant kicks through the goals and even if you outlawed blatantly punching the ball through the goals we'd be back to square one with the umpires or score review system having to adjudicate on whether or not it was merely deflected, or intentionally palmed through.

EDIT: Just realised you mentioned the last touch via the attacking team needs to be a kick. However it would still be creating another issue where the umpire or review system need to decide whether the last touch in a goal line contest came from the attacking or defending team.

Last edited:

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
You'd end up with situations where players are trying to punch their team mates errant kicks through the goals and even if you outlawed blatantly punching the ball through the goals we'd be back to square one with the umpires or score review system having to adjudicate on whether or not it was merely deflected, or intentionally palmed through.
Last touch from the scoring team needs to be off the boot. Simple.

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
EDIT: Just realised you mentioned the last touch via the attacking team needs to be a kick. However it would still be creating another issue where the umpire or review system need to decide whether the last touch in a goal line contest came from the attacking or defending team.

Would be much, much rarer, imo.

Regarding 'stop changing our great game' arguments above. The rules have been changed constantly for the 125 years it's existed. Like, the behind is a rule change, introduced to prevent ties (and it's a good one)

Mostly these changes have involved adding layers of complexity, making it harder to umpire and understand. A simpler set of rules that preserve the core features of the game (360 movement, goal kicking, marking, no throwing) is better.

Either allow blatant time wasting (deliberate out of bounds/rushed behinds), or disincentivise it completely (last touch, any kick through the goals is a goal). Either option would be an improvement.

Last edited:

TripleB

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/geelong-cats-pushing-for-home-final-20170523-gwbhnb.html
Geelong asking fro home finalwhen playing an interstate team.
Would this be a huge home ground advantage given their win record - losing only 6 of 53 games and the fact that Geelong trains on their own ground every day (compared to SCG, MCG and Adelaide grounds)?

If they earnt a home final, they deserve to play at Kardinia. Just because we have been screwed over by having to play at Fitzpatrick's ground the past 15 years doesn't mean Geelong shouldn't play true home finals.

Mind you, didn't help them last time when Freo got the choccies...

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
If they earnt a home final, they deserve to play at Kardinia. Just because we have been screwed over by having to play at Fitzpatrick's ground the past 15 years doesn't mean Geelong shouldn't play true home finals.

Mind you, didn't help them last time when Freo got the choccies...

I agree with that, sort of, but not against us. We have over 10,000 members in Victoria. We can't even get tickets to a H&A game down there.

TripleB

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree with that, sort of, but not against us. We have over 10,000 members in Victoria. We can't even get tickets to a H&A game down there.

Fortunately the finals are run by the AFL, not the clubs and supporters of both competing clubs get a head start to purchase tickets. In a final, I'm sure all Sydney members who wished to attend would be able to purchase a ticket...

Geelong were very safe re tickets required from opposing teams when Fremantle beat them.

Even so. Kardinia Park capacity nowhere near sufficient for supporters of both clubs in a final.
No ground in Australia offers sufficient capacity for supporters of any club in a final.

Unless youre thr bulldogs or saints, then you can hold it in my yard

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No ground in Australia offers sufficient capacity for supporters of any club in a final.

Unless youre thr bulldogs or saints, then you can hold it in my yard

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Finals (Not the GF) at the MCG with an interstate team are not always sold out.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

The VFL needs to get over their precious MCG IMO. I know it can fit 100k and it's the mecca of our sport and good for finals crowds etc

But truth be told the MCG has been a graveyard for crap games and even crapper sides the last few years. I mean, what an absolute waste that a ground of that size has hosted crap teams like Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton and Melbourne. There's just hardly any buzz in so many games there now days (at least that's what it seems like through the TV.) It's just too big for games that so often fizzle. the Crows v Swans game at AO last year, the Giants and Bulldogs PF at Spotless, the Adelaide v Bulldogs final at Etihad in 2015, that elimination final between Freo and Geelong at Skilled. All quality games, but more importantly, all had the kind of excitement the AFL only dreams about at MCG games. The AFL needs to start accommodating finals at legitimate home grounds, where there will be an actual atmosphere rather than a half-empty stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back