No Oppo Supporters 2017 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's a pretty incredible performance from GWS to be beating West Coast away from home with half their best 22 missing, plus other depth players

Tom Scully
Stephen Coniglio
Brett Deledio
Steve Johnson
Devon Smith
Ryan Griffen
Rory Lobb
Matt Buntine
Nick Haynes
Jacob Hopper
Adam Kennedy
Tendai Mzungu
Will Setterfield

That's a pretty incredible performance from GWS to be beating West Coast away from home with half their best 22 missing, plus other depth players

Tom Scully
Stephen Coniglio
Brett Deledio
Steve Johnson

Devon Smith
Ryan Griffen
Rory Lobb
Matt Buntine
Nick Haynes
Jacob Hopper
Adam Kennedy
Tendai Mzungu
Will Setterfield

Not sure bolded is best 22 especially 2 of those havent played a game yet, but GWS is not a normal side.

Not sure bolded is best 22 especially 2 of those havent played a game yet, but GWS is not a normal side.
Johnson has played every game for them when fit, Haynes plays every game for them when fit, Deledio is a walk-up to any team in the league.

Leave the bottom 2 out (which I described as "other depth players") and that's 11 players, literally half their team.

I've been saying they'll win the flag since last year (not really a bold statement though). Imagine them when they get their players back. Have fun everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?
I think you may be underestimating GWS' concessions/depth.
Their team today had 3 priority picks, 10 first rd picks (including 4 top two picks) and a 2 key uncontracted picks,

GWS today;

17yo priority picks;
Jeremy Cameron
Dylan Shiel
Nathan Wilson

1st rd draft picks (pick number);
Jonathan Patton (1)
Lachie Whitfield (1)
Josh Kelly (2)
Tim Taranto (2)
Adam Tomlinson (9)
Toby Greene (11)
Mathew Kennedy (13)
Aidan Corr (14)
Harry Perryman (14)
Harrison Himmelberg (16)

Uncontracted pick ups;
Phil Davis
Callan Ward
Tim Mohr (previously nominated category)

Others;
Heath Shaw (swap for Taylor Adams - orig pick 13)

Later rd picks;
Matt de Boer (pick 58 - orig rookie)
Daniel Lloyd (rookie)
Zac Williams (rookie)
Sam Reid (rookie - orig pick 35)

Trades;
Shane Mumford (pick 309) (oops, yep let's make that #39)

Last edited:
Sooner GWS will the flag the better, than the owners can withdraw their interfering finger out of threir manufactured results........

yeah probably not.....

I've been saying they'll win the flag since last year (not really a bold statement though). Imagine them when they get their players back. Have fun everyone.
They remind me of that u/15 junior league club that goes out and poaches all the best players from the league to win a flag. GWS have a B list that would compete for the 8.

Last edited:
But isn't that the point they can cope with the injuries because of the leg up. No doubt they are a good team but I don't know if I can say I admire them.
I guess admiration is a sign of respect. Respect is earned over time, sometimes a long time. Based on actions, attitude, image and reputation. And can be taken away in an instant.

GWS haven't been around long enough to have really stood on their own two feet yet. They act like smug pricks because they are actually the best talent from across Australia all pulled together by the AFL to win a premiership... I'd be smug about it too! But building a super-powerful team doesn't create respect.

Only once I can say that they have stood on their own two feet and are on an even playing field than the rest of us then I might start to admire them if they can pull through some tough times (e.g. keep all that talent together). Until then, I don't admire them for performing to a high level. I expect them to. I'd be surprised if they didn't based on the list and advantages they have been given.

When they play on a similar platform as us and most other clubs in the league and build their list based on their natural position on the ladder + trading/drafting strategies without unfair/significant AFL influence (I'm aware of the hypocrisy in indicating all AFL assistance is bad as I believe a COLA is a viable option for the AFL to even the competition in terms of COL and is something I wish they utilised across the competition based on an annualised inflation figure each year.... anyway....)

Good on them for coping with their injury list. It would unsettle any club. Even one so highly stacked with talent. But to say they should be admired for using the ridiculous amount of talent on the list to cover injuries isn't something I'd agree with either.

I still fail to see the point of the expansion into GWS

In NSW has it been worthwhile? will it be? forgetting the performance of the team which whatever you think about handouts has been good, but is the market actually there

I still fail to see the point of the expansion into GWS

In NSW has it been worthwhile? will it be? forgetting the performance of the team which whatever you think about handouts has been good, but is the market actually there

I don't think so. I can understand why the AFL couldn't ignore the potential money they could make if they cracked Western Sydney and found a place for the Giants. It's a HUGE marketplace and the regions and populations west of the CBD of Sydney are only going to expand further in the next few years. But I think they underestimated just how much work would be needed to attracts crowds of 25k each week to even watch a star-studded group like they have. I think at the end of the day they assumed that building a premiership side there would inevitably attract people from other sports to follow. But the media in NSW are so league-centric and the people are so league-centric that it was never going to be that easy. There are still days where you can flick through either Sydney paper and not find an AFL story in the sports pages while you'll see 4 or 5 full pages of league news.

Also the idea of Western Sydney is a really indefinite one. What one could consider to be Western Sydney is so up for debate it must be very hard to know exactly where you want to target and attract fans from as opposed to anywhere else. Strathfield is a 50km drive from Penrith (the same distance from Strathfield to Mooney Mooney) but both would regularly be lumped under the moniker of Western Sydney. And every region in that area is dominated by rugby league primarily and soccer secondarily. Try and find your place in there.

I feel sorry for the people in Tasmania and NT who would love nothing more in their sporting lives than to have an AFL team of their own to support. The AFL could make infrastructure and stadia work in each area if they really wanted to and they'd be servicing far, far, far more people than they are in Western Sydney currently. But the allure of that potential cash flow from GWS is too great for them to ignore, no matter how unlikely it is to materialise.

Last edited:
Ess3ndon offering $1.6m to Dusty according to Schwartz. Denied by them, of course.

Surely garbage. But either way, come season's end this Buddy contract so many are still stressing over will be a relative non issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back