19: Matt Dea
31: Michael Hartley
33: Andrew McGrath
36: James Stewart
37: Sam Draper
38: Josh Begley
41: Josh Green
42: Kobe Mutch
I think it would be weird if Laverde got an upgrade and Langford didn't, also can't remember the last time our first round pick got a later number than our later picks

I don't want McGrath to have No1. Apart from that I'm fine with any numbers.
I don't want him in it, because I really don't want to be reminded pick 1 pick 1 for his entire career, and I doubt he needs the reminder either seeing as every Tom, Dick and Harry is lining up to interview him and there's all the other pressure as well. The club is even auctioning off signed draft hats atm :huh: All that would probably happen regardless of what number he wore, though.

I also don't want to give it to someone else who might take it as an ego trip. He at least seems like the kind of person that wouldn't take it that way. But then if you don't put him in it you have to put him in some other number, which atm looks like one of those mid-teens numbers or some obscure higher number (which he could at least make his own, but Parish and Francis got 3 and 10, so...?)

Could give him 15 until Stants retires and then put him in 5 though, which I think would be fitting (he's been wearing 5 as a junior and I don't mind putting him in Hird's old number either. Whatever he has or hasn't done since, he was an absolute legend as a player).

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it would be weird if Laverde got an upgrade and Langford didn't, also can't remember the last time our first round pick got a later number than our later picks
Not sure why lower number equates to an upgrade necessarily, I understand it's been perceived that way but don't think it should be the hard n fast rule (I'd much rather 27 to 17 as an example). Anyway whoever gets #1 will have the challenge of being next to the alpha male that is Mr28goalsin2013 in the locker room so it needs to be carefully thought out

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure why lower number equates to an upgrade necessarily, I understand it's been perceived that way but don't think it should be the hard n fast rule (I'd much rather 27 to 17 as an example). Anyway whoever gets #1 will have the challenge of being next to the alpha male that is Mr28goalsin2013 in the locker room so it needs to be carefully thought out
If your a player surely you would prefer being 2 rather than 42, im sure I would. I mean certain numbers hold value for us like 5 and 18 but fair to say most players like the lower numbers

scanlon

Club Legend
Oct 27, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
McGrath is 1, other 4 new recruits in ND will take 14, 16, 19 and 37. #insidesauce
Even the club knows 17 is tainted

Hoping to see Kobe Mutch in the 16 or 37. Wore 16 for Bendigo this year and reckon 37 would suit him
Ridley in the 16
Begley in 19
Clarke in 37 or 14

WEEVZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
There is no pressure associated with number one? The club picked him saying they know he could handle being pick one, but people think somehow wearing a number might break him? Just lol
In the end the number on the guernsey is just that, a number. Yeah it's a bit goofy wearing the same guernsey number as your draft position but in the end who really cares, it makes absolutely no difference.

Conor Mckenna

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone thinking the pressure of wearing number 1 for Maca is too much on top of being pick 1 take a breath...He needs to be near Parish and the likes of Jobe stants, Jd etc around the lockers..a lot to be learned from those guys..Plus he tends to take off on dashes ala Former legends in the number 1 Mark Johnson and Merv Neagle...
I Would also like to see Green in 15 and turn it on like Bluey The lizard Ezard...Critics of Green should compare his stats to Ezards...he can snag a goal or three..
Laverde and Langford suit their current numbers for me..
Not too sure about the rest but pretty sure that they will end making their own names in footy whatever number they carry...Keep 31 on ice for inspector gadgets midget..

Back