Strategy 2017 Hawthorn Supercoach, Fantasy Footy Questions In Here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Great 2008

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi 2017 Supercoach/Fantasy Footy Fans!

During our glorious era (long may it continue) Supercoach (my preference) has produced relatively slim pickings as far as Hawthorn player selections go. The team first mentality as well as the demand for versatility and 'playing your role' has meant Hawthorn players have not figured greatly in SC/Fantasy teams for some years now. Even the great Sam Mitchell was picked with trepidation as he was tagged, played across half back or sacrificed for the greater good.

Is 2017 the first time in ages that Hawthorn have players that are SC/Fantasy relevant? I think so.

Lets dangle some bait……..

Tom Mitchell

Mitchell MK2 arrived at the club with little fanfare due to the O'Meara saga consuming the trade period. The trade with Sydney was done early, with minimum fuss. Tom has not missed a beat during the pre-season and reportedly performed like a bull in a recent tackling drill. He is an interesting price ($565k) Players in his range include Luke Shuey, Sam Mitchell, Callan Ward, Stephen Congilio, Nat Fyfe, Bontempelli, Cripps, Sidebottom, Robbie Gray and Dustin Martin (stiff competition for a spot no doubt). Will he be the no.1 contested man at Hawthorn capable of hitting the scoreboard as well? Has he already reached his ceiling? (I think not). Mitchell is a tantalising prospect and could become a super premo. If the rumour of a hip injury at Sydney last year is true (now recovered) he could be one of the picks of the season.

Jaeger O'Meara

Unlikely to play till Round 4 do not consider.:straining::straining::straining::straining::straining:

No I can not lie. Doing most of the drills. Priced awkwardly ($318k) but who is not, in SC , unless you are a pre-season rookie bolter. My tip is he will play Round 1 and feature in 60+% of SC Teams.

Ryan Burton

Has taken over from Spangher and Stratton before him, as the revered one. Recovering from a terrible leg injury and not expected to even get on the park last year he exceed all expectation and made the best 22 performing with promise and poise. WOW. His price of $254K will rule him out for a lot of Coaches with cheaper rookies available. He is in my team for now. An exciting prospect and I expect Clarko will pump games into him.

Cyril Rioli

According to training reports, he is having his best pre-season ever. Coming off a second consecutive All-Australian year and arguably the best season of his illustrious career, Cyril Rioli has had a pre-season which would suggest the best is still yet to come. He was voted in the Top 10 training improvers by Andrew Russell. Scary. Cyril has averaged 90+ in 6 of his 9 seasons and the last 3 consecutively. Given the lack of premium forwards this year, if he improves his average even marginally he will be a canny selection. Durability is no longer an issue (touch wood).

Jack Gunston

Also voted in the top 10 training improvers by Andrew Russell. Is in great nick. Was rumoured to have played injured last season and still averaged 90+ in a season that for him, received mixed reviews. Gunner played as a key forward at times, which he is not. The new Hawthorn Captain and a maligned ruck/fwd will take enormous pressure off Jack and I expect his versatility will shine through. Also rumoured to be spending time on a wing which will see his contested marking stats go off. Tipping Jack to be a great POD this year.

Roughy

Did a few rounds with the Big C and the champ is back. The Hawks missing him badly in 2016 is an understatement. Watch everyone (particularly the forward line) improve around him. His price is hard to ignore (367k) and he will be a popular selection this season. Has averaged 100 in 2 of his last 5 seasons and has come awfully close in the other 3. No brainer selection. Even if he has a rest during the year and ends up as your F6 selection you will be travelling just fine. Welcome back Rough and good luck.

IMO the above are the Top 6 selections as far as Hawk players go. As the pre-season progresses feel free to post your questions in here. Good Luck in 2017!

Last edited:
Hi 2017 Supercoach/Fantasy Footy Fans!

During our glorious era (long may it continue) Supercoach (my preference) has produced relatively slim pickings as far as Hawthorn player selections go. The team first mentality as well as the demand for versatility and 'playing your role' has meant Hawthorn players have not figured greatly in SC/Fantasy teams for some years now. Even the great Sam Mitchell was picked with trepidation as he was tagged, played across half back or sacrificed for the greater good.

Is 2017 the first time in ages that Hawthorn have players that are SC/Fantasy relevant? I think so.

Lets dangle some bait……..

Tom Mitchell

Mitchell MK2 arrived at the club with little fanfare due to the O'Meara saga consuming the trade period. The trade with Sydney was done early, with minimum fuss. Tom has not missed a beat during the pre-season and reportedly performed like a bull in a recent tackling drill. He is an interesting price ($565k) Players in his range include Luke Shuey, Sam Mitchell, Callan Ward, Stephen Congilio, Nat Fyfe, Bontempelli, Cripps, Sidebottom, Robbie Gray and Dustin Martin (stiff competition for a spot no doubt). Will he be the no.1 contested man at Hawthorn capable of hitting the scoreboard as well? Has he already reached his ceiling? (I think not). Mitchell is a tantalising prospect and could become a super premo. If the rumour of a hip injury at Sydney last year is true (now recovered) he could be one of the picks of the season.

Jaeger O'Meara

Unlikely to play till Round 4 do not consider.:straining::straining::straining::straining::straining:

No I can not lie. Doing most of the drills. Priced awkwardly ($318k) but who is not, in SC , unless you are a pre-season rookie bolter. My tip is he will play Round 1 and feature in 60+% of SC Teams.

Ryan Burton

Has taken over from Spangher and Stratton before him, as the revered one. Recovering from a terrible leg injury and not expected to even get on the park last year he exceed all expectation and made the best 22 performing with promise and poise. WOW. His price of $254K will rule him out for a lot of Coaches with cheaper rookies are available. He is in my team for now. An exciting prospect and I expect Clarko will pump games into him.

Cyril Rioli

According to training reports, he is having his best pre-season ever. Coming off a second consecutive All-Australian year and arguably the best season of his illustrious career, Cyril Rioli has had a pre-season which would suggest the best is still yet to come. He was voted in the Top 10 training improvers by Andrew Russell. Scary. Cyril has averaged 90+ in 6 of his 9 seasons and the last 3 consecutively. Given the lack of premium forwards this year, if he improves his average even marginally he will be a canny selection. Durability is no longer an issue (touch wood).

Jack Gunston

Also voted in the top 10 training improvers by Andrew Russell. Is in great nick. Was rumoured to have played injured last season and still averaged 90+ in a season that for him, received mixed reviews. Gunner played as a key forward at times, which he is not. The new Hawthorn Captain and a maligned ruck/fwd will take enormous pressure off Jack and I expect his versatility will shine through. Also rumoured to be spending time on a wing which will see his contested marking stats go off. Tipping Jack to be a great POD this year.

Roughy

Did a few rounds with the Big C and the champ is back. The Hawks missing him badly in 2016 is an understatement. Watch everyone (particularly the forward line) improve around him. His price is hard to ignore (367k) and he will be a popular selection this season. Has averaged 100 in 2 of his last 5 seasons and has come awfully close in the other 3. No brainer selection. Even if he has a rest during the year and ends up as your F6 selection you will be travelling just fine. Welcome back Rough and good luck.

IMO the above are the Top 6 selections as far as Hawk players go. As the pre-season progresses feel free to post your questions in here. Good Luck in 2017!

Was told barring major set back JOM will be playing round 1.. I trust the source immensely

I play SC only, and Roughy is the only Hawk I've got at the moment. Great price for a proven gun.

Jaeger is the other one I would consider, wait and see if he does play round 1. If he's named, I'll take him.

Trying to keep a lid on him tige19. Not much hope of that if he plays round 1 though.

Haha to true mate, I thought I would just reassure you. I am pretty certain he will line up round 1 as long as something doesn't pop up unexpectedly, he has been in full match simulation now for a few weeks and with a few months to go you'd hope it'll be from strength to strength now :)

Hey guys,

what are the prospects of Lovell this year in RDT esp. priced as premium rookie just over 200k my gut is that his JS probably isn't there to warrant the section and hopefully cheaper options present but how do you guys see his chances of playing rd1 if he has a good JLT series, JS if selected and likely role and scoring output?

cheers!

Hey guys,

what are the prospects of Lovell this year in RDT esp. priced as premium rookie just over 200k my gut is that his JS probably isn't there to warrant the section and hopefully cheaper options present but how do you guys see his chances of playing rd1 if he has a good JLT series, JS if selected and likely role and scoring output?

cheers!

Lovell seems to have stripped off some puppy fat this pre-season and looks fit. I think you have correctly assumed that job security might be an issue. I think the JLT will be the best gauge. He may surprise this year. Contested ball was an issue for the Hawks last year imo and that was what he was recruited for. The fact he is $230k is an issue but this is countered a little by the fact he is MID/FWD dual position.

Hey guys,

cheers!
he's an alright option in AFL Fantasy as he's just 195K and in Fantasy the cheapest rookies are 150K. Worth the punt in AFL Fantasy but not for Supercoach. He's in my AFL Fantasy team as a mid. He's also got dual-position(Fwd/Mid).

he's an alright option in AFL Fantasy as he's just 195K and in Fantasy the cheapest rookies are 150K. Worth the punt in AFL Fantasy but not for Supercoach. He's in my AFL Fantasy team as a mid. He's also got dual-position(Fwd/Mid).
cheers, at the moment I'm thinking same as str as AF given the higher priced rookies and if he's picked will prob be in but RDT which is my main focus probably more the same thinking as you for SC that at 200k there will probably be options that are just as good around 130-150k. If his JS was rock solid then maybe but doesnt appear that way

Is roughy guaranteed to pick up where he left off? His fitness has taken a slight hit and I'm not sure if he can get back to his peak. Everyone has him but I feel like he will average around 80-85 before returning to his best next year. Thoughts?

Is roughy guaranteed to pick up where he left off? His fitness has taken a slight hit and I'm not sure if he can get back to his peak. Everyone has him but I feel like he will average around 80-85 before returning to his best next year. Thoughts?

He will be in a lot of sides. The fact he is the new Captain would indicate he is travelling ok imo. Very vocal at training and taking clean grabs. I think the reverse will be true. He will make up for lost time!

This post about a recent training session suggests he's fully fit and ready to go.
Rough was another I wanted to check out. Gee wiz, you wouldn't think he missed a whole year with the condition he had. Was barking orders, taking big grabs, leading the pack running laps. Looks really hungry and ready to get back out.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...hursday-2nd-february-post-906.1155788/page-37

I would put him in. He's a gun and even if he averages 85 then it still will be scoring above his price suggests. a bargain. i've locked him in. Keep an eye on that thread as more information about how Roughy is going may be posted on there. I reckon he'll average about 95.
Make it as you want but by all reports he's tracking very well and seems unaffected or if so, not much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you guys think of Hodge's scoring potential this year. i've put him in expecting consistent scores from 90-100 with the occasional 110-120 score

Worried about old man factor but he does look fit. Probably will not.

This post about a recent training session suggests he's fully fit and ready to go.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...hursday-2nd-february-post-906.1155788/page-37

I would put him in. He's a gun and even if he averages 85 then it still will be scoring above his price suggests. a bargain. i've locked him in. Keep an eye on that thread as more information about how Roughy is going may be posted on there. I reckon he'll average about 95.
Make it as you want but by all reports he's tracking very well and seems unaffected or if so, not much
Cheers personally hope Roughy kicks 70 this year just to make the Coleman more interesting than recent years, great bloke. Wouldn't mind him having donuts vs the Dee's tho :p

Even more midfield time for Burgoyne than last year? Or is Hodge/Mitchell gonna take it all?
Also is Burgoyne likely to be rested this year? He seems to be quite durable in recent years.

Given the departure of Mitchel and Lewis, do you see Isaac Smith taking on more of the mid field load ?
I don't think so. He's a winger. with Hill out he'll be staying on the wing.
Even more midfield time for Burgoyne than last year? Or is Hodge/Mitchell gonna take it all?
Also is Burgoyne likely to be rested this year? He seems to be quite durable in recent years.
Nah Burgoyne will just come into the midfield when required like last year.

JOM & T Mitch will pretty much replace S Mitch & Lewis' time in the middle

any middle time left over I think we'll be looking at getting time into guys like:
O'Rourke
Howe
Lovell
Langford
...If we can.

Burgoyne is very durable *touch wood* and should at least play 20 games.

Hi guys,

how are the following lads travelling in pre-season:

Duryea (Like this lad but can never seem to get consistency into his game - last season he didnt look fit)
Howe (I must say I havent seen him play much but seems like he could be a gd RDT candidate)
Heatherly
O'Rourke (is he best 22? will he play predominately midfield if he is best 22? hows his pre-season?)
HArdwick (Loved this bloke in last years pre-season comp)

Cheers.

Hi guys,

how are the following lads travelling in pre-season:

Duryea (Like this lad but can never seem to get consistency into his game - last season he didnt look fit)
Howe (I must say I havent seen him play much but seems like he could be a gd RDT candidate)
Heatherly
O'Rourke (is he best 22? will he play predominately midfield if he is best 22? hows his pre-season?)
HArdwick (Loved this bloke in last years pre-season comp)

Cheers.
Doc has been tracking very nicely this pre-season aswell as O'Rourke.
Howe. May break into the side. no gaurantees. Hawks will be wanting to get game time into him though. He'll play through the middle and at half-back
Heatherley. Will play a some games. Wouldn't be banking on him to play more than half of the games.
Hardwick. Don't really know. Kade Stewart may have surpassed him. not sure how he'll fit into the scheme of things.

Hey guys im back here with a few more questions.

1. Is roughhead likely to get rested a couple of games this year?
2. How does Roughhead being in the team affect Gunston's role, will he play in the style of N Riewoldt who is almost an exclusive winger nowadays or like Franklin who is a high half-forward but still has scoreboard impact as his primary focus?
3. Is Roughhead going to play in the midfield at times like he did years ago or are you guys just content with him playing CHF for the entire game and Gunston on a wing?

Thanks alot

Hey guys im back here with a few more questions.

1. Is roughhead likely to get rested a couple of games this year?
2. How does Roughhead being in the team affect Gunston's role, will he play in the style of N Riewoldt who is almost an exclusive winger nowadays or like Franklin who is a high half-forward but still has scoreboard impact as his primary focus?
3. Is Roughhead going to play in the midfield at times like he did years ago or are you guys just content with him playing CHF for the entire game and Gunston on a wing?

Thanks alot
1. Don't think so. as far as i know he's very fit.
2. Apparently Gunston has been training on the wing a bit more this year than previous years. will probably spend some time there. Still think at the end of the day he's there to kick goals.
3. I'd say Roughead will play short stints the midfield like previously.
Watch these video's/articles about the Hawks intra-club match
Roughead Highlights:
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2017-02-08/iso-vision-roughead-intraclub

General Highlights
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2017-02-08/intraclub-highlights

Intra-Club - Match Report
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2017-02-09/match-report-a-winwin-for-hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back