Resource 2017 Home attendances vs. travelling opposition

Remove this Banner Ad

upload_2017-6-25_22-3-13.png

This is a summary of crowds for all Melbourne teams against interstate sides since 2000 at the MCG and Docklands

There are obviously many variables which influence these numbers. For instance:

• The MCG consistently draws larger crowds than Docklands for comparable games, so predominate MCG teams such as Collingwood, Melbourne, Hawthorn and Richmond are advantaged.
  • Hawthorn and North Melbourne, especially, have commonly played lower drawing interstate teams in Tasmania etc which has probably slightly inflated their numbers. I suspect that a small pool of games for Melbourne members to attend also slightly inflates crowd numbers.
  • Team success is an an important factor influencing crowd numbers. Hawthorn and Collingwood's numbers are inflated by favourable W/L records of 59% and 56% respectively. Conversely, Melbourne, Carlton, and Richmond have only won around 40% of matches, which has negatively affected their crowd numbers.
This is the 18th season of data, so we have a good sample size. I don't think there's anything too surprising here.

I will add, North have won about half their matches in this period. I hazard a guess that if they only won 37% like Melbourne, they may not still be existing as a club.

Got to take in variables like fixturing - day/time, whch interstate sides have they played - ie I'd hazard a guess that sydney, adelaide and west coast contribute to higher attendances bc of
1. How long theyve been around and
2. Expat supporters

I dont put Brisbane in(Fitzroy factor) bc of how woefully bad theyve been for an extended period which would affect attendances

View attachment 385637

This is a summary of crowds for all Melbourne teams against interstate sides since 2000 at the MCG and Docklands

There are obviously many variables which influence these numbers. For instance:

• The MCG consistently draws larger crowds than Docklands for comparable games, so predominate MCG teams such as Collingwood, Melbourne, Hawthorn and Richmond are advantaged.
  • Hawthorn and North Melbourne, especially, have commonly played lower drawing interstate teams in Tasmania etc which has probably slightly inflated their numbers. I suspect that a small pool of games for Melbourne members to attend also slightly inflates crowd numbers.
  • Team success is an an important factor influencing crowd numbers. Hawthorn and Collingwood's numbers are inflated by favourable W/L records of 59% and 56% respectively. Conversely, Melbourne, Carlton, and Richmond have only won around 40% of matches, which has negatively affected their crowd numbers.
This is the 18th season of data, so we have a good sample size. I don't think there's anything too surprising here.

I will add, North have won about half their matches in this period. I hazard a guess that if they only won 37% like Melbourne, they may not still be existing as a club.

The graph attached puts some context on the Pies crowd v the Eagles on the weekend.

I think it's a fair comparison to make, a real interesting stat would be the percentage drop between total home game attendance figures when compared to home games against interstate opposition to see the fair weather, theatre goer fan factor.

No necessarily true. A frequently successful Vic club will have developed rivalries with certain inter state clubs whereas a frequently unsuccessful one won't have done so.

EG Richmond ( my team ) have recently developed something of rivalry with Freo but previous to our return to finals a few years ago I can't remember any kind of rivalry at all with an interstater...in those circumstances a Vic fan will turn up once or twice a year against local rivals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back