Injury 2017 - Injury List

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that I've had my hopes up, but it was still very sad to hear Ross say that Harley is still on personal leave and Harley was "devastated" by his most recent calf injury and results. I think the word "devastated" tells us that Harley's calves maybe shot and sadly we need to respect that he may never play AFL again.

Freo need to at least change the injury update for Harley to be TBA instead of still showing 6-8 weeks. Take the pressure off and stop giving everybody false hope. Write off 2017 and just give time a chance to heal his calves (if at all possible).
I'm no sports scientist, but I can see from history that every time they up Harley's training, it's too much, too soon for his legs. The current and probably the normal calf rehabilitation processes just aren't working.
The focus has to change from how soon can we see Harley out there, to can we get his calves strong enough for him to play a little football in a forward pocket sometime in the next couple of years.

Not that I've had my hopes up, but it was still very sad to hear Ross say that Harley is still on personal leave and Harley was "devastated" by his most recent calf injury and results. I think the word "devastated" tells us that Harley's calves maybe shot and sadly we need to respect that he may never play AFL again.

Freo need to at least change the injury update for Harley to be TBA instead of still showing 6-8 weeks. Take the pressure off and stop giving everybody false hope. Write off 2017 and just give time a chance to heal his calves (if at all possible).
I'm no sports scientist, but I can see from history that every time they up Harley's training, it's too much, too soon for his legs. The current and probably the normal calf rehabilitation processes just aren't working.
The focus has to change from how soon can we see Harley out there, to can we get his calves strong enough for him to play a little football in a forward pocket sometime in the next couple of years.
I think they are making progress putting 6-8 and on personal leave rather than TBA and pushing him on with some rehab training .

I think the devastation comes from how close he was to returning, coupled with how much he's missed already

I think the devastation comes from how close he was to returning, coupled with how much he's missed already
But if my memory serves me correctly, in late March he was only 4 weeks away from returning. People were throwing around Round 6 debut dates.
It was then reported he went for scans but no setback.
It was then reported he had more tightness at training and another scan revealed more damage and a possible setback of a couple of weeks.
The injury dates now being reported are 6-8 weeks from now. Even if it is an 8 week setback, why would Bennell be given extended personal leave instead of just getting back in to Rehab.
Bennell is devastated because it is not just a simple 6-8 week calf injury setback. They haven't fixed the underlying root cause of these calf injuries and the problem is not going to be fixed in 8 weeks time.

Last edited:
But if my memory serves me correctly, in late March he was only 4 weeks away from returning. People were throwing around Round 6 debut dates.
It was then reported he went to hospital for scans but no setback.
It was then reported he had more tightness at training and another scan revealed more damage and a possible setback of a couple of weeks.
The injury dates now being reported are 6-8 weeks from now. Even if it is an 8 week setback, why would Bennell be given extended personal leave instead of just getting back in to Rehab.
Bennell is devastated because it is not just a simple 6-8 week calf injury setback. They haven't fixed the underlying root cause of these calf injuries and the problem is not going to be fixed in 8 weeks time.
He was in full training, the return date would have felt far closer than it was

INJURY LIST - UPDATED TUESDAY 2 MAY, 2017
  • Michael Apeness (Knee) test [down from 1-2 weeks]
  • Josh Deluca (Groin) 2 weeks [down from 3 weeks]
  • Stephen Hill (Hamstring) 2-3 weeks [down from 3-4 weeks]
  • Hayden Ballantyne (Hamstring) 2-4 weeks [down from 3-5 weeks]
  • Harley Bennell (Calf) 6-8 weeks [down from 9 weeks]
  • Zac Clarke (Knee) TBA [no change]
  • Alex Pearce (Leg) TBA [no change]
  • Matthew Uebergang (Hamstring) TBA [no change]
NO LONGER LISTED
  • Brennan Cox
  • Harley Balic
  • Luke Ryan
so Apeness is a test.... do we let him play vs the bombers this week or give him a game at peel?

Geez I'd like to see Alex Pearce make some progress with his injury. Would love to see him tried in this new Ruck/KPD role. He is just so agile for a bloke of 200cm. * our bad luck with injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's happening with Clarke? I know he had surgery on his knee during the off season but were there complications? I feel like we've heard no updates about him for ages.

We have to do something with Walters to get him out of his funk, so I like the idea of him played as a mid. Bring it on.
But he isn't really quick, I assume that is just lazy journalism equating all small forwards with lightning speed. Smart - yep. Skillful - yep. Fast- no.

Mids needs to stop putting the foot on his head. Walters does his best work crumbing the big forwards.

Mids needs to stop putting the foot on his head. Walters does his best work crumbing the big forwards.
Maybe put Walters in mid to show the mid how it is done .

Apeness doesn't seem to have any strapping on either knee in today's training photos
18320806_10154825735564317_6114296811646436143_o.jpg

looks like he copped a knock to the shin
18359431_10154825733914317_876018328995381917_o.jpg

Apeness doesn't seem to have any strapping on either knee in today's training photos
18320806_10154825735564317_6114296811646436143_o.jpg

looks like he copped a knock to the shin
18359431_10154825733914317_876018328995381917_o.jpg
Great news , smiling that mean nothing to worry about.

To be fair they were having a trick shot competition/session before training, check freodockersnaps if you want to see, may mean more strapping was going on afterwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back