Injury 2017 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I seem to recall people here saying we were too unfit and slow under Poulos?

The only year I can recall our fitness program gett8ng praise was last year.

Brett "Jobs for Boys" Burton was in charge.

Now he has been promoted with less time spent preparing players and we have a spate of Hamstring issues

Yet people are blaming Burton?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I am staggered so many liked this post given its inaccuracies.

Tex, Talia & Knight are three guys who would have done everything asked of them in the offseason and more, they are probably the 3 hardest workers at the club next to Sloane. Tex and Talia were back training with the 1-4 year players as was Brouch. It wouldn't surprise me that Brouch and Lever were trying to do extra work to give this season a red-hot crack. So it's probably not a coincidence that these are the guys who have had the Hammys. I thought the McGovern brothers were notorious for not liking training so I have no idea if Mitch also would have tried to have an extra big preseason but with his contract up and him at the perfect age to have a breakout season it wouldn't surprise me.

If you plan on pushing the whole group to the edge, it's going to be the guys who want to do more work than everyone else who have the issues and I think that's what we are seeing.

No doubt, especially after such a key player as DT going down, someone at the club has pulled on the reigns. Muscles take a month or two to adapt to change though. We'll probably have a couple more but hopefully the change has been timely and will take effect before finals.

In the meantime we get a look at some talent lying beneath the surface. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Good sides can cope with challenges to their depth. I feel like we are finally a side like that. Did I mention my love for Pyke?

Tex, Talia & Knight are three guys who would have done everything asked of them in the offseason and more, they are probably the 3 hardest workers at the club next to Sloane. Tex and Talia were back training with the 1-4 year players as was Brouch. It wouldn't surprise me that Brouch and Lever were trying to do extra work to give this season a red-hot crack. So it's probably not a coincidence that these are the guys who have had the Hammys. I thought the McGovern brothers were notorious for not liking training so I have no idea if Mitch also would have tried to have an extra big preseason but with his contract up and him at the perfect age to have a breakout season it wouldn't surprise me.

If you plan on pushing the whole group to the edge, it's going to be the guys who want to do more work than everyone else who have the issues and I think that's what we are seeing.

Initially I thought the injuries were just bad luck, but the fact it's a regular occurrence it needs to be investigated

It could be over training the type of training or maybe the warm up routine the players are doing, it will be tough to pin point where they are going wrong but it needs to be sorted

Nice theory, a bizarre one but a nice one.

You have no idea internally who works harder.

What about Keath, Cheney? They worked harder too?

Fair dinkum you come up with some bizarre s**t.

Just putting it out there - is it a trend if they are different?

Talia 1 minute in is quite distinct to Gov and Knight going down with a few minutes to go where fatigue is a major factor.

We don't know the scenarios for the boys who went down at training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No doubt, especially after such a key player as DT going down, someone at the club has pulled on the reigns. Muscles take a month or two to adapt to change though. We'll probably have a couple more but hopefully the change has been timely and will take effect before finals.

In the meantime we get a look at some talent lying beneath the surface. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Good sides can cope with challenges to their depth. I feel like we are finally a side like that. Did I mention my love for Pyke?
Sloaneys pre season injury may be a blessing in disguise. Missed a chunk of training.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have read so many opinions and thoughts around this....some quite bizarre. I have no opinions on why it is occurring although it definitely looks training specific at this point in time, I just expect the club not to put its head in the sand on this one. I am confident they won't.

Your memory seems selective.

Polous was criticised under Sando which we later found out was Sando wanting them bulked up to play contested ball.

Then under Walsh this changed and our fitness improved. Burton just hasn't come up in one preseason to give us elite fitness and injury prevention, that's a build up over years.

Now we are into our second year with Burton regime, I say Burton because his fingerprints would be all over our program.

It's a bit like the VB and Mackay excuses of the past. Poulos was magnificent, it was Sando's fault. Walsh turns up and Poulos gets the praise for improvement. He was never all that good and I'd suggest that Walsh identified this and his card was marked. Walsh was reported to be hands on in the fitness dept.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back