Aliir (toe) JLT 3
Dawson (calf) JLT 3
Heeney (illness) JLT3
Johnson (knee) indefinite
McVeigh (calf/manage) AFL Rd 2
Papley (knee/shin) AFL Rd 2
Rohan (back/hamstring) AFL Rd 4
Rose (hip) JLT 3

"Jarrad McVeigh is in doubt for the start of season 2017 after injuring his calf at training.
The injury will sideline McVeigh for 3-4 weeks, meaning it’s uncertain if he’ll play in Round 1."

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-03-01/mcveigh-in-doubt-for-season-opener

So injury list
Injury List

Aliir (toe) JLT 3
Dawson (calf) JLT 3
Heeney (illness) JLT3
Johnson (knee) indefinite
McVeigh (calf/manage) AFL Rd 2
Papley (knee/shin) AFL Rd 2
Rohan (back/hamstring) AFL Rd 4
Rose (hip) JLT 3

"Jarrad McVeigh is in doubt for the start of season 2017 after injuring his calf at training.
The injury will sideline McVeigh for 3-4 weeks, meaning it’s uncertain if he’ll play in Round 1."

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-03-01/mcveigh-in-doubt-for-season-opener
I really hate to say this because i really like McVeigh, but if his calf has gone again that could be him done, so hard at that age to miss a chunk of pre season and come back. I hope I'm wrong because if fully fit he still offers us something.

Back on topic. Looking forward to seeing Hayward play.

McVeigh was done by the end of 2015!
That's what was said about Goodes, Shaw, Grundy & Richards at various times towards the end of their careers. If Macca can get through current injuries and stay in good nick he might still surprise this year. I don't go along with talk of McVeigh being selfish. The guy would always put club first. If he's too old for it I expect he'll do the right thing and tap himself on the shoulder (Unless he's really waaayyy too old, then he'll probably turn around and ask "Who was that ?")

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing we can do about it. It good have been a bad injury that would have kept him out, just be thankful it's not. It gives someone else a chance, we are ok.

I don't know what's worse to be honest bedford - look at the likes of Alec Waterman from WCE. Given he isn't the same calibre of player that Heeney is but Glandular Fever killed his career. Never came back from it.

Fingers crossed Heeney is ok.

Source:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-07/star-swan-isaac-heeney-struck-down-with-glandular-fever

Very unfortunate news, but I'm pretty sure Heath Grundy and Kieren Jack have had glandular fever before, you can get through it. But as H2F said it's not a short process.

EDIT: Grundy actually played with glandular fever when we beat the Cats in Geelong in 2011 and didn't realise he had it until after round 22 and as a result he didn't play in the finals - but he says here that he would have played if we had progressed past the second week!

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2012-01-28/grundys-sickness-scare

Last edited:
Its not a short process at all will be lucky to play again this season very unfortunate hoping he gets no ill effects such as weight loss or chronic fatigue.

Completely robs you of any energy, Hoping for a short term recovery is still ~ 6months

No it's not. Acute symptoms (including spleen enlargement, which prevents contact work) for most people resolve within 4-6 weeks, and most people are back to normal activities after 2-3 months.

Recovery taking 6 months or longer is certainly possible, but it's a bad outcome, not the expected one.

I'd suggest we all calm the farm on this one, and hope for the best. Isaac won't play the first few rounds, unfortunately, but in all probability he will play the vast majority of the season.

Last edited:
2-4 week illness at best but then will need time to get fit again.

Wow, lot of doom and gloom here.

Glandular fever can be really quick or really long. Some people get the lingering fatigue for months, but you could be up and back to normal after 2-3 weeks as well.

Let's all just hope for the best and leave it up to the doctors to tell us how he's tracking, and not write off his season just yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back