2017 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting from John Ralph and then confirmed by Leon on AFL tonight. Complete forensic study of all injuries, from the surface, to the boots they wear, to how players plant their feet at the stoppages etc. in trying to figure out why we're getting all these injuries - 95% dumb luck and 5% things to improve.

Also. Cogs to play footy next week :) probably NEAFL but who cares. He's almost there.

Also Lids has been running with the team last week, will do so next week and probably play a NEAFL game the round after Richmond:)

Interesting from John Ralph and then confirmed by Leon on AFL tonight. Complete forensic study of all injuries, from the surface, to the boots they wear, to how players plant their feet at the stoppages etc. in trying to figure out why we're getting all these injuries - 95% dumb luck and 5% things to improve.

Also. Cogs to play footy next week :) probably NEAFL but who cares. He's almost there.

Also Lids has been running with the team last week, will do so next week and probably play a NEAFL game the round after Richmond:)

I think from the outside the fact they do a lot of work at Spotless has not helped. The surface there looks shithouse and has been particularly bad since Easter when it got smashed.

Injuries seem to go in cycles. I think we had a pretty good run last year but this year has been catastrophic.

I get Cogs is gonna have to play some NEAFL after playing so little this year. I'm wondering if he might be coming into the 1's sooner rather than later though. My reasoning is that even if we take a hit for a week or two while he runs up to speed the seasons end is aporoaching and he needs to get match hardened quickly. I get fhe risk of carrying a player whose TOG might be less and carefully managed, particularly we get in game injuries but even so.

How cool is this to see:):):)

Deledio to Play in NEAFL

GIANTS forward Brett Deledio is set to take the next step in his return to the AFL, making his GIANTS debut in the NEAFL on Saturday.

The 30-year-old, who joined the GIANTS from Richmond during the 2016 AFL Trade Period, will line up against Sydney University at Blacktown International SportsPark.

GIANTS coach Leon Cameron confirmed Deleido will play while speaking to Mark Robinson and Gerard Whateley on Fox Footy’s AFL 360 on Thursday night.

“We were probably thinking he'd play next week but he's trained really well this week," Cameron said.

"He'll probably play 50 to 60 percent in the NEAFL on the weekend, it's great for Brett and great for the club as we know what he's been through.

"He does need to play footy to get footy fit, it might be a couple of weeks of NEAFL before we look to put bring him into the AFL.

"Touch wood he gets through unscathed this weekend, he needs another game next week and then hopefully he'll be knocking on the door after that."

The GIANTS Reserves play Sydney University at Blacktown International SportsPark on Saturday July 22 at 2.00pm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/sites/GWSGiants/news/2017-07-25/injury-report-star-duo-set-for-test

Star duo Jeremy Cameron and Dylan Shiel are set to face fitness tests later in the week but both are expected to line up against Fremantle at Spotless Stadium on Saturday.

Cameron has missed the last two games with a hamstring complaint while Shiel suffered a shoulder injury late in last week’s loss to Richmond.

Shiel has been cleared of any serious damage and will take part in the team’s main training session on Wednesday.

Veteran Steve Johnson will also be assessed after his persistent knee soreness returned following Sunday’s match.

Midfielder Jacob Hopper (ankle) and defender Tim Mohr (calf) are both available for selection after an extended stint on the sidelines, with the duo likely to make their return via the NEAFL.

In more good news for the GIANTS, Brett Deledio has been removed from the club’s injury list for the first time this season following a successful NEAFL debut in which he collected 17 disposals in a half of football.

Injury List – July 25

Dylan Shiel Shoulder Test
Jeremy Cameron Hamstring Test
Sam Reid Ankle Test
Steve Johnson Knee Test

Jeremy Finlayson Knee 4 weeks
Ryan Griffen Ankle 4 weeks
Tim Taranto Ankle 5-7 weeks

Matt Buntine Knee Season
Adam Kennedy Knee Season

Encouraging news all round. No serious injury for Shiel. Hopper making his return. The fact that Jezza has been listed as a test for two weeks is a bit of a worry though.

No mention if Himmelburg at all. Is that just because he played last week and therefire not televant to the injury update? There is an understandabke tendency for players who drop down the pecking order to just not get mentioned. This worries me a little. I get him as a possibility for Toby, Sam Reid or Daniel Loyd the ither possibilities.

No mention if Himmelburg at all. Is that just because he played last week and therefire not televant to the injury update? There is an understandabke tendency for players who drop down the pecking order to just not get mentioned. This worries me a little. I get him as a possibility for Toby, Sam Reid or Daniel Loyd the ither possibilities.
Think Lids getting a mention was just a special case. Cogs not mentioned in the injury report either so same boat as Himmelburg

Think Lids getting a mention was just a special case. Cogs not mentioned in the injury report either so same boat as Himmelburg

It also tells the footy media that he is in consideration. I got very annoyed with Gerard Healy saying somewhere over the weekend that the return of Cogs, Griffen and Deledio were more "hopeful" than "likely" when I'd watched two of them play on Saturday.

It also tells the footy media that he is in consideration. I got very annoyed with Gerard Healy saying somewhere over the weekend that the return of Cogs, Griffen and Deledio were more "hopeful" than "likely" when I'd watched two of them play on Saturday.
How did Himmelburg go?

Will Hopper come back through the 2s?
If Shiel doesn't cone up he would have to be a chance to come straight back in surely.
Cogs is a walk up start if on 1 leg & can get through a full game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back