Preview 2017 JLT Series Week 1 - starts Thurs Feb 16th

Remove this Banner Ad

The form was actually true for us last year.
We lost to the Bulldogs and beat the Swans and the Lions.
Wierd coincidence

No coincidence beating the Swans in a pre-season game. We've sworn never to win one. I think we might have once, by accident. A player was concussed and kicked in the right direction.

Does any team take these seriously ? Great fun to watch when you're starved for footy but otherwise it's like watching warm-up laps at a Grand Prix.

Does any team take these seriously ? Great fun to watch when you're starved for footy but otherwise it's like watching warm-up laps at a Grand Prix.
Last year it was worth going to Concorde to see the physical development in our guys, Lobb, Wilson, Wlliams and Kelly in particular. Our traing sessions are open so I guess I could have done that instead.
This year we've drafted two guys from my hometown and hoping they play round one, like to see how they go.
Results, not so much.

I always enjoy watching them but not sure whether that's genuine or just hanging out so badly for some footy. The write-ups this time of year would have you believe everyone is a future star. It usually turns out to be wishful thinking.

I miss the competition. Still remember in 2006 geelong won against Adelaide in the final and it was a ripper game. I was pretty pumped at the time to, granted i was only 15 but it was nice to win something!

I miss the competition. Still remember in 2006 geelong won against Adelaide in the final and it was a ripper game. I was pretty pumped at the time to, granted i was only 15 but it was nice to win something!

Could still easily still do it.
Split Round 1 over 2 weeks with the bottom 4 sides on the ladder from the previous year playing off in the first week, with winners playing off in the second week. After Round 1, you got 8 sides left.. QF -> SF -> GF.

Main gripe I've heard was that sides wanted to a fixed fixture knowing where/when/who they will play throughout the pre-season... can't do that with a single elimination tournament.

Collingwood Squad
Alex Fasolo
2. Jordan De Goey
5. Jamie Elliott
6. Tyson Goldsack
9. Jesse White
11. Jarryd Blair
12. Matthew Scharenberg
14. James Aish
15. Lynden Dunn
16. Chris Mayne
18. Travis Varcoe
19. Levi Greenwood
21. Tom Phillips
22. Steele Sidebottom
23. Lachlan Keeffe
25. Jack Crisp
26. Josh Daicos
28. Ben Sinclair
30. Darcy Moore
31. Jackson Ramsay
32. Will Hoskin-Elliott
37. Brayden Maynard
38. Jeremy Howe
40. Josh Smith
41. Henry Schade*
43. Adam Oxley
44. Liam Mackie*
45. Max Lynch*
46. Mason Cox*
*Denotes rookie

Missing: Pendlebury, Treloar, Adams, Grundy, Wells, Reid

Collingwood Squad
Alex Fasolo
2. Jordan De Goey
5. Jamie Elliott
6. Tyson Goldsack
9. Jesse White
11. Jarryd Blair
12. Matthew Scharenberg
14. James Aish
15. Lynden Dunn
16. Chris Mayne
18. Travis Varcoe
19. Levi Greenwood
21. Tom Phillips
22. Steele Sidebottom
23. Lachlan Keeffe
25. Jack Crisp
26. Josh Daicos
28. Ben Sinclair
30. Darcy Moore
31. Jackson Ramsay
32. Will Hoskin-Elliott
37. Brayden Maynard
38. Jeremy Howe
40. Josh Smith
41. Henry Schade*
43. Adam Oxley
44. Liam Mackie*
45. Max Lynch*
46. Mason Cox*
*Denotes rookie

That looks very understrength. I assume Cox will play first ruck?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ESSENDON
1. Andrew McGrath, 3. Darcy Parish, 4. Jobe Watson, 7. Zach Merrett, 8. Martin Gleeson, 9. Brendon Goddard, 11. David Zaharakis, 12. Mark Baguley, 13. Orazio Fantasia, 15. Josh Green, 17. James Stewart, 18. Michael Hurley, 20. Jackson Merrett, 21. Dyson Heppell , 22. Matthew Leuenberger, 23. David Myers, 24. Craig Bird, 28. Mitch Brown , 29. Patrick Ambrose, 30. Kyle Langford, 32. Travis Colyer, 33. Jayden Laverde, 34. Jake Long, 39. Heath Hocking, 40. Ben Howlett, 43. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, 44. Shaun McKernan, 47. James Kelly, 49. Matt Dea

Notable absentees: Tom Bellchambers, Aaron Francis, Brent Stanton, Cale Hooker

Michael Hartley also not playing.
On paper, that should be a very comfortable win for Essendon, but I think the returning players like Watson, Heppell, Hurley etc will be on restricted minutes.

EDIT:
WTF AFL website? Aaron Francis is a notable absentee and Joe Daniher is not?

Collingwood Squad
Alex Fasolo
2. Jordan De Goey
5. Jamie Elliott
6. Tyson Goldsack
9. Jesse White
11. Jarryd Blair
12. Matthew Scharenberg
14. James Aish
15. Lynden Dunn
16. Chris Mayne
18. Travis Varcoe
19. Levi Greenwood
21. Tom Phillips
22. Steele Sidebottom
23. Lachlan Keeffe
25. Jack Crisp
26. Josh Daicos
28. Ben Sinclair
30. Darcy Moore
31. Jackson Ramsay
32. Will Hoskin-Elliott
37. Brayden Maynard
38. Jeremy Howe
40. Josh Smith
41. Henry Schade*
43. Adam Oxley
44. Liam Mackie*
45. Max Lynch*
46. Mason Cox*
*Denotes rookie

6 of your best 8 missing, I expected you guys to bring a weakened lineup to Freo, And go strong here.

Hope for a good game and zero injuries, And that goes for the entire pre season to all teams.

There will be a few players rotating through there, that 2nd ruck/fwd role for us is yet to be confirmed. Cox will get first crack id say with White, Keeffe and even Lynch (if he plays) to have a go in there at different stages.
Leuey (if he plays the full game) should be able to handle them.
ESSENDON
1. Andrew McGrath, 3. Darcy Parish, 4. Jobe Watson, 7. Zach Merrett, 8. Martin Gleeson, 9. Brendon Goddard, 11. David Zaharakis, 12. Mark Baguley, 13. Orazio Fantasia, 15. Josh Green, 17. James Stewart, 18. Michael Hurley, 20. Jackson Merrett, 21. Dyson Heppell , 22. Matthew Leuenberger, 23. David Myers, 24. Craig Bird, 28. Mitch Brown , 29. Patrick Ambrose, 30. Kyle Langford, 32. Travis Colyer, 33. Jayden Laverde, 34. Jake Long, 39. Heath Hocking, 40. Ben Howlett, 43. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, 44. Shaun McKernan, 47. James Kelly, 49. Matt Dea

Notable absentees: Tom Bellchambers, Aaron Francis, Brent Stanton, Cale Hooker

Michael Hartley also not playing.
On paper, that should be a very comfortable win for Essendon, but I think the returning players like Watson, Heppell, Hurley etc will be on restricted minutes.
Joe Daniher isn't a notable absentee?

I reckon we line up as:

Brown - Ambrose - Dea
Gleeson - Hurley - McGrath
Bird - Z Merrett - Parish
Fantasia - McKernan - Laverde
Green - Stewart - McDonald-Tipungwuti
Leuenberger - Langford - Zaharakis
Myers - Colyer - Howlett - Hocking (full game)
Watson - Goddard - Heppell - Kelly (one half each)

There may be others who play just a half; such as Hurley and a few others.

6 of your best 8 missing, I expected you guys to bring a weakened lineup to Freo, And go strong here.

Hope for a good game and zero injuries, And that goes for the entire pre season to all teams.
That's basically all i hope for, no injuries and for the team we field to have a crack. Result doesnt matter just have a crack

Interesting. Neither are full-strength but on paper I expect Essendon to win this.
They're missing 6 top 10 players. We're missing two top 10 players and four fringe 22 players. That's as close as anyone's going to get to a full strength side this pre-season IMO.

They're missing 6 top 10 players. We're missing two top 10 players and four fringe 22 players. That's as close as anyone's going to get to a full strength side this pre-season IMO.
But Daniher and Hooker out is pretty much our forward line gone, which is already a problem area for us. We should still win this comfortably

Essendon is missing their number 1 forward in Daniher, but I expect that they still comfortably beat Collingwood given that Collingwood have Pendlebury, Adams and Treloar out.

I thought they'd come in stronger this round.

Leuey (if he plays the full game) should be able to handle them.

Joe Daniher isn't a notable absentee?

I reckon we line up as:

Brown - Ambrose - Dea
Gleeson - Hurley - McGrath
Bird - Z Merrett - Parish
Fantasia - McKernan - Laverde
Green - Stewart - McDonald-Tipungwuti
Leuenberger - Langford - Zaharakis
Myers - Colyer - Howlett - Hocking (full game)
Watson - Goddard - Heppell - Kelly (one half each)

There may be others who play just a half; such as Hurley and a few others.
Langford and Laverde are the younger players I'm particularly excited to watch especially Langford in the midfield who I've been hearing some really positive things from the Bombers match sim and intra-club. Even though it's just pre-season, also interested to see your small forward brigade led by Fantasia, Green, AMT and also Colyer. Can't forget McGrath, not just for this year but I'll be watching with interest as he's predicted to transition from HB and into the midfield over time.

But Daniher and Hooker out is pretty much our forward line gone, which is already a problem area for us. We should still win this comfortably
We'll see. Collingwood's defence isn't exactly brilliant either; especially with no Reid there.
Essendon is missing their number 1 forward in Daniher, but I expect that they still comfortably beat Collingwood given that Collingwood have Pendlebury, Adams and Treloar out.

I thought they'd come in stronger this round.
Yeah. Their starting trio will probably be Crisp, De Goey and Sidebottom. Ours will probably be Watson, Heppell and Merrett. Huge gap in terms of class (not dissing Sidebottom but he's a better outside player than inside)

Langford and Laverde are the younger players I'm particularly excited to watch especially Langford in the midfield who I've been hearing some really positive things from the Bombers match sim and intra-club. Even though it's just pre-season, also interested to see your small forward brigade led by Fantasia, Green, AMT and also Colyer. Can't forget McGrath, not just for this year but I'll be watching with interest as he's predicted to transition from HB and into the midfield over time.
Langers is a fan favourite. Absolute class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back