Prediction 2017 Ladder (Bumped - two rounds to go)

Remove this Banner Ad

Any team that has to rely on their best defender to play as their 2nd key forward is not winning a flag.

Taylor is no longer our best defender and not if last year was anything to go by. Henderson was our best defender which is why I was staggered that 1) he started up forward in the prelim final, and 2) It took half a game to move him back.

Taylor is no longer our best defender and not if last year was anything to go by. Henderson was our best defender which is why I was staggered that 1) he started up forward in the prelim final, and 2) It took half a game to move him back.

Taylor finished 5th in our B&F.
I thought Henderson had a 6 week stretch where he really dominated about mid year but he did take a little while to finally get going whereas Taylor was consistent but not at the level to which we have known him to be (top 3 defender in the game).

Taylor finished 5th in our B&F.
I thought Henderson had a 6 week stretch where he really dominated about mid year but he did take a little while to finally get going whereas Taylor was consistent but not at the level to which we have known him to be (top 3 defender in the game).
Taylor started the year off well before stagnating I thought. Henderson, well I was of the opinion that he got better as the year progressed and as he learnt our system, before finally finishing the year as our best defender. I thought Lonergan was important too.

People see things differently though which is quite normal.

I don't take much notice of our best and fairest results because I didn't think Blicavs had the best of years either and he finished 6th. A lot of posters on this board were of the opinion that Bartel was in the top half a dozen players for the year and he finished 13th.

Agree with that, but as Hendo had missed a bit, and because he had been tried there a lot at Blues, and once with us, I could understand the ploy. He came as a swing player. Just that Harry is an overall better swing player. I too thought Hendo started to become our most consistent defender, but it was as the third tall back, effectively replacing Rivers... Harley.

Perplexing really. To that he was coming bk from a awkward knee injury

Taylor started the year off well before stagnating I thought. Henderson, well I was of the opinion that he got better as the year progressed and as he learnt our system, before finally finishing the year as our best defender. I thought Lonergan was important too.

People see things differently though which is quite normal.

I don't take much notice of our best and fairest results because I didn't think Blicavs had the best of years either and he finished 6th. A lot of posters on this board were of the opinion that Bartel was in the top half a dozen players for the year and he finished 13th.

Yeh I didn't rate Blicavs' season either and very surprised to see him finish 6th.
Then again, who else would you have given votes to because Menegola hardly featured, Selwood only managed a handful.
I thought Duncan played a lot better than Blicavs but even then he was ok.
Motlop was too inconsistent all together.

Menzel would have been more deserving than Blicavs as he managed 5 marks and 2 goals per game.
Seemed like every time he was near the ball something positive would eventuate.

Yeh I didn't rate Blicavs' season either and very surprised to see him finish 6th.
Then again, who else would you have given votes to because Menegola hardly featured, Selwood only managed a handful.

Menzel would have been more deserving than Blicavs as he managed 5 marks and 2 goals per game.
I'm not sure to be honest but I think the top 4 were pretty much spot on. It's a good example of the problems we face and the huge gap between our elite players and the rest. To take that next step in finals we definitely need Guthrie to reach the next level (which he's more than capable of) and one or two other step up into the reliable and consistent bracket.

I still think we finish top 4 through our sheer weight of talent up the top but improvement from our bottom 6 or so is paramount in taking that next step.

Was that directed at the post above yours?
If so, was talking about Hendo going fwd.
My post was quoted without content. It seems to have been fixed and I agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perplexing really. To that he was coming bk from a awkward knee injury
I was at that game where he got injured playing forward and he wasn't setting the joint on fire, a Kersten handball put him away for an easy goal but on the whole looked a bit lost up there that arvo.He returned the favor to Kersten in a good passage of play but I went away think we won't see that tried again for a while.

My perception of the B&F was there wasn't a lot of depth after the first 3-4 placegetters.

Gut feelings based on 2016, and that is tarnished by our very last match- no particular order here,

1. Bulldogs/GWS
2. Hawks /Swans/Bombers
3. Crows/Eagles/Saints/Pies/Demons/NM/Tigers/Freo/Port/Carlton/GC
4. Lions

I'll slot us in between groups 2 and 3.

Can really see Bombers improving

Wildcard team for me is GC- can do anything this year, and Pies should also climb.

I'm not sure preseason will add anything to this guesstimate, but as long as we don't lose any more players....

Last edited:
I was at that game where he got injured playing forward and he wasn't setting the joint on fire, a Kersten handball put him away for an easy goal but on the whole looked a bit lost up there that arvo.He returned the favor to Kersten in a good passage of play but I went away think we won't see that tried again for a while.
This isn't what you wrote at the time mate.

But seriously, I think Black will be a revelation of sorts, maybe to the extent that Pods was.

Really hope you're right, Dubs.

You're clearly one of the most astute posters on here and you are sensibly circumspect pretty much all the time.

So I'm surprised to see you so bullish about AB.

I can remember many occasions when Pods was a genuine threat for us, rather than simply a role player.

As things stand, I have to say I would think that Black will be just about the polar opposite of that during his Cats career.

Will be delighted to be proved wrong, though.

and Podsiadly kicked 70 goals in the reserves of 2009 while taking home the best and fairest award.

Black has kicked 45 goals in two seasons for Werribee, not to mention he's about 10 kilo's lighter.
He rarely takes a genuine pack mark and has not been able to hold his own at senior level when given the chance. This is a mature ager too, not some 22 year old who is still finding his feet.

I think he will be good for 20 goals but he's nothing more than a role player.

and Podsiadly kicked 70 goals in the reserves of 2009 while taking home the best and fairest award.

Black has kicked 45 goals in two seasons for Werribee, not to mention he's about 10 kilo's lighter.
He rarely takes a genuine pack mark and has not been able to hold his own at senior level when given the chance. This is a mature ager too, not some 22 year old who is still finding his feet.

I think he will be good for 20 goals but he's nothing more than a role player.
How does your 2017 ladder look Bobby?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back