2017 Ladder Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2012
Best country in the world
AFL Club
West Coast
1d3d1c68623337ac98ca19f22ae151df.jpg

I don't think Collingwood or PA are realistically good enough to finish as high as I have them, but for some reason I had them winning a lot of upsets and 50/50 type games

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
Did the ladder predictor, got something like

1 GWS
2 Sydney
3 Adelaide
4 Hawthorn
5 Western Bulldogs
6 Geelong
7 West Coast
8 St Kilda
-----------------------------------
9 Melbourne
10 Richmond
11 Fremantle
12 North Melbourne
13 Collingwood
14 Port Adelaide
15 Essendon
16 Gold Coast
17 Brisbane
18 Carlton

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
1. Geelong
2. GWS
3. Western Bulldogs
4. Sydney
5. Adelaide
6. WCE
7. Hawthorn
8. Essendon
---------------------
9. St Kilda
10. Melbourne
11. Fremantle
12. Richmond
13. Collingwood
14. Gold Coast
15. North Melbourne
16. Port Adelaide
17. Brisbane
18. Carlton

I don't see a lot separating 5th to 16th, before the preseason I thought Carlton might be a smoky for the eight but they still lack a forward line.

According to the ladder predictor

Geelong
Sydney
GWS
Hawthorn
Essendon
Adelaide
WCE
Western Bulldogs
---------------
St Kilda
Melbourne
Fremantle
Collingwood
Richmond
Port
North Melbourne
GCS
Brisbane
Carlton

GWS for premiership

Last edited:

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Top 3
GWS
Sydney
WB
Any of these could finish top depending on injuries, umpires:eek: and W/L close games
Next tier
WCE
Geel
Adel
Hawks
order i would have these teams in if things happen as expected
High chance for the 8
Melb
St K
Melbourne is my pick but is it a year too early for the dees youth?
Outside chance for the 8
Freo
Pies
Fyfe/Sandi staying fit and effective through the season and anything is possible in the regular season
Similar to the Pies with the ruck/MF combo and both sides have perceived weaknesses at both ends of the ground
No Mans land
Suns
Tigers
North
Port
Essendon
Treading water and getting games into players and working on a gameplan
Bottom 2
Bris
Carlton
Nothing to say that hasnt already been said, I would like to see one of the Carlton youth kick 4 in game imagine the excitement if it is Silvagni. Could be the event that produces the infamous server meltdown on BF

Last edited:
Top 3
GWS
Sydney
WB
Any of these could finish top depending on injuries, umpires:eek: and W/L close games
Next tier
WCE
Geel
Adel
Hawks
order i would have these teams in if things happen as expected
High chance for the 8
Melb
St K
Melbourne is my pick but is it a year too early for the dees youth?
Outside chance for the 8
Freo
Pies
Fyfe/Sandi staying fit and effective through the season and anything is possible in the regular season
Similar to the Pies with the ruck/MF combo and both sides have perceived weaknesses at both ends of the ground
No Mans land
Suns
Tigers
North
Port
Essendon
Treading water and getting games into players and working on a gameplan
Bottom 2
Bris
Carlton
Nothing to say that hasnt already been said, I would like to see one of the Carlton youth kick 4 in game imagine the excitement if it is Silvagni. Could be the event that produces the infamous server meltdown on BF

Only happens when Richmond wins.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
cbf with exact positions

Usually two drop out every year and two come in obviously. I think either cats, dogs or hawks will miss the 8. Out of those 3 I'll go with the Hawks. Dogs could have a hang over very unlikely with their crop of players. Should be in the last 4 you'd think.

GWS
Doggies
WCE
Saints
Swans
Crows
Dees
Cats/Hawks

Going with the cats

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
My ladder predictor came up with

My Ladder:
GWS 18 4
WB 18 4
Geel 17 5
Syd 16 6
Adel 15 7
Melb 14 8
WCE 14 8
Port 13 9

Haw 12 10
StK 12 10
Freo 11 11
Nth 10 12
GC 9 13
Rich 8 14
Coll 6 16
Ess 3 19
Bris 1 21
Carlt 1 21

SANFL for fun:
Port
Eagles
Sturt
Adelaide
Central
Glenelg
Norwood
West
South

3 wins ? We won 3 games last season with our cobbled up team.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
North Melbourne will finish 7th on the ladder? Which great players did you sign in the off-season to replace Boomer, Wells and Dal Santo? Who is the ready-made backman there to replace Firrito? How old is Waite this year?

Don't get me wrong, you've still got plenty of good players but I don't know how you lose the experienced players you did, not pick up any ready-made replacements in the off-season and somehow go up a spot on the ladder and somehow you're expecting to finish above Hawthorn, Geelong, St Kilda and Fremantle? Even Port have a better list than North but for whatever reason they're a complete rabble. I wouldn't even be surprised if Collingwood and Essendon finished above North.

But forget about those other teams for the moment.....how do you suppose you'll finish above Hawthorn?

Do you have any players coming back from injury?

Yep.

Brown
Higgins
Waite
Wright
McDonald
Jacobs (injured again)
Wood (injured again)
Garner
Turner

Just off the top of my head a few best 25 players that weren't available in the 2nd half of last year. Everyone always says how s**t our list is but we played finals the last 3 years, made it to 2 prelims and even with our shitty 2nd half last year we still only lost to 1 side that finished below us (Port).
I agree with what FN said to an extent about the older guys plodding along, and I think it's overstated how much of an impact they actually had. In my opinion Harvey & Firrito are the only ones we will miss, we have proved that we don't need Wells (2015), Dal Santo was soft as butter last year and as nice a guy as Petrie is he was little more than a practice dummy at times.

Anyway here's my ladder predictor for this year:

sfyyh3.jpg

Ignore the % I originally tried to guess the margins but gave up a few rounds in.

There will be upsets from teams like Bris & Carlton etc. but so hard to pick them.

Only happens when Richmond wins.
I guess that its a good thing that we havent had to worry about that for 35+ years then, isnt it?

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
3 wins ? We won 3 games last season with our cobbled up team.
I think you'll win more, and so will Brisbane and Carlton who I had on 1 win, but right now I think those wins will be upsets and they're hard to pick. That just means that obviously where I rate Essendon is below a lot of others.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Went through the ladder predictor myself. It threw up some surprises for me

1. West Coast
2/3 Sydney & Geelong on equal points
4/5. Adelaide & Giants on equal points
6. Richmond
7. Bulldogs
8/9 Gold Coast & Hawthorn on equal points
10/11/12 between Collingwood, Melbourne and St Kilda all on equal points
13. Port - expected them to be much higher
14. Essendon
15. North Melbourne
16/17 Brisbane & Freo
18. Carlton

West Coast I expect big things of this year. Important matches are often at home plus they have a weaker draw for where they are. Wouldn't be surprised to see them holding the cup.

Bulldogs have a much tougher draw. I can't see them lifting in ability too much which will keep them in 7th again.

Nov 28, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
64 GWS.......................(Win 7 of the first 9 games and will live in the top 4 from May.)
64 Western Bulldogs...(Win 9 of the last 11 games to take a top 2 spot.)
60 Sydney....**...........(10 wins up to round 14. Inconsistent in the final third of the season.)
56 Adelaide.................(Win 8 of the first 10 games. Terrible on the road after halfway.)
56 West Coast............(Struggle early, but only lose 3 games after the bye.)
56 Collingwood...........(Inconsistent early, but only lose 2 games after the bye.)
52 Geelong.................(Win 9 of the first 11 games. Home wins after halfway get them to finals.)
52 Melbourne..............(Average for much of the season, but a strong July will get them to September.)

52 Hawthorn...............(Win 6 of the first 9 games. Terrible middle third of the season means no finals.)
48 St Kilda...................(Cant get going early. Strong mid-season and good finish, but fall short.)
48 Essendon...............(Win 5 of the first 6 games, but struggle as the season goes on.)
40 Richmond...............(Cant string wins together throughout the season. Tail off at the end.)
32 Port Adelaide.........(Poor start and disappointing performances on the road will cost them dearly.)
28 Gold Coast.............(Solid at home. Few, if any wins on the road, but no hammerings.)
24 Fremantle..............(Wins spread throughout the year. Defence no longer their trademark.)
24 North Melbourne...(Struggle to win games through the middle of the season.)
20 Carlton..................(Must win in early rounds to help avoid another spoon.)
16 Brisbane................(Victories look probable early, but May is a nightmare and could erode confidence.)

** Premiers.

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
It appears you are going into round 1 with 3 debutants two of which were rookies, when you are predicting you look at unusual things like this and add that too your existing squad and they could perform but percentages say they will struggle
Which percentages are these, O Sage one? Sauce.

EagleShore

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This has got to be one of the toughest seasons to predict in terms of positions 4-16. There are just so many teams who performed horribly last year that will be significantly better this year.

Fremantle, Essendon, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Melbourne and arguably Collingwood and Richmond. It is so hard jostling these teams in the ladder and my predicted version below comes with the obvious caveats that positions 4 to 14 are so hard to pick, and that only time will tell.

There are far fewer teams that are expected to slide significantly compared to their output in 2016. You would include North Melbourne and possibly Geelong and Hawthorn but not many others come into the discussion.

I think the most underrated teams heading into the season are Essendon, Gold Coast and Fremantle. They all get champions back on the park and have somewhat of a fresh start given new training facilities for the latter two.

The longevity as the season progresses will be telling for Essendon given they had so many not play in 2016.

The cohesion of Fremantle's forwards and backs will be telling and will ultimately stifle their rise up the ladder.

Gold Coast have a reasonably formidable starting 18. Avoiding the types of injuries that have stalled that team over the past couple of years will be the key to their season. Will surprise a few.

1) GWS - tough to see them losing many games...adding experienced class in Deledio will be telling in the finals.

2) Sydney - solid youth will support the gun midfield. Even Lockett's back, isn't he? This team is hurting after last year and will be almost unbeatable when Heeney gets back.

3) Bulldogs - tried and tested contested game style with the addition of Murphy, Cloke and Crameri should see them a lock for top 3.

4) West Coast - Mitchell is expected to offset the compromised ruck stocks, but time will tell and a few players like Yeo and Jetta need to have more impact. Could very well slide if pacier teams get a hold of their midfield.

5) Adelaide - Gun forward line but will start the year slowly with a few key injuries. Milera and Cameron need to step up but their midfield remains a problem unless the Crouch brothers really get going. I have them 5th providing Pyke has developed a more solid plan, as teams like Geelong and West Coast worked them out in 2016.

6) St Kilda
- One of the more exciting young forward lines in the league, but I think their defence may be punished by teams with better midfields.

7) Melbourne
- midfield will punish some teams harshly but their forward line needs to improve its chemistry.

8) Geelong
- will still go well but midfield is thin after Danger and Selwood, and lack of third man up will hurt the utility they derived from Blicavs.

9) Gold Coast - very solid spine with a good mix of pace and class around them. Will upset a number of teams this year if their best players stay fit and Rockett gets them to maintain a sound structure.

10) Hawthorn - will take some time for the chemistry to develop in their new midfield.

11) Collingwood
- good midfield but can't see them pushing into the 8. Mayne? Collingwood fans will be ropeable.

12) Fremantle
- if they get Bennell back they will be tough to beat in the midfield. Defenders and Forwards will need time to gel.

13) Richmond
- will be better with Prestia and the purported "let them play" game style but depth is still an issue.

14) Essendon
- will ultimately run out of steam due to lack of conditioning. Can see them upsetting teams, possibly beginning with Hawthorn.

15) North Melbourne
- won't be as uncompetitive as many think, but they will suffer due to lack of outside run. Development year.

16) Port Adelaide
- too much left to too few players. The new Richmond with a gun handful and nothing of substance around the fringes. SPP will intrigue.

17) Carlton
- still early in the rebuild and players like Palmer will only be bridges to the final product if they ever get there. Pickett looks good. Would want to push teams (ie. improve their percentage) but will run out of steam.

18) Brisbane
- early days with a new look team. Some excitement to look forward to and hopefully for Lions fans they manage a few upset wins.

Last edited:

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
64 GWS.......................(Win 7 of the first 9 games and will live in the top 4 from May.)
64 Western Bulldogs...(Win 9 of the last 11 games to take a top 2 spot.)
60 Sydney....**...........(10 wins up to round 14. Inconsistent in the final third of the season.)
56 Adelaide.................(Win 8 of the first 10 games. Terrible on the road after halfway.)
56 West Coast............(Struggle early, but only lose 3 games after the bye.)
56 Collingwood...........(Inconsistent early, but only lose 2 games after the bye.)
52 Geelong.................(Win 9 of the first 11 games. Home wins after halfway get them to finals.)
52 Melbourne..............(Average for much of the season, but a strong July will get them to September.)

52 Hawthorn...............(Win 6 of the first 9 games. Terrible middle third of the season means no finals.)
48 St Kilda...................(Cant get going early. Strong mid-season and good finish, but fall short.)
48 Essendon...............(Win 5 of the first 6 games, but struggle as the season goes on.)
40 Richmond...............(Cant string wins together throughout the season. Tail off at the end.)
32 Port Adelaide.........(Poor start and disappointing performances on the road will cost them dearly.)
28 Gold Coast.............(Solid at home. Few, if any wins on the road, but no hammerings.)
24 Fremantle..............(Wins spread throughout the year. Defence no longer their trademark.)
24 North Melbourne...(Struggle to win games through the middle of the season.)
20 Carlton..................(Must win in early rounds to help avoid another spoon.)
16 Brisbane................(Victories look probable early, but May is a nightmare and could erode confidence.)

** Premiers.
I get May is a nightmare for any club, but they only play GC twice

Monopoly_Man

Team Captain
Jun 1, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
1. GWS
2. Sydney
3. Western Bulldogs
4. Hawthorn
5. West Coast
6. Adelaide
7. Melbourne
8. Gold Coast
9. Geelong
10. St Kilda
11. Collingwood
12. Fremantle
13. Richmond
14. Port Adelaide
15. Essendon
16. North Melbourne
17. Brisbane
18. Carlton

Premiers: GWS
Norm Smith: Greene
Brownlow: Dusty
Coleman: Lynch

Edited 23/03/17: Dusty for the Brownlow and Lynch for the Coleman!

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Last minute:

1. GWS
2. Western Bulldogs
3. Sydney
4. Adelaide
5. West Coast
6. St Kilda
7. Geelong
8. Melbourne

9. Hawthorn