2017 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't doubt Essendon's talent - they have a great mix of middle age and older talent and some very good players under the age of 23, but I don't think they'll amazing next year. They'll be competitive but I don't see them getting the wins to make the eight, I see them around the 11-14 mark. 2017 will be a year of gelling together and the younger players improving, and they should be playing finals by 2018. On that note, I feel like writing my opinions on some conceptions here that I disagree with;

John Worsfold - Overrated. I do think he's a good coach, but he's nothing legendary. He won a flag, but coached a massively drug infected team, took them to the foot of the ladder very quickly and sailed the Eagles into irrelevancy for many of his final years. I'd wait to evaluate his performance over the next few years before making and big calls like "one of the best coaches in the league"

Aaron Francis - most overrated youngster in the league. Playing well in the reserves is always a good sign but AFL is really all that matters and he hasn't had that time yet. How you could be the best player from 2015 from a decent goal in the reserves is beyond me. There are so many players under the age of 21 myself and most others would take before him. I'm also going to place Jayden Laverde in the category of overrated youngsters; he has not done anything significant yet.

Jobe Watson - just an average midfielder nowadays and you shouldn't put too much hope in him to lift you back to finals. Might still get a lot of touches but he's hardly the game changer he was in 2012 and 2013.

Mate don't use logic and sense they don't like that.

Aaron Francis - most overrated youngster in the league. Playing well in the reserves is always a good sign but AFL is really all that matters and he hasn't had that time yet. How you could be the best player from 2015 from a decent goal in the reserves is beyond me. There are so many players under the age of 21 myself and most others would take before him.
Bit harsh. His first AFL game was very eye-catching and, all things considered, excellent (4 contested marks, most of them intercepts). And then he had to play forward in his other 2 games in a wooden-spoon forward line.

It's okay to not rate him yet, but calling him the most overrated youngster in the league is a bit strange based on what we've seen.

I don't doubt Essendon's talent - they have a great mix of middle age and older talent and some very good players under the age of 23, but I don't think they'll amazing next year. They'll be competitive but I don't see them getting the wins to make the eight, I see them around the 11-14 mark. 2017 will be a year of gelling together and the younger players improving, and they should be playing finals by 2018. On that note, I feel like writing my opinions on some conceptions here that I disagree with;

I think Essendon are in the 8-12 bracket along with Pies, Saints, Demons and Freo....

Dogs, Giants, Swans
Crows, Eagles, Geelong, Hawks
Bombers, Demons, Dockers, Pies, Saints
Blues, Kangaroos, Lions, Power, Suns, Tigers

Injuries could drop you a bracket and open up a spot, playing out of your skin you can go up one...

What are you talking about Essendon have the greatest array of forward line power that I have ever seen.

Hooker
Brown
Daniher
Fantasia
Laverde
Parish

I mean, seriously, if that list of complete frauds doesn't get you up an about, then no forwards will ever..

Here is a question for you, how many of the illustrious group above make it into your last premiership team?

Answer: 0.

Nowhere cowards the lot of them.

Fantasia kicked goals against teams who weren't interested, why do people keep posting this same old s**t. No one gave a **** about playing Essendon. Teams rested players, ffs we played 6 key forwards lol... They were forgezi stats that shouldn't even be included in a players career.

They were glorified practice matches.

lols.

All this thread tells me is people are upset that Essendon looks to be on the way up instead of being anchored down the bottom of the ladder for decades and destroyed by the saga like they hoped. I'll shall enjoy the cries from opposition fans like yourself when Essendon are up on the dais holding the cup.

I think Essendon are in the 8-12 bracket along with Pies, Saints, Demons and Freo....

Dogs, Giants, Swans
Crows, Eagles, Geelong, Hawks
Bombers, Demons, Dockers, Pies, Saints
Blues, Kangaroos, Lions, Power, Suns, Tigers

Injuries could drop you a bracket and open up a spot, playing out of your skin you can go up one...

Agree, except I think Dogs belong in the second row. Congrats to them on their flag but one good run doesn't have me convinced that they will continue it just yet. Next season will tell me a lot.

lols.

All this thread tells me is people are upset that Essendon looks to be on the way up instead of being anchored down the bottom of the ladder for decades and destroyed by the saga like they hoped. I'll shall enjoy the cries from opposition fans like yourself when Essendon are up on the dais holding the cup.

I think you should aim at making and winning a final before you have an aneurysm.

Agree, except I think Dogs belong in the second row. Congrats to them on their flag but one good run doesn't have me convinced that they will continue it just yet. Next season will tell me a lot.

Lol nice try

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If any of the teams in my second row has as many injuries next season as the dogs did this year, they won't make the 8. Dogs were injury hit hard though getting a few back just in time helped.... they also get Crameri back too... and they're the defending champs... would be insulting to put them in the 2nd tier...

Lol @ anyone thinking Essendon will get out of the bottom 6

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk
You're lol'ing at me!

After an extraordinary amount of game time into our young players in season 2016, the return of 4 All Australians and a soft draw, yep, I think Essendon will get out of the bottom 6 in 2017.

If any of the teams in my second row has as many injuries next season as the dogs did this year, they won't make the 8. Dogs were injury hit hard though getting a few back just in time helped.... they also get Crameri back too... and they're the defending champs... would be insulting to put them in the 2nd tier...

True but they have a target on the back now and teams will be gunning for them hard only the very best go on to win multiple flags after their first one and I don't see the Dogs in that category yet after 1 amazing season.

Last edited:
True but they have a target on the back now and teams will be gunning for them hard only the very best go on to win multiple flags after their first one and I don't see the Dogs in that category yet after 1 amazing season.

I want to see how this young team handles the pressure of being hunted before I have them with GWS and Sydney.

We're not Richmond. In fact, no club is like Richmond.
Richmond is not the only team that went down because they failed to improve their list enough. They are just one of the more recent examples.

I am just saying that there is a possibility that Adelaide could be another team that could go down because they haven't brought in star players or solid contributors. Reality is that Adelaide's drafting could prove to be enough to remain in the 8/improve, but if I were to say whether a rise or fall is more likely, then I would slightly lean towards a fall.

You can take them all your want, doesn't change my opinion that Daw would be your #1 ruckman and your best key forward.

He is a better mark, set shot, faster and stronger than any tall forward on your list.

Which is funny because he is our 4th best.
I think most people would disagree with your opinion and would take Joe over Daw.

The Dogs don't belong on the same row as GWS because we have only had "one good run". How many good runs have GWS had?

1. GWS
2. Sydney
3. Crows
4. Bulldogs
5. West Coast
6. Geelong
7. Port
8. Hawthorne
9. St Kilda
10. North
11. Essendon
12. Melbourne
13. Freo
14. Richmond
15. Collingwood
16. Suns
17. Carlton
18. Brisbane

I know the glow from 2014 has well and truly worn off from Port now after two pretty shocking years but I am hopeful that with a decent run with injuries and some of the young lads coming through we can push forward and have at least a cameo in September. I don't think our list is as in no-mans land as some people think at this point and obviously that could be a little bit of bias but as I said, I am hopeful.

I didn't want to put either Collingwood or the Suns as low as I did, I just honestly couldn't budge them any higher without feeling wrong about it, both of those sides should be better than they are.

Depending on luck, form or injuries I think Melbourne could replace any team from Geelong down in the eight or have a speedbump year and finish anywhere down to the Suns if they have really good luck and have to plumb their younger depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back