Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
7. Port

12. Melbourne

I know the glow from 2014 has well and truly worn off from Port now after two pretty shocking years but I am hopeful that with a decent run with injuries and some of the young lads coming through we can push forward and have at least a cameo in September. I don't think our list is as in no-mans land as some people think at this point and obviously that could be a little bit of bias but as I said, I am hopeful.

Certainly some serious bias there to have Port that far above Melbourne.
Just do not see it given the respective lists going into 2017.

You're lol'ing at me!

After an extraordinary amount of game time into our young players in season 2016, the return of 4 All Australians and a soft draw, yep, I think Essendon will get out of the bottom 6 in 2017.
The return of players who have not played for 12 months?
The same 4 all australians that lead you to a bottom 4 finish in 2015?

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Skipper_

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The return of players who have not played for 12 months?
The same 4 all australians that lead you to a bottom 4 finish in 2015?

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk
Oh yeah because ASADA/WADA/SALADA had nothing to do with our downfall as well as half the twelve not playing in the second half of the season.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
Not sure why Essendon fans are arguing with such passion about where they think they will finish. This is a new situation with so many unknowns and it is hard to get a gauge on where they will finish. Bottom four predictions are just as justified as bottom of the eight predictions (that is to say, not at all).

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Did you notice I said "any team", that includes Geelong. It doesn't have to be a major consideration, but you surely agree it needs to be in the mix?

I did notice you said "any team" that's why I disputed it.
Focusing on the fixture as a reason for Geelong's finishing position just leads to a poor analysis of their season.

We have bigger issues leading into 2017 than the fixture, it might end up playing a part in our finishing position, but just like 2016, I doubt it.

Oh yeah because ASADA/WADA/SALADA had nothing to do with our downfall as well as half the twelve not playing in the second half of the season.
Well I'd they were playing at all australian level like you said, the no, it wouldn't have affected their performance

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Bomberblitzer

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2013
The Boiler Room
AFL Club
Essendon
Well I'd they were playing at all australian level like you said, the no, it wouldn't have affected their performance

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Mental health is one of those things that you just can't predict as it varies so much from person to person. Only Jobe has an idea about how he was affected by the saga, and his experience might be one that is very different compared to that of a guy like Hurley. The performance of those players were definitely affected however, for better or worse.

Not sure why Essendon fans are arguing with such passion about where they think they will finish. This is a new situation with so many unknowns and it is hard to get a gauge on where they will finish. Bottom four predictions are just as justified as bottom of the eight predictions (that is to say, not at all).

You say that as if it's a bad thing. It's the passion of supporters that keeps clubs afloat. If both opinions are justified then why should they just roll over when others claim they will be bottom four? So people can call them s**t but they can't respond?

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
You say that as if it's a bad thing. It's the passion of supporters that keeps clubs afloat. If both opinions are justified then why should they just roll over when others claim they will be bottom four? So people can call them s**t but they can't respond?

A clear misinterpretation. Neither opinion is justified. It is an unprecedented situation, and you cant really predict with any reasonable degree of justification where Essendon will end up because there are so many reasons why Essendon could do well, or could do rubbish.

Aggressively arguing against people for putting the Bombers outside of the eight (and appearing to be offended by alternative opinions) is stupid simply because it is a crapshoot for anyone making a prediction. Any argument is completely pointless (unless of course those arguing dont really care about the truth).

Being passionate about the team is of course great! Passionate stupidity, not so great.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
I did notice you said "any team" that's why I disputed it.
Focusing on the fixture as a reason for Geelong's finishing position just leads to a poor analysis of their season.

We have bigger issues leading into 2017 than the fixture, it might end up playing a part in our finishing position, but just like 2016, I doubt it.
Which is pretty much exactly the same conclusion I came to

This is about next year. But a pass mark in the future will be way more than one in 50.

What does 1 in 50 have to do with anything? I quoted a post saying the Dogs were a level below GWS going into next year because the Dogs had only had one run at it. All I did was point out the Giants had also only had one run at it. Obviously the same reasoning was not being applied to the Giants. Does that make sense?

You can make fun of 1 in 50 all you like. As it stands we went to your place and beat you when it mattered and went on to win the flag.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Haha yeah, blame it on them.

Shock!

Anti-doping agencies follow due process and investigate team and players accused (and later found guilty) of doping! It's almost as if they were doing exactly what they're supposed to do.

Don't blame them for the fact that your players were too mentally weak to deal with a proper investigation into their conduct (again, of which they were later found guilty).

I guess you also have lots of sympathy for criminals as they make their way through the justice system as well only to be found guilty of their crimes?

The 'downfall' was because you had a bunch of average footballers who had only played well when they were on the juice and then got found out when they didn't have their chemical boost. Yet apparently the return of those average players coming off a 12 moth layoff is going to catapult you into finals, or top 4 contention?

I can't wait until we beat, then finish above Essendon next season.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Remind everyone here where your club was pre season 2015?

We just sacked the worst coach in AFL history and lost our captain that in reality if you have watched his GWS form wasn't too bad a loss.

We also had a supremely talented group of kids coming through that the bombers have nowhere near that level of young talent.

We also hired a phenomenal coach who has transformed the club in two years, you have a bloke The Eagles sacked and only won a flag due to pure list talent.

Comparing the dogs and bombers is laughable

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
We just sacked the worst coach in AFL history and lost our captain that in reality if you have watched his GWS form wasn't too bad a loss.

We also had a supremely talented group of kids coming through that the bombers have nowhere near that level of young talent.

We also hired a phenomenal coach who has transformed the club in two years, you have a bloke The Eagles sacked and only won a flag due to pure list talent.

Comparing the dogs and bombers is laughable

You knew that pre season 2015?? Wow you're magic.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1 GWS- A super talented list that added another 4 top 20 draft picks plus Deledio. I'd be gobsmacked if they didn't make a prelim at worst again next year.

2 Sydney Swans- A very good team and such a strong club. They'll be contenders again next year. They have a good mix of youth and experience.

3 Western Bulldogs- I can't see them having a premiership hangover. They're a terrific team who will push for back-to-back flags.

4 Melbourne Demons- I wanted to put a smokey in the top 4 and I've gone with the Dees. I think their team is loaded with talent. Could surprise big time next year. Jones, Lewis, Vince, Hibberd, Garlett, Gawn, are all ready to compete and their young group of Viney, Tyson, McDonald, Hogan, Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Hunt are starting to consistently make an impact at AFL level.

5 Adelaide Crows- I can't see them declining next year so they should finish around the same mark as they did in 2016. They have an outstanding forward line, their defence is solid, their midfield needs work but Sloane is a gun and hopefully for them their younger midfield brigade e.g. the Crouch brothers, Milera and Gallucci can make an impact next year.

6 West Coast Eagles- Nic Nat a big loss but Lycett/Vardy can manage the ruck and Sam Mitchell strengthens their midfield. Hard team to beat at home.

7 St. Kilda Saints- Almost snuck into the finals this year. Added some quality over the off season and gain Carlisle. I'd be surprised if they didn't sneak into the finals in 2017.

8 Geelong Cats- Lost some depth over the off season with the likes of Caddy, Vardy, Kersten and Smedts. I think they rely too much on Selwood/Danger but they should still make finals. I don't see them as contenders next year though.

9 GC Suns- They improved their list big time over the off season adding mature aged midfielders in Hanley, Barlow and Lyons plus 4 top 10 draft picks and if they have a better run with injuries they should finish around this mark. Their bookends are set with Thompson, May, Lynch and Wright and they are now starting to add the quality in the flankers and midfield with guys like Miller, KK, Fiorini, Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Bowes, Brodie, Scrimshaw ect.

10 Hawthorn Hawks- O'Meara is no guarantee to play many games next year and even if he does it'll take him time to return to form. Mitchell and Lewis are big losses and guys like Hodge, Gibson and Burgoyne will be another year older. They won't completely collapse as they still have some great players such as Roughead who will hopefully return, Rioli, Breust ect. but I see other teams passing them leading to them dropping out of the finals.

11 Essendon Bombers- A good list on paper and some terrific young talent. Can't see them making finals next year though. Maybe 2018 onwards. Heppell, Hooker and Hurley are all guns and they are loaded with A standard young talent with Zach Merrett, Daniher, Parish, Francis, McGrath, Fantasia and McDonald-Tinpingwuti.

12 Fremantle Dockers- Had a tough injury run in 2016 and should add Bennell, Hill, Hamling, McCarthy, Kersten and Logue to their best 22 next year. That is a great influx of talent plus the likes of Fyfe, Sandilands and Johnson will hopefully have injury free seasons meaning they'll add 9 quality players to their team that hardly played or didn't play at all in 2016.

13 Collingwood Magpies- Defensive unit is a shambles, I don't rate Buckley as a coach and their forward line lacks scoring power. Midfield is quite nice but I can't see them getting anywhere near finals.

14 Port Adelaide- Their players just consistently underperform and I can't see that changing next year. I don't think they did anything drastic over the off season to improve next year and I see teams like the Suns, Bombers and Dockers passing them. Gray, Wingard and Wines all great players and I rate Impey plus Boak goes alright but the rest of the list is either fairly average or talented but inconsistent.

15 Brisbane Lions- We've had trouble with injuries and dysfunctional coaching over the past couple years but we do have a fair bit of talent on the list both young and old so I think we can win 6-7 games next year. DBeams, Rockliff, Rich, Christensen, Robinson, Martin, Bastinac a solid core plus promising young talent with the likes of Schache, Andrews, Cutler, Mayes, Hipwood, McStay, Gardiner, Mathieson, Keays and the new additions of McCluggage and Co.

16 North Melbourne I rate their list higher than most tend to do but I think they'll bottom out for a couple years to add that top end talent of the draft. They've got a good nucleus in Goldstein, Ziebell, Tarrant, Brown, Cunnington and Higgins plus some promising youth in McDonald, Wood, Clarke and Simpkin. Adding a top 3 draft pick both next year and the year after could see them start to build towards something.

17 Richmond Tigers- If they get off to a bad start I can see the wheels completely falling off. Prestia, Caddy and Nankervis all good additions but I don't think their draftees will have that big of an impact and Deledio is a loss. Overall I still think they lack the quality support for the likes of Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Rance and they could easily finish bottom 2 if they have a tough run with injury/lose some confidence early.

18 Carlton Blues- I think one more year at the bottom to add another elite talent to their young core of Weitering, Cripps, Docherty and SPS before climbing up to the 10th-12th range and beyond that can start to look towards finals.

Last edited:

Westlo

All Australian
Mar 29, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat, Everton FC
Honestly would be better for Essendon to get another top 10 pick next year... throw that and 2018 first round @ 2MP.... easy finals side in 2018 with a ton more upside if injuries are not a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back