Strategy 2017 || Let's construct our best 22 || Part 2: Defensive 6

Our best defensive unit of six?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Salem was a shoe in for your best 22 this year lads? Not seeing the love for him here though.

At his best he is in our 22, but we consistently haven't seen his best mostly due to injury. With hunt coming from nowhere last year, hibberd in and to lesser extent melksham, Salem has a bit of hard work to do to force his way into the side

Thought Salem was a shoe in for your best 22 this year lads? Not seeing the love for him here though.

I definitely think he's best 22 - he just happens to be practically next in line for positions all over the ground. A victim of his own versatility in an exercise like this IMO.

If he can continue the form he had in the VFL finals last year there is no doubt he is best 22. Before getting knocked out (again) he was unstoppable in the first half against Williamstown in the prelim. Set up a bunch of goals off half back. Will play off the bench across all positions if he can stay healthy and cement a spot in the 22.

We'll have 10 positions available after this. All of the players below have genuine claims to being best 22 IMO.

1. Hogan
2. Salem
3. Watts
4. Petracca
5. Brayshaw
6. Stretch
7. Melksham
8. Pedersen
9. vandenBerg
10. Vince
11. Weideman
12. Bugg
13. Kennedy
14. Garlett
15. Wagner
16. Harmes
You forgot Kent

Thanks didnt see that!
He could cover two spots since, you know hes that quick
I thought you did it deliberately and was the reason for why it was in bold

You do realise you have more than 5 midfielders jones an co don't run out 100% game time. Stretch will be on the bench and play through the wing.

Hibberd turned 27 5 weeks ago. We gave up pick 29? For him. We won't be wasting him at Casey he is a certain starter.

We are past the stage of giving kids a go because they are young, blokes need to earn their spot like Petracca last year.

Barring injury hibberd will play 20 games this year

Who said anything about giving kids a go because they are young? They're playing because they a talented and are our future.

Who said anything about giving kids a go because they are young? They're playing because they a talented and are our future.

You inferred it by saying Hiberd was 28 (in fact he turned 27 5 weeks ago) and he shouldn't take the place of a talented youngster. This year players will be picked on performance, age won't be a factor. For too many years we have just given away games to promising young talents and it got us nowhere.

You inferred it by saying Hiberd was 28 (in fact he turned 27 5 weeks ago) and he shouldn't take the place of a talented youngster. This year players will be picked on performance, age won't be a factor. For too many years we have just given away games to promising young talents and it got us nowhere.

So guys like Stretch and Hunt haven't shown anything and only get games because they are young?

Righto mate

So guys like Stretch and Hunt haven't shown anything and only get games because they are young?

Righto mate

Righto mate now you are twisting my words, your opinion of hibberd shows a lack of football knowledge but no one in their right mind would say hunt and stretch haven't show anything. Hunt is a lock for HBF, Stretch not may be in the starting mids but he will play a lot of game time on the wing.

For the record I said players will be picked on performance not age. Look back to 2008-2012 guys were given games ahead of their time because they were young, high draft picks and it stuffed their development.

I should have used "promising young players" meaning blokes who promised the goods but never showed anything but were given games week after week because they were young.

Wcan't gift games into kids because of potential talent. Nor can we rule out players because of their age. I will use the petracca example again, for the first time in a long time we had a high draft bide his time in reserves strong 4-5 god games together before his debut. Years gone by "talent yoingesters" were rushed into side onto potenatil rather then performance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Righto mate now you are twisting my words, your opinion of hibberd shows a lack of football knowledge but no one in their right mind would say hunt and stretch haven't show anything. Hunt is a lock for HBF, Stretch not may be in the starting mids but he will play a lot of game time on the wing.

For the record I said players will be picked on performance not age. Look back to 2008-2012 guys were given games ahead of their time because they were young, high draft picks and it stuffed their development.

I should have used "promising young players" meaning blokes who promised the goods but never showed anything but were given games week after week because they were young.

Wcan't gift games into kids because of potential talent. Nor can we rule out players because of their age. I will use the petracca example again, for the first time in a long time we had a high draft bide his time in reserves strong 4-5 god games together before his debut. Years gone by "talent yoingesters" were rushed into side onto potenatil rather then performance

No, you twisted my words around. I never said playing kids just because they are kids, which you accused me of. Stretch got games through talent, effort and performance. Once he got into the team he continued to improve because he continued to show those attributes.

I rate Hunt higher than Hibberd, i also think Stretch and Salem will be better. The last really good season Hibberd had was 2014. In 2015 the opposition worked him out, he is very one sided.

I think Hibberd will be an ok addition to the team for depth and experience but our future lies with talent like Hunt, Stretch, Salem etc Will he be a success like Vince or a failure like H, probably somewhere in between. But the level of worship and awe that many Melbourne fans have for him is otp, he isn't going to make us an instant top 4 contender and he hasn't played consistently great football either.

No, you twisted my words around. I never said playing kids just because they are kids, which you accused me of. Stretch got games through talent, effort and performance. Once he got into the team he continued to improve because he continued to show those attributes.

I rate Hunt higher than Hibberd, i also think Stretch and Salem will be better. The last really good season Hibberd had was 2014. In 2015 the opposition worked him out, he is very one sided.

I think Hibberd will be an ok addition to the team for depth and experience but our future lies with talent like Hunt, Stretch, Salem etc Will he be a success like Vince or a failure like H, probably somewhere in between. But the level of worship and awe that many Melbourne fans have for him is otp, he isn't going to make us an instant top 4 contender and he hasn't played consistently great football either.

I think we got our wire crossed about the youth vs talent vs experience

Yes hibberd is one sided (all left footer are) in fact I'm yet to see Salem or Hunt reliably use their opposite side. But hibbered can kick better than anyone in our backline, the fact we went after him hard during the season and then the trade period suggests he is a wanted player in our best 18. Time will tell which of us is right.

This time last year hunt would of barely registered a vote in our best defensive 6, now he is arguably one of our most important and exciting players.

We can both agree we now have depth at the club and blokes won't be gifted games or played because we simply have no other option.

Back