Fitzroy FC
Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
The fixture has been released (finally) http://www.neafl.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/_temp_/2017_NEAFL_Fixture.pdf

Lions have 0 home games at the Gabba and 7 and the brand spankin' South Pine Sports Complex to fill in any gaps amongst our 11 away games.

We have three games each against the other AFL clubs; two against the local NEAFL sides and one against the 'interstate' NEAFL teams.

Wowser ....... 5 mins away .................................... (Even closer than slapping Gary on the back)

Judge

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The fixture has been released (finally) http://www.neafl.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/_temp_/2017_NEAFL_Fixture.pdf

Lions have 0 home games at the Gabba and 7 and the brand spankin' South Pine Sports Complex to fill in any gaps amongst our 11 away games.

We have three games each against the other AFL clubs; two against the local NEAFL sides and one against the 'interstate' NEAFL teams.

That's the Aspley Juniors complex at Brendale which has just been redeveloped?

SBMVJB

Debutant
Oct 13, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool, New York Yankees
Aug 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
I read that some Lions Academy matches will be aligned to the fixture, but they're not actually ON the fixture. Are they usually before or after the Reserves game?

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
Yup, not sure how parking will go. From memory most people used to park where the main field is now.

Near Maps Aerial view as of 26/9/16 ...... looks like there may be additional parking east of the ground by the start of the next season (just guessing though - this area still under construction).

Near Maps Aerial view as of 26/9/16 ...... looks like there may be additional parking east of the ground by the start of the next season (just guessing though - this area still under construction).

How've you got a login?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
it will not happen but if everyone on our list is fit and available we should have a pretty competitive outfit in the NEAFL.

seniors-

back 6
Darcy Gardner, Jack Frost, Jarrod Berry.
Ryan Harwood, Harris Andrews, Tom Cutler.

ruck/mids
Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams(c), Tom Rockliff.
Daniel Rich, Rhys Matheison, Ryan Bastinac,

forward 6
Lewis Taylor, Josh Walker, Dayne Zorko.
Eric Hipwood, Josh Schache, Hugh McCluggage.

interchange
Allen Christensen, Sam Mayes, Mitch Robinson, Nick Robertson.

NEAFL-

back 6

Jacob Allison, Marco Paparone, Daniel McStay.
Alex Witherden, Matthew Hammelmann, Cedric Cox.

ruck/mids
Archie Smith, Ryan Lester, Ben Keays.
Jake Barrett, Corey Lyons, Jared Jansen.

forward 6
Reuben William, Jonathan Freeman, Tom Bell.
Rohan Bewick, Michael Close, Claye Beams.

interchange/depth
Liam Dawson, Josh Clayton, Blake Grewar, Mitchell Hinge, Oscar McInerney, Matthew Eagles, Cian Hanley, and Sam Skinner (long term injury)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't see Robertson in the best 22 until he either starts winning it on the inside or starts hurting opposition more on the outside. McStay plays ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eons

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't see Robertson in the best 22 until he either starts winning it on the inside or starts hurting opposition more on the outside. McStay plays ahead of him.

Barrett would be a fair bit ahead of Robertson. Gets it on the inside and can use it on the outside.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Barrett would be a fair bit ahead of Robertson. Gets it on the inside and can use it on the outside.
i am an unabashed fan of Nick Robertson's "potential" although i agree it hasn't been fulfilled yet. he's OOC at the end of 2017 so it is a make or break year for him. if he gets into the team early next year he will probably have 3-6 games to prolong his AFL career.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't know, they play different positions for a start. But it is a classic pure talent vs work ethic and resilience. They are both important to us if they can take a step forward

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
i am an unabashed fan of Nick Robertson's "potential" although i agree it hasn't been fulfilled yet. he's OOC at the end of 2017 so it is a make or break year for him. if he gets into the team early next year he will probably have 3-6 games to prolong his AFL career.
I wouldn't write him off too quickly. Yes he is frustrating but he brings intensity and hard two way run, he just needs to find his feet at the top level. The only way that happens is through some continuity

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't know, they play different positions for a start. But it is a classic pure talent vs work ethic and resilience. They are both important to us if they can take a step forward

There are 3 others on the bench who can play the same role as Robertson.

At this stage he only brings endurance to the team similar to Dalziell did. Maybe he's been poorly managed but we haven't seen him develop anything to separate himself from the other also rans. He can't play back or forward, inside or outside midfield at AFL level. I think Nick and Fagan and the other coaches need to work out what type of footballer he is going to be and they can work towards that.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nrobbo and lewy are the two hard runners in the team. Nrobbo should be looking to pin down a wing or high pressure hff

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
At this stage he only brings endurance to the team similar to Dalziell did. Maybe he's been poorly managed but we haven't seen him develop anything to separate himself from the other also rans. He can't play back or forward, inside or outside midfield at AFL level. I think Nick and Fagan and the other coaches need to work out what type of footballer he is going to be and they can work towards that.

completely agree with the bolded, i see him as an outside wing/mid type gut running up and down the flanks. i have watched him closely in a few live games at the gabba and his biggest fault is he panics under pressure which was in most cases perceived pressure not actual, he has more time than he thinks he does on a lot of occasions IMO.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

completely agree with the bolded, i see him as an outside wing/mid type gut running up and down the flanks. i have watched him closely in a few live games at the gabba and his biggest fault is he panics under pressure which was in most cases perceived pressure not actual, he has more time than he thinks he does on a lot of occasions IMO.
Correct and he just loses composure at full 100% when 95% is enough to get him clear and enable him to have a good disposal

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just going through the fixtures to see how they line up. In the first half of the season, we play 5 games in a row 'away', and chuck in a couple of byes and there's an 8 week gap between home games (NEAFL).

Matching them up to senior home games and the time constraints of sitting in general admission at the Gabba, means I will only be able to make it to 4 reserves games next year (one of those 'away' at Aspley). Gee I'd love it if they played more often on different days to the seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back