2017 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Close beams and Jansen best from the bits I saw......missed first half....poor Archie went to fly the flag and nobody helped him....disappointing

Not an impressive half which we lost. Only got home by three goals in the end. We did hit the post twice in last quarter. Positives: Jansen played 4 quarters and BOG for mine. 32 disposals, 9 marks and a goal. (Only the one shocking turnover, but we all make mistakes). Rhino's 4 goals in 3 quarters. Close kicked 2 and gave off a number. Is easily the best tall forward not in the seniors. Just needs to spend the summer improving his kicking. Dawson's marking is elite at this level. Hanley providing good run.

Mental lapse in the 2nd half, but something we can learn from. A win is a win. About half the opposition has played for us previously or this year as top ups, so credit to them.

Close beams and Jansen best from the bits I saw......missed first half....poor Archie went to fly the flag and nobody helped him....disappointing
I only seen the second half, I thought Beams disposal by foot was pretty average?

I only seen the second half, I thought Beams disposal by foot was pretty average?

Should watch the first quarter in particular... played really well. Thought Redland had a good team structure and moved the ball well up the field most of the game.

A win is a win though.

Had to sit right down on the lower section behind the goals so the viewing was not what I was used to being from the heights of section 74, but from what I could see Dawson was good, Freeman took some good marks and I wouldn't mind Harwood being given a 3-4 game run as a small forward, could save his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lEVv3bo.png

vGDWtgV.png

NEAFL Match Report: Lions edge Bombers
The Brisbane Lions overcame a gallant Redland to win by 18-points in a high-scoring and entertaining affair at the Gabba on Sunday afternoon. The Lions were pushed to the final siren but in the end but were just too good for Redland, winning 20.12 (132) to 18.6 (114).

When they met back in Round 7, it was Redland who started the game extremely well but this time it was Brisbane who took the ascendancy early. The Lions kicked eight goals to Redland’s four in the first quarter, to lead by 26 points at the first change. Redland limited Brisbane to two goals in the second quarter but still trailed by 38 points at the main break.

The second half was more like a tennis match with both teams going goal for goal for the majority of the game. A few unanswered goals to the Bombers in the third and fourth quarters ensured it was an entertaining finish. The margin was only 12 points until a Lions goal just before the final siren extended the margin to 18.

For Brisbane, Liam Dawson was a fantastic up forward taking 14 marks and three goals. Ryan Harwood (four goals) and Blake Grewar (three) also added to their scoring power. Cian Hanley (30 disposals) provided some fantastic run off the half back and Jarrad Jansen (32 disposals) was solid in the midfield for the Lions.

Brisbane will now look forward to their trip to take on the Canberra Demons in Canberra.

BRISBANE 8.3 10.8 13.10 20.12 (132)
REDLAND 4.0 5.2 9.4 18.6 (114)

GOALS – Brisbane: R Harwood 4 B Grewar 3 L Dawson 3 J Freeman 2 S Skinner 2 M Close 2 T Cutler J Jansen R Bewick J Clayton. Redland: J Paine 6 C Cameron 4 A Christensen 3 M Thomson 3 D Adkins H Bertoli-Simmonds.

Anyone's game worthy of a call up?
I agree with Voss the Boss's comment about Dawson. Some of his one grab marks were very strong. And 14 marks is v.impressive.

With Zorko a likely out, I'd really like to see Jansen get a run. I thought he was BOG and for once he looked like what we probably hoped we get when we drafted him, that inside bull who can run with the really big midfielders. Going on Sunday, he looked ready, pretty much led the team in inside and rebound 50s. With his height, he's not that easy to match up on when resting forward either.

I agree with Voss the Boss's comment about Dawson. Some of his one grab marks were very strong. And 14 marks is v.impressive.

With Zorko a likely out, I'd really like to see Jansen get a run. I thought he was BOG and for once he looked like what we probably hoped we get when we drafted him, that inside bull who can run with the really big midfielders. Going on Sunday, he looked ready, pretty much led the team in inside and rebound 50s. With his height, he's not that easy to match up on when resting forward either.
Good post, thanks,no point in Harwood being pushed up yet again, when some kids like Lyon,Clayton and others are putting their hand up every week.

Dawson just hasnt been able to transfer that to AFL standard yet, always looks overwhelmed at the top level.
He played the one game V western bulldogs across HB and an absolute shocker, I would love to see him get the same extended run like others have eg (NRobbo)

Good post, thanks,no point in Harwood being pushed up yet again, when some kids like Lyon,Clayton and others are putting their hand up every week.

Funny definition of "putting their hand up every week" when Clayton is never in the coaches' bests and hovers around the 5th-8th mark in disposals. Lyons at least has put together an ok four game streak with three games in the bests and a top 3 disposal winner each time, but was coming off some average form before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back