Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not a lot of love for Jansen's game. 25 touches, 9 tackles, 8 clearances.

Such an ideal size for a mid with a great attitude, give the lad one more year and see what happens.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Such an ideal size for a mid with a great attitude, give the lad one more year and see what happens.
Wouldn't say he has had a great attitude. Basically stunk it up for the majority of the season and only kicked into gear when he was told (I assume) that he wouldnt be given a contract if he doesn't step up.

Len S

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wouldn't say he has had a great attitude. Basically stunk it up for the majority of the season and only kicked into gear when he was told (I assume) that he wouldnt be given a contract if he doesn't step up.
True,and hes too slow ,doesnt provide run,or get to contests, others preferred.

Even though he was quieter last night, really hope we elevate McInerney to the Senior List and give him a 2 year deal.

100% agree, happy to have him and Archie as our tag combo once Stefan hangs the boots up.

However, Eagles really should get a crack in the seniors somehow, and Im not sure we can keep him rookied much longer...

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

We have to delist at least 3

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
100% agree, happy to have him and Archie as our tag combo once Stefan hangs the boots up.

However, Eagles really should get a crack in the seniors somehow, and Im not sure we can keep him rookied much longer...

He's only been a rookie for 1 year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
From what I was reading I didnt quite get it, but I think we can offer 3 rookies an extension or something?
We can offer rookies contracts for 3 years, a year at a time. (Cat A or B) Hammer and Hanley need to be upgraded or delisted. There has been some suggestion on here that we could apply for dispensation from the AFL for Hanley for a fourth year, given the first two were wiped out with injury. If we wanted to do this, no one seems to know definitely if we would be successful, though I have a vague memory of similar precendents being quoted.

As to Hammelmann, if not upgraded, we could redraft as a rookie after he's been delisted, I believe, if someone else doesn't take him first.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
We can offer rookies contracts for 3 years, a year at a time. (Cat A or B) Hammer and Hanley need to be upgraded or delisted. There has been some suggestion on here that we could apply for dispensation from the AFL for Hanley for a fourth year, given the first two were wiped out with injury. If we wanted to do this, no one seems to know definitely if we would be successful, though I have a vague memory of similar precendents being quoted.

As to Hammelmann, if not upgraded, we could redraft as a rookie after he's been delisted, I believe, if someone else doesn't take him first.
I'd say there's a fair chance Hammelmann will be upgraded. Skinner will miss the whole season, Freeman certain to be cut and you'd think Close might also be traded or cut.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I am lucky to have an understanding wife. Our wedding anniversary andI had the Port WCE game on tv and my phone in my hand watching the lions play. Who says men can't do 2things at once? What a night!

I was up in Country Victoria and doing exactly the same thing. Using my brothers phone as mine will not work there.

Go the Lions

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
He is Cat B, but I believe the difference is that his spot on the list doesn't count for this year. So he hasn't taken up a spot so far, but if we/he extend, then he will be counted on our list (I assume still as Cat B if we want).

Makes sense. I'm really happy for him that he could be in the frame for an extension. I'll admit that I thought the whole thing was a waste of time last year. The first recruit only lasted a year and from what I read he was never accepted as a genuine player by the Port Adelaide list. From what I saw after the siren yesterday the Lions NEAFL players at least saw Matt as a genuine and valued member of their team and so they should.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Think he's probably done as an AFL player to be honest but I would say that he came to our junior club last year and in the 5 years I've been coordinating these Lions player visits to our club he was easily the best we've had. Simon Black was 2nd. Jarrad was super enthusiastic and happy to get involved and had a great communication style with kids aged 8 to 14. I don't know what his plans might be after footy but he would be great doing anything with kids. An inspiring PE teacher maybe? I can't believe that the club would think he didn't have a great attitude.

These blokes who don't quite make it are still very good players and very good people usually.

Last edited:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
:( I like Jansen but fair enough, too little too late.

Who would your picks be? Im struggling to find others apart from Freeman, Jansen.

In order of preference; Clayton, Freeman, Jansen, Bell, Close, Beams, Harwood, Frost and Bewick.

5 or 6 of those or however many we need.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
Even though he was quieter last night, really hope we elevate McInerney to the Senior List and give him a 2 year deal.
Happy for anyone to correct me if I'm wrong, but the situation changes in 2018, with all category A rookies available to be selected in the seniors from round 1. No upgrade needed for any of them to play in the ones. Effectively it means that we can have a list of 46, 40 on senior list and up to 6 category A rookies. The only players dependent on long term injuries to play seniors would be the three category B rookies. I guess for Oscar he would only have a one year contract, but another rookie contract would give him a big chance to play seniors in 2018.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
In order of preference; Clayton, Freeman, Jansen, Bell, Close, Beams, Harwood, Frost and Bewick.

5 or 6 of those or however many we need.
Really only 6 on your list, as Bell & Bewick contracted until end 2018 and Frost until 2019. I could see us retaining 2 or 3 of that list, with one or 2 potential rookies. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Managed to avoid spoilers and watched the game earlier today. Great grand final and thrilled for the boys that we won. There was some seriously questionable umpiring calls in favor of Sydney so am shocked we pulled it off.

Eagles was massive. Would love to see him get another year on our list. Could fill an important spot as a defender the next year or two while Payne develops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back