Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
What would the Neafl forward line look like next year if Ballenden is in the firsts?
Oscar at full forward with Smith changing in the ruck there. Paparone, Dawson and Bell as mobile marking forwards. Midfielders and small forwards yet to be determined. We will be better balanced than this yr.

But Oscar and Archie are more likely to be in the ones with Ballenden spending most of the year developing in the twos. A brief taste of senior footy at some stage, if he is ready.

What would the Neafl forward line look like next year if Ballenden is in the firsts?

I would expect Hipwood and Walker to be our starting KPFs, and Ballenden to play NEAFL most of the year. Then there's McInerney. And Tozer.

Always injuries n suspension pop up which may force an early intro

True. But if they're not going to make it, and they're not supplying leadership etc to develop kids who might yet make it, then we have bigger priorities then having depth available for our NEAFL squad. Prioritising reserves depth over development is how you end up with the worst-performing list in the comp and no space to fit actual talent into it.

Kobe Tozer, yet another tall from our academy. Looks a good prospect. Available in the 20182019 draft - but will be available to play in the NEAFL next year as Ballenden was last year (as well as this year).

Last edited:

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
True. But if they're not going to make it, and they're not supplying leadership etc to develop kids who might yet make it, then we have bigger priorities then having depth available for our NEAFL squad. Prioritising reserves depth over development is how you end up with the worst-performing list in the comp and no space to fit actual talent into it.

Kobe Tozer, yet another tall from our academy. Looks a good prospect. Available in the 2018 draft - but will be available to play in the NEAFL next year as Ballenden was this year.

Thought Tozer was 2019 draft. Will be very interesting to watch him develop in the seconds next year.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B... xxx xxxx Hinge
Hb.Cutler Eagles Hanley
C... Allison xxxxx Bewick
Hf. Bell xxxx Paperone
F... Barrett McInerney Dawson

R... Smith Lyons Beams

I.c Lester xxxxx xxxx xxxxx

Fill in the blanks

Last edited:
Thought Tozer was 2019 draft. Will be very interesting to watch him develop in the seconds next year.

Yup, fair point. He is 2019. Still, Ballenden played a couple games for us in 2016 too.

But, yeah, point remains. We don't want to be keeping players on for the purpose of having positional depth in the NEAFL side.

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Finally got me ressies photers back from the chemist - better late than never - and have posted them onto the internet so we can all share in the fun.

Scratchy v Redland

Scratchy v Labrador

Round 3 v Southport

Round 7 v Redland

Round 9 v Aspley

Round 12 v Southport

Round 13 v GWS

Prelim v Sydney Uni

Grand Final v Sydney

I find myself very excited by this one.

upload_2017-11-13_11-11-35.png

Brilliant photos all round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Did he mark it?

I think so. The only one I remember him dropping was a comfortable chest mark (sort of offsets the excitement I guess).

EDIT: See below. Egg on my face.
EDIT OF EDIT: Just seen Rip's edit... there is still hope.

Last edited:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Missed the one with his eyes opened and clunked the grab with his eyes closed.

Aspley signed Andrew Swallow. Big fish.

very good get for them. Add in Freeman and Spencer and they've done pretty well in the offseason big name wise. Will be a much better team next year one would think. They've also got Ed Barlow too so plenty of ex afl experience there. Given Swallow is going to live on the GC they must have gone pretty hard at him to get him there and not at Southport Sharks.

Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
very good get for them. Add in Freeman and Spencer and they've done pretty well in the offseason big name wise. Will be a much better team next year one would think. They've also got Ed Barlow too so plenty of ex afl experience there. Given Swallow is going to live on the GC they must have gone pretty hard at him to get him there and not at Southport Sharks.
who is that?

and yes good to see they will be competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back