2017 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker in defense could be a real bonus for us. He is a solid body, works hard and we need a big defender or two to step up. Will be interesting to see if he starts in defense against the Crows.

Good to hear Reuben getting involved. I am really hopeful he takes the next step this season.

Cox not ready for the big league but shows a bit of silk
The beast was the the beast, worked inside and outside the pack, could swap backwards and forwards with Keats
Ballenden, will have our other Forwards worried

Keen to hear more about Ballendens game. Does he offer something different to Hipwood and Schache?

Do all three have the potential to be elite?

Walker very good, should never play forward again
Dawson, also very good
Reuben, worked very hard and did a lot of good things, nearly there,needs a little bit of polish
Comments on Walker spot on !,

Walker very good, should never play forward again
Dawson, also very good
Reuben, worked very hard and did a lot of good things, nearly there,needs a little bit of polish
Walker looking promising as a defender would not surprise many Geelong supporters. Quite a few thought it his most natural position.

Probably not surprising to hear Walker did well as a defender actually. He is a competitive bloke, has good 2nd efforts and scrapping ability when up forward or in the ruck. He often positions himself well and reads the flight well, but just doesnt stick enough marks. He gets his hands to the ball but it just pops out.

Will be interesting to see if this continues. We certainly have enough stocks up forward with Hipwood/Schache/Close probably sharing 2 positions this year. And we still have McStay and Freeman with Ballenden on the horizon.

Some depth down back would be good, especially if we can get Paps back to playing a running marking wing type role similar to Bewick. Walker and Skinner coming back would just help add a little depth to our back half.

Probably not surprising to hear Walker did well as a defender actually. He is a competitive bloke, has good 2nd efforts and scrapping ability when up forward or in the ruck. He often positions himself well and reads the flight well, but just doesnt stick enough marks. He gets his hands to the ball but it just pops out.

Will be interesting to see if this continues. We certainly have enough stocks up forward with Hipwood/Schache/Close probably sharing 2 positions this year. And we still have McStay and Freeman with Ballenden on the horizon.

Some depth down back would be good, especially if we can get Paps back to playing a running marking wing type role similar to Bewick. Walker and Skinner coming back would just help add a little depth to our back half.
Plus he has quite good acceleration/closing speed and a big mature body

Did he play much down back while he was at the Cats?
If I recall correctly he played a few games at VFL level, and apparently looked good.

The issue was that when ever he got a game at AFL level he was often forced to play as an under-sized ruck option.

His greatest strengths are his size, competitiveness, endurance and contested marking ability, perfect for a hulking CHB.

I think him and Close both have something to offer for the next year or so, one at each end perhaps until the young guns in Andrews, Hipwood and Schache gain some extra strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would we play Archie 2 days after the senior game? Isn't that just dangerous?
Not sure about "dangerous". Plenty of guys in the NRL, for example, will play Origin on a Wednesday night and back up for club footy as early as Friday night.

I'm only guessing but I'd imagine that, over the two games, Archie's workload was managed. Given both were scratch matches, I think it is not a big deal.

I suspect Archie is in the mix for a round 1 spot and they may have wanted to see how he went as the support ruck, playing a bit of time up forward. It remains one of the big question marks for us whether to play two rucks or rely on a KPF to fill in (and secondarily, which KPF will be the ruck relief).

Great to see a win, after the shellackings of last year there are some positive signs for the first time in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back