2017 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
C6QbbJW.png

qCQEXu9.png

I'd suggest that the wrong Walker was actually the 5th best on ground.
Maybe it was a really, really, really, really effective inside 50.

We basically have a full team of listed players playing. Not having to make up numbers with 16 or 17 year old kids who have not played with us with any consistency is a major change from the last couple of years.
Or assistant coaches in borrowed boots

Interested to see Clayton and Allison as the big movers.Lots of exciting stuff happening with this mob.

The one thing that interested me about Claytons game was I heard he tagged his opponent. If he managed 24 disp and 7 inside 50s as a tagger, that is impressive. I wouldn't hold my breath about his future, but the more players playing good games the better.

Alisons been improving every week. I quite liked his game last week despite it feeling like a more quiet game, his defensive efforts were good and when he did get a kick he hit two+ forward 50 targets on the chest, showcasing his big kicks.

I really see him being a good player for us. Think his ceiling will be B+ - don't think he'll end up an A grader but can see him being a 150-200 game player off the half back.

Oscar McInerney has been very impressive. He was a stand out for Casey last season in the VFL - i bet the Demons are wishing they rookie listed him now. They are desperate for a ruck. Good pick up by the Lions.

With him Arch and Steph all playing well, we might be forced to play two rucks at some point this year despite Martin always playing better solo. Oppurtunities usually present themselves through injury but regardless Im sure the club will be keen to get a handful of senior games into both our junior rucks this year.

With him Arch and Steph all playing well, we might be forced to play two rucks at some point this year despite Martin always playing better solo. Oppurtunities usually present themselves through injury but regardless Im sure the club will be keen to get a handful of senior games into both our junior rucks this year.

Have to say I agree with that. Steph is killing it, but some active 'management' to keep him fresh - and the other guys keen - might be smart.

McInerney is a rookie so we'd need a spot to open up for him - which in past years simply meant closing your eyes and counting to ten.

But even playing Archie in the ones, to see Oscar rucking alone in the NEAFL would be useful.

Don't know much about Luke O'Sullivan, but he looks sharp on the NEAFL highlight reel on the website. Picks off an intercept in the centre, streams forward a MD calmly slots it. Number 54 jumper.

Have to say I agree with that. Steph is killing it, but some active 'management' to keep him fresh - and the other guys keen - might be smart.

McInerney is a rookie so we'd need a spot to open up for him - which in past years simply meant closing your eyes and counting to ten.

But even playing Archie in the ones, to see Oscar rucking alone in the NEAFL would be useful.

Don't know much about Luke O'Sullivan, but he looks sharp on the NEAFL highlight reel on the website. Picks off an intercept in the centre, streams forward a MD calmly slots it. Number 54 jumper.
2016 academy graduate. We have quite a few topping up the reserves. The names in bold were not part of the academy last year as far as I know.
#50 – Ryan Dadds
#51 – Tyler Hausfeld
#52 – Will Fletcher
#53 – Walker Campbell
#54 – Luke O’Sullivan
#55 – Sam Copland
#56 – Charlie Pershouse
#57 – Jack Mammone
#58 – James Barnes

2016 academy graduate. We have quite a few topping up the reserves. The names in bold were not part of the academy last year as far as I know.
#50 – Ryan Dadds
#51 – Tyler Hausfeld
#52 – Will Fletcher
#53 – Walker Campbell
#54 – Luke O’Sullivan
#55 – Sam Copland
#56 – Charlie Pershouse
#57 – Jack Mammone
#58 – James Barnes

? Both have been part of the academy since at least 2014. Campbell was U18 last year, Hausfield is this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even spread again

Gold Coast v Brisbane

6: Marco Paparone (Brisbane)
5: Matt Hammelmann (Brisbane)
4: Tom Bell (Brisbane)
4: Archie Smith (Brisbane)
4: Josh Walker (Brisbane)
3: Darcy Macpherson (Gold Coast)
2: Matt Shaw (Gold Coast)
2: Josh Clayton (Brisbane)

Do we have to upgrade Hammer at the end of this year to retain him? He seems to have improved every year and big guys tend to be late bloomers.

Seems like a reasonable insurance policy at the least.

The problem is will he ever be big enough? Best case scenario we end up with a Jack Watts or Westhoff type.

The problem is will he ever be big enough? Best case scenario we end up with a Jack Watts or Westhoff type.
Even better he ends up a Tom Lynch (crows) type 3rd tall. Whether he would have the aerobic capacity of Lynch is the question though.

Will we be able to keep Hammer and Freeman at the end of the year especially when you consider Ballenden is a likely addition? If I had to choose right now i would go with Hammer, can play both ends and is showing improvement.

Even better he ends up a Tom Lynch (crows) type 3rd tall. Whether he would have the aerobic capacity of Lynch is the question though.

Will we be able to keep Hammer and Freeman at the end of the year especially when you consider Ballenden is a likely addition? If I had to choose right now i would go with Hammer, can play both ends and is showing improvement.

It's a tough choice; hammers speed vs Freeman's size. Both have big weaknesses but plenty of upsize. Ballenden would play a similar role to Freeman.

Surprised he is heavier than Closey with Closey's "new"upper body strength.

I actually thought Hammelmann's body shape changed dramatically between his first and second years, so I'm not totally surprised. That said, the information on the club's website could easily be a bit out of date and Close could be bigger now. Also for interest, Freeman is listed as 199 and 94, which is a decent chunk lighter again.

Ultimately, I don't think size will be an issue for Hammelmann. He has looked a bit uncomfortable or even timid at times in the backline and I suspect that might affect the way we view his physicality.

Don't pay any attention to those weights. They've never been accurate. No way in hell Stef Martin is only 3 kg heavier than Hammelmann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back