Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I may.

I’m not saying none of us where excited .... we are always excited by all recruits .... go back to the Bootsma thread ... soooo many people tripping over themselves. But in reality he was our first pick in a compromised draft who lets face it turned out to be a lump of coal who liked to polish himself a lot, but couldn’t turn himself into a diamond.

But until a player plays no one knows if his skill can take the leap to the bigtime.

Yes we may have all been excited and for those that picked it good on them all I remember is telling my brother in law what a gun Cripps was going to be, you could just tell after a couple of games.

But I am not so arrogant to think I was the only one, but I do remember staking my total footy knowledge credibility (which I will be honest is laughable) on him being a gun so yeah I think I’m worthy of being SOS’s gofer!
If you're talking VFL games then maybe you're on par with most people posting back then.

As a new poster I think I was a bit over the top regarding my criticisms of the Club - but people who are passionate supporters can often be 'over the top' - especially when confronted with the facts of continued epic fails every year in every aspect of the way the Club was managed relative to its better competitors.

I think I got a bit hot under the collar with the forum's myopic optimism and what appeared to me to be baseless one eyed support for even the most pathetic of 'footballers' bludging away on our list.

Over time, one learns patience because the Club was where it was and one learns to embrace the reality of a situation - you focus on positives and let the negatives write their own story....and then occasionally come out with a rant.

I cant fault anything SOS has done since he arrived at the Club - except maybe letting Tuohey go. I cant fault anything Bolton appears to be doing - and I especially congratulate the Board in (finally) embracing what needed to be done and that is join the 21st century, engage with other Clubs in well thought out trades and totally re-balance the age and quality profile of the list.

Carlton has invested in classy youth ( or at worst much better youth than previous regimes were able to source) and now time is being done.

We are back to at least being a serious Club as far as drafting and trading goes - and we are lucky to have a coach who is clearly desperate to build sustainable success - again a young coach with proper credentials for the 21st century.

No need to fuss about the past too much - the future is looking much better than it has for many years - but there are 17 other Clubs trying to do exactly the same things as Carlton - so no guarantees.

With the recent adjustments to the list (ie. over the past 2-3 years), the number of players who are "under the microscope" is getting smaller & smaller.

From my perspective, the ones who will come under scrutiny are :

Murphy - retire in a couple of years time
Simpson - retire
Kerridge - maybe, maybe not
Lamb - in limbo now
Garlett - thrown a lifeline, needs to take it
Rowe - retire
Mullett - short-term option only
O'Shea - short term option only
Phillips/Lobbe - one of them may not last much longer
Polson - may need to press his claims more
Graham - time to deliver or else
Thomas - retire
Casboult - short-term option only
Wright - retire
Cuningham - may need to press his claims more
Kerr - may need to press his claims more

I'm not suggesting that all of those named will automatically be dispensed with, just that that is where the changes will come from going forward.

The best part about that list is that it is largely made up of players who are on the verge of retirement, short-term options or some of the youngers guys who still have the chance to make the grade.

The list is looking healthier & healthier and there is real competition for places in the senior team, no-one gets "gifted" a game now.

I kind of get where you are coming from but the term 'needs to press his claims more' is a little vague. Every player needs to demonstrate improvement although I agree that does apply to some more than others.

Also, all the new mature age recruits have been 'thrown a lifeline, and needs to take it', so all of Mullett, O'Shea, Shaw & Lang should also be included alongside Garlett.

On top of which, Wright will not be retiring in the next two years. The guy is 28yo and has been near the top of our goal kicking since he came to the club. To say this would imply Ed and Kreuz would be out as well. All three provide huge impact in their allocated positions.

You also haven't mentioned either the 30yo A.SOS or Glass-McCaster who is now 21yo and still yet to play a game.

I reckon selling 2019 1st pick for a player that fits should be absolutely on the table. Back ourselves in, take the opportunity when it arises.

Now of course we don't know what may come about by years end, but let's try this, leading into the 2019 season.

Back-line:
Byrne Jones Plowman
Docherty Marchbank Weitering......Back-up: Macreadie, Williamson, Mullet and the odd mid finding their way here. Fair to say we're covered.

Midfield:
Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
SPS Kennedy Dow......................Back-up: ECurnow, 2018 FA, 2018 1st rounder, Trade the 2019 1st for a mid, Fisher, O'Brien and then a 2019FA.
...............................................Put names to those FA's and the trade and our midfield starts to look pretty good. More than pretty good.
Don't attack me, but for the fun of it, imagine: Cripps, Kennedy, SPS, Sloane (2018 FA) , Shiel (2019FA), Dow, Fisher Walsh (2018 1st rounder) Not bad.

Forward-line:
CCurnow McKay Pickett
Garlett ........... Silvagni...........Of course some of those excess mids slot into the forward line, but there may be a gap if Weitering doesn't come in.

Reckon we could well see the 2019 first on the table. Why not?

Hey man pot whoever u like as long as its not a Silvagni.

You just have to accept that the force runs strong in the family and leave it there.

Why poke the eyes outta the potato just enjoy the ride.

Then in 5 years come back to this post and realise how silly you were for questioning following blindly.

I don't advocate that either .... normally ... but this is Steve god damn Silvagni, full back of the century, and I don't know if u have noticed but for the first time in about 15 years I can again feel proud to be a Blues supporter. Much of that is the incredible job that SOS has done.

Has there been a family who collectively has done more for CFC? I doubt it.

So show a little respect and pay homage to House Silvagni .... its not following blindly its following someone who for the first time in 15 years know what the hell he is doing!

Finally I just want you to try and appreciate this .... being a champion aint easy, there is a special thing in all champions that separates them from everybody else. If u could bottle it and sell it you would be a trillionaire. But u can't, u r either born with it or not.

The Silvagni's have it in spades and thank Christ they are ours!

I grew up expecting success, because that was what it was to be a Blues supporter. And after all this time when I see a guy who doesn't back down, makes people his b*tch in trades rather than the other way around. When I see a list that is coming together beautifully after only three years when before it was so dire it was humiliating. But then I have to read ur response well tbh I think to myself ... this guy don't get it.

But hey its cool, its a forum. and u r more than entitled to your opinion.

But all I can say is that if SOS gave me an orange and told me take a bite outta the apple and tell him what I think of the taste.

Id tell him it was the juiciest, tastiest Apple Id ever eaten!

Blind .... we have been blind for 15 years .... House Silvagn is the eye opener

Jack may very well make it, but he is a tad more entitled, loves the lime-light and these are thngs that differ from his old man. I am not convinced totally yet (not writing Jack off either) He needs to keep improving, if he stagnates at his current level , others will overtake him I feel

Jack may very well make it, but he is a tad more entitled, loves the lime-light and these are thngs that differ from his old man. I am not convinced totally yet (not writing Jack off either) He needs to keep improving, if he stagnates at his current level , others will overtake him I feel
Not sure I've seen a sense of entitlement. Perhaps it's confidence.
And does he really love the limelight, or is he just used to it, having grown up in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back