Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think he's a better pick up (Lang) than Devon smith. Smith could realistically be a huge flop and based on how much he cost Essendon clearly there is something wrong with him. If we are seriously considering a lobbe contract for a pick upgrade then we have the money to spend. A few extra dollars would of easily enticed smith over. Sounds like it was us that said maybe it's best you pick Essendon and he thus saved face a bit. In the end if they don't pick Carlton we didn't want them.

Lang played a bulk of the season and wants to be a Geelong player. Yet isn't good enough for them to make an effort to retain. Completely different scenario than any of the others.
They're dangling him. If he doesn't get a trade they will make him an offer.

The system they play doesn't reward guys like Motlop and Lang, and it seems they want to double down on it and become a side that just smashes up the corridor as quickly as they can. I don't think it's smart, but if for now other teams are undervaluing enough types for them to get guys like Tom Stewart late, then so be it.

Do we need/expect an A-grader from pick 58?

We can't complain about our bottom 6 on the field every weekend and then pass up a nice opportunity to make a significant upgrade in that area.

I agree mate and I have no problem with Darcy Lang. However, from the outset we have maintained all along that we are focusing on drafting, we picked up the majority of our rising star noms from solid recruitment. He has proved no more than what Dylan Buckley did at the same stage of his career and we all know how that panned out.

Why do we waste a 2nd/early 3rd rounder on a fringe player when we could be picking up another Macreadie etc? This is where my problem with the Darcy Lang recruitment stems from. I'd be happy to part with a late 3rd/4th rounder, however I don't agree that the club should be accomodating for Lang just because he 'nominated' us.

I agree mate and I have no problem with Darcy Lang. However, from the outset we have maintained all along that we are focusing on drafting, we picked up the majority of our rising star noms from solid recruitment. He has proved no more than what Dylan Buckley did at the same stage of his career and we all know how that panned out.

Why do we waste a 2nd/early 3rd rounder on a fringe player when we could be picking up another Macreadie etc? This is where my problem with the Darcy Lang recruitment stems from. I'd be happy to part with a late 3rd/4th rounder, however I don't agree that the club should be accomodating for Lang just because he 'nominated' us.

Call SOS, I think he will disagree.
But what would SOS know about list management?

Fringe mid from Geelong.. can't get a game...reminds me of Billy smedts..not excited at all.

Gibbs will leave a huge hole but now is the time to cash in. If Cripps, murphy and e.curnow stays fit for the whole season his loss will be offset a little bit. Cripps goes down and we're toast.

Kennedy will be a quality addition.

Sakc Ratts
4-pack-bait-stations-large.jpg

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't have to be an A-Grader, a very solid & dependable B-Grader will suffice.

Yeah, I don't get the disdain for him. If we can use a 3rd or a 4th to bring in a guy who is a readymade player and will be ahead of several of our 'lesser' players then I don't see what the issue is. Round 23 we played Armfield, Thomas, Lamb, Graham, Kerridge and Smedts. I'd probably have Lang ahead of all of them. Depending on how Boekhorst tracks following his little showing of form Lang could be around the mark of him too, maybe even ahead. At least Lang tackles...

Why would be chasing Lobbe?? Is apparently on massive coin and unless we change our 1 ruck strategy he will be playing at Preston.

Why would be chasing Lobbe?? Is apparently on massive coin and unless we change our 1 ruck strategy he will be playing at Preston.
It is due to the fact that we have to spend some money without giving our young kids big heads... and by doing so, Port give us a pick that we can use to get Kennedy. Effectively, we are buying a decent draft pick because, right now, we can afford to.

Picks 10, 16 and future second round (Kennedy)! We just screwed Adelaide
I might be mistaken because i only heard it briefly, but the media might be missing a key point. I heard 10, 16 there future 2nd round and pick 70ish, but we're giving back our future 2nd. So we're downgrading our future 2nd. It may not be terribly relevant since they had probably already assigned it to a Kennedy deal. To get two firsts and shuffling is a good outcome.

Ahh, we gave up both our future 2nd and 3rd to get back their 2nd (Kennedy?) and we get 10, 16, and 70ish. We must be looking at something else significant to trade ourselves out of next years superdraft. More to come.

Poor media accuracy on the Gibbs deal. Further to my last post, with the details of the trade confirmed on the AFL website, Trade Radio are now suggesting that we got a different deal. They are saying we got back Adelaide's future 3rd round, which means we downgraded our 2nd and 3rd round picks next year in return for 10,16 and 73 this year (and obviously losing Gibbs). So now I'm not sure if we gave away our future 3rd, or if we gave it up but got their future 3rd in return (downgrade). It depends on who tells the story as to what we got in return. Look forward to some consistent reporting so we can assess the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back