Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

All done and dusted.

Very happy with the work we did and just as much that we backed our tall forwards by not getting Schache & Stringer.
They'll have their good games but not players you want to put your trust in.

We didn't lose anything by way of draft picks either and as a matter of fact we've improved markedly:
2017: #3, #10, #30
2018: Our first and now, two seconds.

Gained Kennedy, Lang and Lobbe as players, expecting Kennedy to be a first up starter next year.

We know we do pretty well with the types we draft, so looking forward to this and obviously next years draft periods, with possibly 6 players under pick 30 in the next two years.

Job well done.

People kept saying we had nothing to trade with etc but SOS pulled it off again

Two first rounds picks and two mids under 22 years old and a back up ruck.

Then SOS can have Picks 30, & 73 for some late Gold

Wouldn't be surprised by getting a DFA

Last edited:
Just based off where I think teams might finish next year, I see the rough wash up being ...

OUT : Gibbs, 40, 22, 40
IN : Kennedy, Lang, 10, 30, 36, 26

Obviously I ignore later picks in this assessment.

If 22 cancels out 26, and 40 cancels out 36, that means ...

OUT : Gibbs, 40
IN : Kennedy, Lang, 10, 30

To be perfectly honest I see Kennedy as a Gibbs replacement. Which means the net gain is : Lang, 10 and 30. Which means SOS has to chose wisely at 10 and 30 in the draft. But 10 is the key - he's got to ace that.

And if BENSOS is indeed a serious talent, then the extra second next year is worth its weight in gold.

Overall another excellent off season by SOS and it is clear our priority is youth, though the proof will be in the pudding which is picking well at the draft. In this respect it is comforting that he chose to retain 10 instead of trading it, say for a Schache type. Shows he has confidence in his picking.

We have done well out of this trade period considering we had limited resources to work with.

I really would of liked to snaffle Schache at the end but clearly our people didn't rate him high enough to go harder at it.

Next year will be a monster IMO, there will be another round of mass axings as we try to get deeper into the really strong 7 deep 2018 draft pool.

People kept saying we had nothing to trade with etc but SOS pulled it off again
Two first rounds picks and two mids under 22 years old and a back up ruck.
Then SOS can have Picks 30, 40 & 73 for some late Gold
Wouldn't be surprised by getting a DFA

We don't have the #40 any more.

Looks to me as though we'll only be taking three at the ND with 3 , 10 and 30. That may see us out.

So we bring in this year:

Picks 3, 10, 30 and maybe 73 plus 2-3 rookies.

Kennedy
Lang
Lobbe

So around 8-10 changes to the list. May bring in a DFA

*I reckon we will go to the 2018 draft with 5-6 picks minimum.

I give our trade period a B+

The deals we did are superb. I'm not a fan of Lang, but I suspect he was necessary to convince Bolts to let Gibbs go, and I'll defer to SOS judgment there. Didn't cost much, so who cares.

But I was screaming last week that Gold Coast were going to package up a bunch of picks and overpay, and I'm a bit peeved we missed out on cleaning up with them.

Still, we basically traded out Gibbs, and managed to bring in Kennedy, Lang, pick 10, and pick 30.

We'll get younger, add high quality draft picks and good young prospects, and stay competitve while being in prime position to get Rankine next year. Great stuff

So we bring in this year:

Picks 3, 10, 30 and maybe 73 plus 2-3 rookies.

Kennedy
Lang
Lobbe

So around 8-10 changes to the list. May bring in a DFA

*I reckon we will go to the 2018 draft with 5-6 picks minimum.

What’s our Rookie List status?

Was under the impression if Sumner lost some of the pork we’d put him on.

PAST
Boekhorst
Buckley

Casboult
Glass-McCasker
Graham
Kerridge
Lamb
LeBois
Palmer
Rowe (retiring)
Sheehan
Simpson (retiring)
Smedts
Thomas
White
Wright (retiring)

*any of those in red could still be delisted subject to the primary/rookie ratio the club employs

PRESENT
Curnow E.
Kreuzer
Lobbe
Murphy
Silvagni A.

FUTURE
Byrne
Curnow C.
Cripps
Cuningham
Docherty
Fisher
Jones
Kennedy
Kerr
Lang
MacCreadie
Marchbank
McKay
Petrevski-Seton
Phillips
Pickett
Plowman
Polson
Silvagni J.
Weitering
Williamson

* picks 3 & 10 should acquire two solid players who are added to the Future list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor media accuracy on the Gibbs deal. Further to my last post, with the details of the trade confirmed on the AFL website, Trade Radio are now suggesting that we got a different deal. They are saying we got back Adelaide's future 3rd round, which means we downgraded our 2nd and 3rd round picks next year in return for 10,16 and 73 this year (and obviously losing Gibbs). So now I'm not sure if we gave away our future 3rd, or if we gave it up but got their future 3rd in return (downgrade). It depends on who tells the story as to what we got in return. Look forward to some consistent reporting so we can assess the deal.
Consistent and accurate reporting from the media ? Ah yeah good luck with that!:D

Now we know what we have, so next year:

Byrne Jones Plowman
Docherty Marchbank Williamson___Can't see much wrong with that backline

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
Cuningham SPS Weitering________Reckon SPS will come on very quickly. Last year had little pre-season and still went at it like a bull.

Kennedy Casboult Thomas
CCurnow McKay Pickett__________We don't have to do anything but Mckay has to develop at the premium level.

ECurnow Fisher Wright Silvagni

Next: Simpson #3 #10 Lang Macreadie

All I see looking at that, is that FA's will come heavily into play, next year.

Now we know what we have, so next year:

Byrne Jones Plowman
Docherty Marchbank Williamson___Can't see much wrong with that backline

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
Cuningham SPS Weitering________Reckon SPS will come on very quickly. Last year had little pre-season and still went at it like a bull.

Kennedy Casboult Thomas
CCurnow McKay Pickett__________We don't have to do anything but Mckay has to develop at the premium level.

ECurnow Fisher Wright Silvagni

Next: Simpson #3 #10 Lang Macreadie

All I see looking at that, is that FA's will come heavily into play, next year.
are we overloaded with tall defenders, would Williamson be a good wing and lock in Macreadie half back?

So we currently have 38 on our senior list and 4 on our rookie list.

We will use 3, 10 and 30 in the national draft. Another delisting or two to happen for sure. Who will it be.

Happy we didn't end up trading Byrne. Was worried about that for a bit.
Also completely forgot about Boekhorst, I suppose no one was interested. Happy to give him 1 more year.

So we currently have 38 on our senior list and 4 on our rookie list.

We will use 3, 10 and 30 in the national draft. Another delisting or two to happen for sure. Who will it be.

Surely Buckley is first to be cut.

I reckon the order would be Buckley, Graham, White, Boek.

Personally i'd have White as second to be cut, but club seems to rate him. I hope Boek gets another chance and happy for Graham to get 1 more year.

Surely Buckley is first to be cut.

I reckon the order would be Buckley, Graham, White, Boek.

Personally i'd have White as second to be cut, but club seems to rate him. I hope Boek gets another chance and happy for Graham to get 1 more year.

Palmer would have to be up the top.

Him & Lobbe splitting god knows what between them just don’t sit right.

Best 22 Round One 2018:

Docherty Weitering Marchbank
Byrne Jones Williamson

Kruezer Kennedy Murphy
Cuningham Cripps SPS

Charlie Casboult Pickett
Wright McKay Silvagni

Int: Lang Plowman Curnow Simpson

Best 22 Round 23 2018 heading into trade/draft period

Docherty Weitering Plowman
Byrne Marchbank Williamson

Kruezer Kennedy Fisher
Pickett Cripps SPS

Charlie McKay Cuningham
Murphy Kerr LeBois

Int: Curnow Cerra Brayshaw Jones

in the mix: Silvagni Lang Polson Wright Macreadie ASOS Rowe Pick 30

Permanant depth only players: Phillips Lobbe Thomas Graham Smedts White Lamb Kerridge

Say we finish 12th next year. Goto the draft with pick 8. BSos is a jet gets nominated top 15 use our 2 second round draft picks on him. Use our 4th on will hickmott. Throw the sink at gaff and T Lynch

End up with lynch, Gaff, pick 8, BSos, hickmott.

Things on the way up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back