Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

Only small deficiencies are that he can’t kick, handball, run, tag, defend, attack or tackle.

In cricket, an Australian all-rounder is someone who isn't good enough at either batting or bowling to be in the side.

In footy, a swingman is equally inept at both ends of the ground?

In footy, a swingman is equally inept at both ends of the ground?

Pretty much.

The trend started with Hunter at West Coast who was actualy pretty good in the role.

You want a tall on the bench. He needs to be able to play a few different roles, and provide height where it's needed. Generally means 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

Exaggerating a bit mate. He's a handy player. No worldbeater at AFL level, but has a role and usually does it OK.

Ok a bit of hyperbole I’ll admit, but someone like Williamson would be much better suited for what you’re asking.

I think Bolton is going to set a very high bar this coming season regarding possession and disposal of the footy. And I don’t think Simon White reaches that level.

But I would like him down back in the VFL - the experience would be handy there. Same with Thomas.

Just based off where I think teams might finish next year, I see the rough wash up being ...

OUT : Gibbs, 40, 22, 40
IN : Kennedy, Lang, 10, 30, 36, 26

Obviously I ignore later picks in this assessment.

If 22 cancels out 26, and 40 cancels out 36, that means ...

OUT : Gibbs, 40
IN : Kennedy, Lang, 10, 30

To be perfectly honest I see Kennedy as a Gibbs replacement. Which means the net gain is : Lang, 10 and 30. Which means SOS has to chose wisely at 10 and 30 in the draft. But 10 is the key - he's got to ace that.

And if BENSOS is indeed a serious talent, then the extra second next year is worth its weight in gold.

Overall another excellent off season by SOS and it is clear our priority is youth, though the proof will be in the pudding which is picking well at the draft. In this respect it is comforting that he chose to retain 10 instead of trading it, say for a Schache type. Shows he has confidence in his picking.
Gibbs will leave a hole,which is why SOS wouldnt let Crows have him last as our entire structure could have collapsed down the spine in 2017...
2018 will be another tough year for Carlton..we got a lot of drive off Gibbs and hopefully the maturing drafts will bubble up pretty quickly now and flourish.
Lang is a power house unit...watch this[good trade]
Kennedy will have a lot of responsibility in a wide open midfield which is why he chose us.
Got a depth Ruck......and thats a good idea

Agreed.

Only small deficiencies are that he can’t kick, handball, run, tag, defend, attack or tackle.

White will stay because Bolts loves him and he’s a good clubman. But if he’s not spending most of his year at VFL then either we’ve been struck by injury or he has compromising photos of Bolton.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

From a list management point of view, today was a masterclass by SOS.

29yo out for 20yo, 21yo plus double-dip in top 10 of draft. Buying a backup ruck (needed) for nothing.

List wealth grew today FOR SURE. Oh, we'll get hammered next year and Gibbs will star at Adelaide, but long term, it was the day we had to have and it's gone very well. 3, 10, Kennedy... if we draft/develop them right, the list is in a tremendously exciting place.

Maybe I'm looking through blue coloured glasses, but given a reasonable run with injuries, I like the look of our squad for next year.

No certainty to make finals, but I think we'll be contending.

Kennedy will be in his third year and Lang in his fifth, and I have solid expectations for both of them. Natural improvement can be expected from, Cuningham, Charlie Curnow, Fisher, MacReadie, Marchbank, McKay, Petrevski-Seton, Pickett, Polson, Jack Silvagni, Weitering and Williamson. Not all of them will progress, but a majority will, and there is a fundamental quality about them which is above average.

Losing Gibbs hurts us, and Rockliff may have been a good addition, but there's a hell of a lot to like going into 2018.

Im bullish on Kerr making it and potentially the reason we didn't go for Schache. Have seen him and Polson in the players break during the past few weeks, working hard down at Ikon. Seems to have a really great attitude to make the most out of his opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im bullish on Kerr making it and potentially the reason we didn't go for Schache. Have seen him and Polson in the players break during the past few weeks, working hard down at Ikon. Seems to have a really great attitude to make the most out of his opportunity.

That's great to hear.

I want my youth to have supreme work ethic and professionalism. Diet + strength training absolute prerequisites.

Willo has been in the gym too, legs look a little bigger according to Instagram.

That's great to hear.

I want my youth to have supreme work ethic and professionalism. Diet + strength training absolute prerequisites.

Willo has been in the gym too, legs look a little bigger according to Instagram.

Agree.

Like to see Williamson push into the midfield more so as a running hb.

With that weapon of a foot reckon he’s most dangerous behind the centre, if you know what I mean.

Agree.

Like to see Williamson push into the midfield more so as a running hb.

With that weapon of a foot reckon he’s most dangerous behind the centre, if you know what I mean.

Same. Beautiful athlete (size + mobility), handles the ball extremely well and uses it even better.

Pick 61!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to the players I'll miss out naming here, but we may have the following as best 22 players, plucked from the last 3 trade/draft periods:

2015: Weitering, CCurnow, McKay, Silvagni, Cuningham
2016: Marchbank, Pickett, Petrevski-Seton, Macreadie, Williamson, Fisher
2017: Kennedy, Pick #3, Pick #10

We don't really know what this years draft picks will bring along, but given the recent drafting history, they'll likely work out and if they do:
That could make for 14 best 22 players 21 years of age or under, up and about next year.

Pick 3 > LDU
Pick 10 > Higgins
Pick 30 > Tim Kelly

DFA > Shaw

Plow(23) Jones(27) Weitering(20)
Doch(24) Marchbank(21) Byrne(23)
Murphy(31) Cripps(23) SPS(20)
Pickett(22) Casboult(28) Lang(22)
Silvagni(20) McKay(20) Fisher(20)

Kruezer(29) Charlie(21) Kennedy(21)

Kelly(23) LDU(19) Cuningham(21) Ed(28)

Williamson(19) Shaw(26) Wright(28) Higgins(19) Kerr(20) Macreadie (20) Kerridge(25) Lamb(25) Phillips(26) Simpson(34) Boekhorst(24) Lobbe(29)

Potentially 1 teenager and 1 over 30 in our best 22 next year. 9 under 22 but with all bar two of those being ex-first round draft picks, I think we can get more out of them than your regular 20 y.o. I'm expecting us to be a better side next year.

Last edited:
Any chance we'd be interested in Sam Hayes at pick 10 if he gets there?

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/19244198/knightmares-afl-draft-wrap-sam-hayes-starring-ruck

Hayes was a powerhouse through the ruck but his play around the ground was equally impressive. Taking a commanding contested mark from a kick out, using his body effectively in the contest. He was clean at ground level and also involved in general play.

While Hayes did not receive the opportunity in this game, he is also a genuine threat when utilized as a key forward with his vice-like hands overhead and body-on-body strength making him very hard to defend.

With Hayes' dominance and advanced game it would be reasonable to compare him to a young Matthew Kreuzer. Hayes has the opportunity to follow in Kreuzer's footsteps to become a two time All-Australian Under-18 ruckman and will likely also feature in the first round of the draft at seasons end.

Schache is a Bulldog .......................... damn !!!!
I know, spewing we missed out on Schache but still a great trade period. Need to keep strengthening midfield and forward line now in draft and delisted free
S White one more year?
Fair point. I prefer Williamson in that role though. Unless you see him replacing Docherty (although I think it'd be a mistake to move Docherty from where he's the best in the comp).
I have to agree on first point and respectfully disagree on the second.
White is finished imo, he's a mediocre player who can only really play effectively in defence, where we have a surplus of talent.
But I definitely see Docks moving into the midfield. He's a gun wherever he plays and now we've lost Gibbs, he would add speed, class and experience into a fairly inexperienced and slow midfield. We can replace him down back with Casey and or Williamson

Im torn on this one, but Im saying no.

He bombed the endurance at the combine (8 minute+ 2km).

Id rather some of the other names on the board at 10 I reckon.

We got a back up ruckman in Lobbe, and Kruezer has another 3 years left in him at least yet. Phillips provides a third ruck option.

We need to target a young ruckman not getting a game at another side next year or the year after.

Sorry to the players I'll miss out naming here, but we may have the following as best 22 players, plucked from the last 3 trade/draft periods:

2015: Weitering, CCurnow, McKay, Silvagni, Cuningham
2016: Marchbank, Pickett, Petrevski-Seton, Macreadie, Williamson, Fisher
2017: Kennedy, Pick #3, Pick #10

We don't really know what this years draft picks will bring along, but given the recent drafting history, they'll likely work out and if they do:
That could make for 14 best 22 players 21 years of age or under, up and about next year.

Draft classes:
2010: 15 Smedts, 21 Lamb
2011: 10 Sumner, 12 Docherty, 27 Kerridge, 44 Rowe, 62 Buckley
2012: 3 Plowman, 54 Graham
2013: 13 Cripps, 16 Lang
2014: 4 Pickett, 6 Marchbank, 19 Boekhorst
2015: 1 Weitering, 10 McKay, 12 Curnow, 13 Kennedy, 23 Cuningham, 53 Silvagni,
2016: 6 SPS, 27 Fisher, 47 Macreadie, 59 Polson, 61 Williamson, 65 Kerr
2017: 3, 10, 30, 73.

Some aren't gonna be there on match day (or next year... Sumner, Buckley?) but it's interesting reading all in context. Going by the trend with our strike rate I'm guessing we're more likely to make the most of our picks rather than get another Lucas, McInnes, Watson, etc.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lots of options for a list in 2018 should see us in the mix to be a middle of the road team, threatening to make finals. I feel like, and mentioned earlier, that Weitering and Curnow need to make the step to consistency as elite players for that to happen.

Byrne Jones Plowman
Doc Weitering Marchbank
Williamson Cripps Cunningham
Wright Casboult C Curnow
JSOS Mckay Pickett
Kreuz Kennedy Murphy
Dow E Curnow Brayshaw Lang

Probably missing a few, thus the options. Doesn't take into account pick 10. Cas still does chop out ruck work, but more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back