Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why they’re continuing with the rookie draft considering the rule change, doesn’t make sense to me but I’m sure there’s a reason

Yeah, waiting to hear more about how this all changes with salary cap and drafts in time.
It's because Cat B has basically become what the rookie list was supposed to be about, so it's the beginnings of a phase out of the Cat A list.

Not sure why they’re continuing with the rookie draft considering the rule change, doesn’t make sense to me but I’m sure there’s a reason
It should be called a Supplementary List ..... I think they delayed that name change for a few years due to the 'supplement' bit.

What is it with all these 'experts' aka Terry Wallace smashing us during a rebuild? Essendon haven't won a final since 2004, Melbourne haven't fired a shot since 2000, Collingwood are going backwards and North... well I don't think even North know what they're doing. We have a brilliant young coach, an elite young core and a game plan that has shown us as being capable against the best. Smashing Carlton is a low hanging fruit and bloody boring, think we'll surprise a few next year.

I don't think Wallace was "smashing" Carlton in his analysis. He just said that we are vulnerable as we have very few middle age range players so he hopes that not too much pressure is put on the kids if the senior players don't have such a good season. In other words that would be bad for their development.

Both milestones fall at the same time.

If both don't miss any games leading up to their milestones, it will be against Port in Rnd 15 at the MCG which is our home game.
That will be awesome. I didn't realise both fell on the same game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It should be called a Supplementary List ..... I think they delayed that name change for a few years due to the 'supplement' bit.

Spot on.
Should have been called that a few years ago when the rookie label sounded silly and guys like Ben Hudson and Heath Scotland were part of "rookie lists"

Going off this seasons ladder, we will need 9 or more wins next year to get out of the bottom 6.

Whats also interesting is that the Dockers out scored us by 13 points for the season but our defence was over 100 points better, yet they won 2 more games than us.

What I'm trying to say is, the bottom half of the ladder is very tight and we could easily end up wining 8-10 games.

So far in this offseason we have managed essentially the following trade offs:

Gibbs>Kennedy
Armfield>Lang
Buckley>Mullett
Gorringe>Lobbe
Boekhorst> Pick 3
Jaksch > Pick 10
Smedts> Pick 30
Palmer> Pick 73
White> Rookie Pick 3
Korcheck> Rookie Pick 21
Gallucci> Rookie Pick 39
Sumner > Rookie Pick 57
Sheehan > Cat B Rookie?

While we obviously lose the Gibbs> Kennedy trade off in the immediate future, we will presumably win it in the long run (more games out of Kennedy).

Armfield had some real high impact games but was on the slide, I'd back lang to improve on his output.

Dylan couldn't get a game at AFL level, Mullett should be a step up.

Gorringe couldn't ruck, could run. Lobbe can ruck, can mark, can play.

Then we get to Boekhorst, Jaksch, Smedts and Palmer for the draft picks. While potentially Boekhorst might have produced more at AFL level than a draftee in 2018, I doubt it.

I am suggesting that we will take 1 more rookie this year rather than use the main list spot, although I wouldn't be surprised by Hartung if that came about.

I think we are looking for a new Cat B rookie to take Sheehan's spot.

Gibbs>Kennedy
Armfield>Lang
Buckley>Mullett
Gorringe>Lobbe
Boekhorst> Pick 3
Jaksch > Pick 10
Smedts> Pick 30
Palmer> Pick 73
White> Rookie Pick 3
Korcheck> Rookie Pick 21
Gallucci> Rookie Pick 39
Sumner > Rookie Pick 57
Sheehan > Cat B Rookie?

Korcheck only a Cat B as well so bring the other rookies up a rung.
Hope Gus was moved on with an eye on a Cat B Irish replacement.
Interesting times ahead with what’s in the wings.

Can you imagine?

We get 2x R1 picks for Gibbs

Then get Sloane for nothing as a Free Agent?

Hilarious!!!!

Thing are starting to even up with the crow, they got Jacobs for peanuts but you would say we won the Menzel trade. It looks like we are either even or slightly a head in the Gibbs trade. So I see steeling Sloane as pay back for Betts.

Gibbs>Kennedy
Armfield>Lang
Buckley>Mullett
Gorringe>Lobbe
Boekhorst> Pick 3
Jaksch > Pick 10
Smedts> Pick 30
Palmer> Pick 73
White> Rookie Pick 3
Korcheck> Rookie Pick 21
Gallucci> Rookie Pick 39
Sumner > Rookie Pick 57
Sheehan > Cat B Rookie?

While we obviously lose the Gibbs> Kennedy trade off in the immediate future, we will presumably win it in the long run (more games out of Kennedy).

Armfield had some real high impact games but was on the slide, I'd back lang to improve on his output.

Dylan couldn't get a game at AFL level, Mullett should be a step up.

Gorringe couldn't ruck, could run. Lobbe can ruck, can mark, can play.

Then we get to Boekhorst, Jaksch, Smedts and Palmer for the draft picks. While potentially Boekhorst might have produced more at AFL level than a draftee in 2018, I doubt it.

I am suggesting that we will take 1 more rookie this year rather than use the main list spot, although I wouldn't be surprised by Hartung if that came about.

Good post.

Incremental improvement across all list positions, and the natural progression of the younger brigade, gives us good reason for optimism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back